Fully charge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trebor English

Reaction score
In the absence of THE charging enthusiast it seems that full charging hasn't been encouraged enough.  With that thought it seemed appropriate to do something about it.  Here's my attempt.

During the day with solar does the battery get fully charged most days?  I mean fully charged as the absorption voltage, 14.4 or 14.8 or whatever your battery spec says, is held for hours until the charge current accepted by the battery bank drops to 1% of C or 1/2% of C?

The reason I asked is because lead acid batteries don't like partial state of charge cycling.  Lithiums don't seem to mind it but lead acids get a capacity loss.  If you only recharge to 95% that becomes the new full.  

Think of a dry sponge standing on edge.  As you spritz it on one side with a spray mist squirt bottle it absorbs the water.  That's like a lead plate taking up sulfate ions from the sulfuric acid becoming lead sulfate as a battery discharges.  At first the outer surface gets moist then the moisture gets deeper as you spritz it more.  When you charge the battery it is like blowing it with a hair dryer.  Quickly the surface dries but the drying process slows as the remaining moisture is deeper inside the sponge.  While holding 14.4 volts the charging current tapers away as the remaining sulfate ions are harder to get to.  Eventually it dries.  If you moisten it 60% full of water, 60% discharged, and then dry it to 95% dry, 5% still wet, there is some moisture remaining.  The remaining moisture is deep.  Then if you moisten 10% and remove 10%, that buried 5% is still there, untouched.  Lead sulfate hardens and cannot be removed.  Think of mold growing in your sponge.  Once the mold grows and takes up that deeply buried 5% moisture it is stuck as the mold will hold the moisture even as the surrounding sponge gets dry.  That moldy 5% of the sponge no longer has the capacity to take more water or give back the water.  As you apply charging voltage, blow with the hair dryer, you can only reach the surface directly.  The deeper the moisture the slower the drying.  The older the moisture the more it is held by the mold.  

Your 100 amp hour battery is now a 95 amp hour battery.  Repeat monthly and the once proud 100 amp battery is only 95 - 4.75 = 90.25 amp hour.  Next month it is only 85.7375 amp hour.  

With AGM and gel batteries you cannot use a hydrometer to measure the electrolyte to determine how much sulfur is in the sulfuric acid and by deduction how much is still buried in the plates.  The only thing you can do is fully charge the battery, as described above, and reset your coulomb counter battery monitor.  When you set up your battery monitor one of the things you told it was your battery capacity.  If you were to take 60 amp hours from a 100 amp hour battery that's 60%.  If you take 60 amp hours from a 4 month old 81.45 amp hour battery that's almost 74% not 60%.  The situation spirals.  

What you see is the charging puts in amp hours and the battery voltage goes up and everything is good.  As your capacity vanishes everything is fine until the fridge beeps and gives a low battery voltage error code.  Then you are puzzled. The solar is charging and the battery is full by 10AM.  It used to take until noon but now it works better than ever, it is full by 10.  The green light on the charge controller says the battery is full and the voltmeter says 14.4 then float mode, 13.8, so nothing is wrong.  But the fridge won't run past 3 AM.  The battery is now only a 50 amp hour battery.  It charges in half the time.  The battery monitor still says it has 100 amp hours in it because it is full.  It can only give 20 amp hours before it's down to 11.9 volts at a 5 amp load.  

This is, in my opinion, the main benefit of LiFePo4 batteries.  They can go 10 years cycling in the 20% to 80% range with no need to ever get to 100%

With flooded lead acid batteries you can see the problem developing.  Specific gravity drops and water consumption rises.  You can do something about it.  You can discharge to 10.5 volts or beyond, leave stuff on till it's dead.  Get that sponge wet all the way through then recharge using an elevated absorption voltage, maybe up to 16 volts, and get back some of the lost capacity.  While doing that don't overheat the battery and keep adding distilled water.  It will take a lot.  It won't get back all the capacity and it won't speed up charging like when it was new but it can help.  It's better to avoid the problem with better charging in the first place.  Seriously, monitor the temperature of the battery and don't overheat it.  

I hope the sponge analogy helps.

Trebor English said:
... When you set up your battery monitor one of the things you told it was your battery capacity....

I don't know about other batteries, but FLA batteries AH capacity changes depending on how they are depleted. My batteries are considered 208ah @20ah discharge rate. At 5ah discharge rate they are considered 156ah capacity. Does this different discharge rate affect other battery types ah capacity rating? Does that question make sense?

Wabbit said:
I don't know about other batteries, but FLA batteries AH capacity changes depending on how they are depleted. My batteries are considered 208ah @20ah discharge rate. At 5ah discharge rate they are considered 156ah capacity. Does this different discharge rate affect other battery types ah capacity rating? Does that question make sense?

