WOMENS FORUM - styling hair and putting on makeup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bliss149

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest the cheapest way to get enough power to run a blow dryer and/or curling iron and enough light to put on makeup inside a van or suv? 

Mainly this would be stealth camping in urban areas in order to afford to travel. Maybe in a few years full timing. Who knows - might need to do it sooner rather than later. But dont have the money to spend thousands then maybe decide its not for me. I need to start off as economically as i can.

Ive been reading and watching videos for a few months but the thing with the batteries and inverters and all that is kind of overwheming. I am very dumb about things like that.

Thanks in advance for your help@

For curling irons you can buy one that runs off butane cartridges. I used to have one but I switched to a haircut that does not need blow drying or a curling iron. You need to find a good stylist who knows what they are doing when it comes to cutting hair so that it falls just right. Then take lots of photos from all sides. You need the photos to show the next person who cuts your hair so they have a pattern to follow.

As far as lighting goes you can purchase a makeup mirror that has battery powered lights in it. There are even some that clip onto the visors, so you could sit in the passenger seat and have a makeup station right there with all the supplies at hand in a bag or case.

Something I have been doing the past couple of years: no more makeup, unless it's a very special occasion. (Sort of, see last paragraph below.) Why is it expected of women but not men?

I agree with maki2. A Good Haircut won't require styling. Go with what your hair wants to do. Freedom is not having to be someone you are not.

An alternative to applying makeup would be permanent cosmetics (aka tattoos). Eyeliner, brows and lips are the most common. Be absolutely certain of the skill and knowledge of the artist who does it. Referrals and lots of pictures of others who have had it done. I had eyeliner and lips done ten+ years ago and have never regretted it.

When it comes to makeup, hair, clothes, shoes, diets, decorating or hobbies

I won't judge what you want to do if you don't judge what I want to do :)

Maki2,

Since your comment immediately follows mine, I assume that is what you think about my post. Nope. What one chooses to do with their appearance is their choice.  However, there is so much pressure for women to look a certain way; I do have a problem with that in today's culture.  But that is a topic for a separate thread.

Best wishes.

You would be wrong in your assumption. I was just commenting that some people will want to have curling irons, blow dryers, makeup mirrors etc and other will not. I owned one of the propane hair curlers for quite a lot of years. Of course I have never been one to conform to what is expected of women in society for much of anything. Beside there is no universal opinion in this world for how women are supposed to wear their hair or wear makeup. Some cultural groups insist on women covering their hair and some don't approve of makeup.

If i was out boondocking i might just put on tinted sunblock and leave it at that. But i dont feel comfortable without makeup out in public. I had a raging case of acne and still have scarring so I just feel better about myself with a little base, blush, mascara, lipstick, and concealer for my "crypt keeper" dark circles.

I did just get my brows microbladed which saves a huge amount of time because it was a major ordeal to create brows every day.

Hair is cut every 3 weeks - very short and now takes under 5 min to style but the kind of hair i have just requires a little help. With a curling iron, i could just blow dry when i go somewhere to shower. So i think im all set! Woohoo!

I think makeup became popular centuries ago with the upper classes because of all the facial scarring created by the various pox diseases as well as acne. Of course when it comes to wearing too much makeup in the 18th century it was being done by both the men and the women. They also made their hair white and as the powder and makeup contained lead it made hair fall out which then created the fashion for wearing elaborately styled powdered wigs. That makeup craze literally made the upper class go nuts. They knew lead could kill but they did it anyway. Got to look your best when everyone is looking at you! Must stay in step with the latest fashions when you are part of society. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/museums-static/objectretrieval/node/111

The good old days were truly not all that great and in other ways not all that different. The goth look was pretty heavy into makeup and looking like you were the walking dead but at least their makeup was not literally killing them.

I do have one tip for how to get your hair dried quickly. Use a microfiber towel instead of a cotton towel. It really pulls the water off your hair much quicker and more effectively. Do a blotting motion or wrapping it around section of your hair and squeeze. You can dry it by rubbing the towel on your head the way you would with a cotton towel, but it might also feel to some people like it is pulling too hard on the hair unless you have one of the smooth texture micro fiber towels. They also make micro fiber turban wraps to put around your hair after you get done washing it.

