Uh oh, water! And some luck

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingfelder

Reaction score
Came back to my trailer today, took off my shoes, and hopped into bed for a little lie-down and e-mail check before dinner.  Got up again and saw the hint of a reflection on the vinyl floor, peeping out of a small gap between the floor and some coverings.

Bent down to inspect and saw some moisture; got on my knees, and then pulled back the foam padding I put all across the floor for my dog and found it soaked underneath.  What the?  I had thought all the water was out of my system?  The more pads and carpeting I pulled up, the more water I found.

Not good at all.  These things are made of particle board and whatever else is cheapest.

Then I heard it ... a tiny gurgling sound.

Turns out when I came in and threw my hoodie over the back of the little bench by the door, the top of it hit the spout on my Berkey water filter and put just enough pressure on it to let out a slow trickle.  I had only moved it there today while I was cleaning up, and wasn't used to thinking about it being there.

Anyway, much cleaning and drying later, and thank goodness no swelling or structural damage is apparent. I only lost about a gallon at most, but that was plenty enough to worry about.  The floor coverings are now outside in a neighbor's cellar to dry out for a couple days.

Lucky thing I had bought a small space heater a few weeks ago.  I put it at the only place that looked perhaps damaged(or maybe it was just a bit of poor fit'n'finish), a small strip of vinyl about a foot long that looks like it buckled outward a tiny bit, and cranked it up.  It's been going for a few hours.  My brother told me to use a hair dryer, but I don't have one and this seems to be working fine.  Tomorrow I go get a couple of those disposable dehumidifier jars for some cabinets.

Anyway, it turns out those heaters are useful for more than just warming living creatures up.  Thank goodness I had one on hand, and I guess now I'd recommend everyone get one even if it's hot where they live.

It probably would not hurt to spray a little bleach water to prevent mold and mildew as long as it just tile and particle board. If you have bare particle board it would probably help once it is dry and good weather so you ventilate and coat it with something to waterproof it.

What concentration would you suggest, and how long should it be left on?

There is bare wood touching the floor inside a hollow bench that let water flood under it. That's where my fan/heater is pointed now. Luckily there is vinyl flooring most everywhere, including under the bench.

1 part bleach to 10 parts water in a spray bottle just let it dry out with the wood. It does not take much.

ahhh, sorry that happened to you. Dry out real good and hopefully you will be fine :)

I take it ya moved that water filter away and won't be throwing a hoodie on that thing again!! Sounds like you came thru ok tho and hope all goes well for ya!

Little heaters are super great for drying out small areas. Good thing ya had it!

And a good reminder, just because plywood is very commonly used, alternative techniques and materials exist that may be more expensive, but

are waterproof, thus likely to last longer

and lighter too.

RoamerRV428 said:
ahhh, sorry that happened to you.  Dry out real good and hopefully you will be fine :)

I take it ya moved that water filter away and won't be throwing a hoodie on that thing again!!  Sounds like you came thru ok tho and hope all goes well for ya!

Little heaters are super great for drying out small areas.  Good thing ya had it!

Yup, there was no time to waste.

And I did move the Berkey.  It was so easy to hit that spout there this time that I'd be bound to do it again! That's right where I throw my jacket every day.

Thanks all!

My brother suggested marine plywood if I ever have to replace the flooring etc, and it sounds smart.

yea it is smart IF you have to replace anything down the line to put in the 'better stuff' if ya can....but now it seems ya saved everything and got lucky on all of it :) Now young man, didn't your momma tell you to hang up your jacket and NOT throw it? HA HA

well a draper is ok I guess :)
now, how about getting a command hook and 'gently' hanging that bad boy HAHA

I've got some of those.

Funny, I'm so reluctant to hang them. I'm used to anything hanging leaving a scar, and it's not as easy to repair surfaces in a trailer. And the idea of puncturing them gives me the willies, because I'm not sure what' behind or whether I will initiate a world of leaks or other troubles. Break a small part of a house? Who cares, fix it one day and it usually won't cost much. Break a small part of a trailer? Holy cow, you may wind up homeless.

Anyway, I suppose i should try to get over it.

Sure wish things like cabinet finishes, and floor and wall coverings, etc., were standardized across the nation, so you wouldn't worry that a little scratch or abrasion would mean your cabinet would never ever look good again.

Latest posts