For example, the various Victron 700 models of battery monitors take the 20 hour rate and the Peukert coefficient.  At any discharge rate it calculates the effect on the battery based on these two.  A 5 amp discharge rate on a 35 amp hour wheelchair battery would have a greater effect than a 5 amp discharge rate on a 200 amp hour battery.  Battery manufacturers (some) publish their Peukert coefficients.  If they don't Victron suggests 1.25.  This enables the battery monitor to calculate the effect of any discharge rate as it varies over time.  The fridge starts at 5 amps and a minute later it has gradually changed to 4 amps.  

This calculation takes care of the issue of differing discharge rates.

Lithium batteries generally have coefficients closer to 1 than is typical of lead acid batteries.  The variation of discharge rate has less effect on them.  

The inexpensive $20 amp hour meters on Amazon don't do the calculation.  They just count the amp hours.  
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-100V-Display-Multimeter-Voltmeter/dp/B013PKYILS/

The wikipedia article has more information.

The biggest problem to me with charging lead acid with solar is voltage drop. Thats why I never got a full charge, the charge controller which controls charging would read 14.4 volts but the battery itself when check with multimeter read 14 volts. I believe thats why many controller are switching to float too early.

To compensate for the controller not going into absorb regime,  I had to raise the float voltage to 14.3 volts but even then the battery was never getting a full charge. I later found the .5 volt voltage drop, and should have got me to raise the bulk to 15 volts to compensate but the battery (102 ah agm) was already maybe a 40 ah capacity only.  

A fully charge battery is a happy battery. Double check the voltage at the battery terminals and bounce against the voltage on charge controller, if they don't match raise the bulk voltage asap to compensate or use thicker gauge wires from controller to the battery. 

Took me years to find how voltage drop affects battery charging, I only found about it when I started charging lithium and was getting low charging from the controller. But it affects lead acid even worst since they need a full charge every time. Thats why I recommend everyone get fully programmable charge controllers, you need to be able to adjust the bulk/float voltage.

I have a cheap PWM controller, the blue one.  It is set in tenth volt steps.  I want 14.4 in summer and 14.8 in winter at the battery so I set the controller to 14.6 and 15.  The volt meter at the battery is the one that counts.

The cheap PWM, the blue one, holds the programmed voltage until the sun goes down.  If I set the programmed voltage too high my battery will have excessive positive grid corrosion.  Too low will cause sulfation.  Monthly hydrometer check and 30 ml per cell water use lead me to think I'm avoiding sulfation.  

The tiny slip of paper that came with the cheap PWM controller calls that one programmable voltage "float" but it is the constant voltage charge setting.  Some people call that "absorb."  I wonder how many batteries have been killed by people setting that voltage to 13.8 volts and charging their battery at only 13.5 volts never even getting to 14.  

If I had designed the software for that controller I would have it look at the battery voltage immediately after turning off the PWM pulse to see the voltage with no charging current voltage drop added to the reading.

In the systems I've done at remote camps using a gen set, charger, inverter & 6 golf cat batteries & only a solar panel for the long times we wern't there. We would equalize the batteries (overcharge) every so often just like you do electric lift truck batteries. I just sold a 6500$ cap Yale with a great 36vbI had planned on doing solor on the farm as the house & hanger have south facing roofs but I can't justify the payback as I can no longer install it myself. I got 12 years out of 2 sets of batteries one here at a cabin on the back of the farm & the remote cabin in the UP. So are you talking about eayalizing them for more life? In forkfift 4000# batteries we'd add a bit of battery acid in the water when we refilled them. Maybe I was doing it wrong I don't know but I also never drew them down below 20% of full charge. Please let me knowwhat I was doing wrong & what I nned to do with solar, planning on 4-325 watt panels, the best controller, etc, Thanks! Eric

If there is sulfation and serious charging, equalizing charge, doesn't get the specific gravity all the way back adding some acid to the electrolyte isn't a horrible idea.  Too much will cause corrosion but if you already have sulfation you could be prolonging the battery life.  

Never using more than 20% of the capacity won't hurt them.  They can go many more days at 20% each day than using 80% each day.  On the other hand you have a much bigger more expensive battery than you need.  In a 6500 pound fork lift you still need the weight anyway so it's all good.  

Manufacturers of batteries sometimes really do know about their products.  Their recommendations on how to maintain the batteries are intended to get the longest service life.  That makes you a happy customer and you buy more from them next time.  Some customers own fork lifts, some have fleets of golf carts.  I would say that getting 12 years service is good, killing batteries in a year is wrong.  I think you did nothing wrong.

12 years out of two sets is averaging 6 years a set. It sounds like you're talking about FLA batteries. That's pretty impressive!

EDIT: Forgot to add...that Peukert Coefficient algorithm programmed right into the CC is pretty cool!