Yes you can purchase smooth, soft surface, micro fiber towels. Not all of them feel like a cats rough tongue licking your skin.

I'm looking forward to trying foam or velcro rollers once I get on the road. I raised five kids alone and gave up on trying to keep track of anything (Ie. rollers and makeup). Soon everything I own will be in one place... finally. Anyway, I used to use curling irons when I was young, but I've noticed my hair (what's left of it) barely holds a curl now. So, I want to try the old fashioned way with setting gel and rollers.

Microfiber towel is a great idea. I dont have that much hair so it would be really close to dry at that point. Plus they take up less space than "big fluffies."

Im experimenting with less on all fronts but enjoying learning from you all.

Bliss149 said:
Can anyone suggest the cheapest way to get enough power to run a blow dryer and/or curling iron and enough light to put on makeup inside a van or suv? 
Join a gym. For $10 per month you can use your blow dryer, put on makeup, heck even shower. And while you are there, why not do some cardio on the machines and lift some weights.  You might get a healthy glow going and not need all 100 of those chemicals you are applying to perfectly good facial skin.    ~crofter

(crofter is allergic to those 100 chemicals that are used in make up. What is really scary is those air brushed makeup. I have never seen anyone putting on air brushed makeup and wearing a respirator. All those tiny droplets must be also coating the person's lungs while they are applying the stuff. And then they will look really good in an iron lung after their lungs give out. )

While I usually don't wear make up out here, I do for special occasions (just so I remember how, lol)
I have medium length naturally curly hair, and I have found that Hurley hair really works for me (surfer style). I just wash, salt spray, put on one of those microfiber turbans and let it dry. It looks neat while wet and then stays nicely in an updo for camping.
Do plan to condition if you're headed for the desert. I use conditioner and then herbal hair oil between washings. I have normal to dry hair that does fine with twice weekly washings in good weather, once a week when it's cold and dry.

I found a 35w hair straightener and a 55w curling iron from Walmart a couple years back which works great on a 300w cig-lighter inverter. Takes maybe 4-6 minutes for them to warm but they work alright. My wife is trans-female and uses a lot of foundation per day, so we had to make the back 'kitchen' of our SUV big enough to double as our make-up desk. But as pricing goes we always look for the cheapest solutions, despite being on the road for years.

+1 on the micro-fiber towel idea, it works great for us.

Carla618 said:
I'm looking forward to trying foam or velcro rollers once I get on the road. I raised five kids alone and gave up on trying to keep track of anything (Ie. rollers and makeup). Soon everything I own will be in one place... finally. Anyway, I used to use curling irons when I was young, but I've noticed my hair (what's left of it) barely holds a curl now. So, I want to try the old fashioned way with setting gel and rollers.
lolol, I remember those old foam curlers. My mom used them and tried to use them on me. I hated sleeping with them in, I still do. Maybe I'll shave my head bald and just buy a wig. The hair in back is naturally curly but my bangs are straight. I hate it.

My hair developed gentle curls all on its own this summer, it used to be very straight. Just got a shag cut the other day so now it is easy to wash. Takes less than 3 cups of water in a small pressure sprayer to shampoo and rinse it. I have an outdoors table around 30 insches high. I lean across it and that keeps my clothes dry. But a raincooat also helps. . On cold days I warm up the water. So a shampoo is quick and easy to do. No sink, tub, bucket or shower required.

Before I went on the road I wondered how much of a hasslle it was going to be to wash my hair. Turns out it is no trouble at all.

My hair is naturally oily, I don't use conditioner on it. Because I don' t use blow dryers, hot curlers, sprays and gels it stays in good condition.

Maki2 this is so helpful.

Since i posted this i have been experimenting with doing less of this stuff. Im still working in a position that i need to look sort of polished but i cannot wait to no longer have to do it.

My hair is very short so if you can wash yours with a sprayer and 3c water, it will take even less for me. And yeah, it looks a little better with blow drying/styling but im really starting not to GAF lol.