Wabbit said:
12 years out of two sets is averaging 6 years a set. 

"2 sets of batteries one here at a cabin on the back of the farm & the remote cabin in the UP."

Average 12 years, 2 sets at two places.   

Charging with generator and solar with some extended periods idle and lightly discharging all add up to long life.  You don't get that by letting them sit discharged, ever.

some math is wrong. The amp hour rating of a lead acid battery is based on discharge to dead over 20 hours. it is a difficult test to perform accurately. My 230 amp hour battery will last 20 hours to dead at 11.5 steady amps. If I discharged at steady 23 amps, the same battery would not last 10 hours, it would be dead sooner. If I discharged at steady 5.75 amps it would last longer than 40 hours. This is due to Perkerts effects which varies by battery brand. Some experts say it doesn't matter much, but most recognize the effect as pertinent. My opinion, it matters at higher discharge rates such as when using my microwave.

It was 12 years per set of 6, at 2 different locations but we didn't draw heavy loads. I posted this somewhere else the we started the onan by remote when we had a large draw & the system had a swith that let the onan run a minte before auto switching from the inverter to the onan then we'd use the micro or coffee maker, circ saw or any big load as we didn't charge with colar but by then onan & a charger so doing it this way never drew that batteries down very low. We used them for lights,TV, ceiling fans, etc. The way it started I bought compact flouesant bulbs & could run 6 60watt , 1 100watt($30 back then) & 1 ceiling fan on a 200 watt inverter & would use 1 12v battery & when it got low every few days would start the truck & switch batteries. Easy & worked but then it evolved to where I had a switch that I set the lower & upper voltage levels to turn the onan on & off but I had a friend that tuined 4 cars by not checking the oil that used the camp so I did remove that but this was 30 years ago when I did the 1st system. Thanks for the help & comments!

12 years a set is what I was aiming at when I said, Better yet! I'm going on 3 years for a cheap pair of 6v, and I kinda beat the crap outta them. I'm happy with that but they're still going strong. If I just use lights and leave the basics running(inverter, weboost, 2 tablets, and a phone(hotspot function) on, the battery bank is usually still over 12.7 in the morning. If I do 6 hours of TV(streaming or OTA), they usually are between 12.5-12.6 in the morning.

Back then solar was out of the question because of cost & we only ran the onan for 20-30 minutes a day which did our heavy work & topped off the batteries so dual duty & used very little fuel. What made it nice is no generator noise as it was in a fake outhouse with the batteries, inverter, auto switch, charger, etc & had a switch ran on bellwire inside the cabin. Onans tun 1/2 speed & have automatic chokes. I'm still debating if I need solar panels even though they're 34 cents a watt or do as befre as the ambo has a 250 watt altenator. Either way will work fine & I'm trying to simplify. I think the reason it worked so well were the non deep cycle Exide Golf Cart Rural King Batteries :)

What has been priceless to me is both my battery monitor (Victron) and my wholly programmable Victron charge controllers, all on bluetooth. I can change settings on the fly and often fiddle-fart around with it to micromanage my batteries. Since my batteries are inside and AGM, I make sure that (with the battery monitor) once I've paid back the previous night's usage, I make sure that there is less than 0.5 amps going in per 100ah of battery.

If the batteries are not where I want them to be, I've set the equalization voltage at the the absorption voltage. It only gives it an hour, so it's a nice boost. As far as voltage drop, because some of my panels have a longer wire run. With the Victron app, I am able to set the voltage going in so there is no discernable difference in the output into the batteries.

I have the el cheapo UPG 121000 batteries, seven of them between my van and trailer. I'm on the third year in the van (I have a fridge in there) and and in the second year with them in the trailer. I have a Blue Skies 3000i in the van and it's okay, But it's a pain to change settings and unless I get a battery monitor, I really can't tell what's really bappening. But like a starter marriage, I expected to commit batterycide. Not yet, so I'm fine.

Hubby has the Victron for his charge controllers. Very happy.
Best of wishes,
Ted

regis101 said:
can a load tester like this help or be part of the equation?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M0ARG3...UTF8&psc=1

Those testers are great for shops to sell new batteries.  They actually do have some real technology but it isn't likely they can tell cold cranking amps without having the battery cold.  What are they checking for "healthy state of the battery it self"?  

They can detect bad alternator diodes because of the ripple on the 12 volt power.  That's not the battery but useful to a shop.  There's more money in the job if you can sell both a battery and an alternator.

A Victron battery monitor can tell you about the state of charge of a deep cycle battery after watching current go in and out over time.  Instantly it isn't possible.

There's nothing like a thread on 'full charging theology' to produce tedious and unreadable prose.

I will make it easy,

NO a load tester will not tell you if your battery is fully charged and as soon as you run a load test you need to recharge your battery because you just deplete it.

highdesertranger