WOMEN ONLY: Setting up tent at RTR and staying for Women's RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beverly

Reaction score
I will be coming to the RTR at the end of the week and then staying for the Women's RTR. I have a small car and will be setting up a tent.

While I have lived out of my car in the past, this will be my first RTR. I am wondering if there are any other women who will be setting up tents and staying for the Women's RTR.

I would really like to stay within the area of a group of solo women while I am there.

Thanks for any information!!
Beverly

Beverly said:
I would really like to stay within the area of a group of solo women while I am there.

Are you a member of the FB group, Solo Women Van Dwellers?  I know there are quite a few from that group planning  on attending the main RTR and the women’s RTR.

I will be there, but not in a group! I need a lot of solo time at large events, so I will be parked on the fringes. :)

The wind and the cold we have experienced in the desert in the past few weeks have changed my mind about trying to come with a tent. One of the gals I follow on Utube had to give up on the tent and her shower tent (at Ehrenberg) and is staying in her car. I don't have a car so don't have the option to retreat to one in case things get bad, so right now I won't be able to attend eiither the regular RTR or the Women's RTR. After months of preparation and eager anticipation I am really disappointed. It was kind of a "Wild Idea" for me to be able to come in the first place.

I hope you have a safe and comfortable time!

Something similar here...
I'm planning to arrive on the evening of the last day of RTR, and staying for the Women's RTR.
I have a tent that I haven't been able to practice setting up.
Although I camped with others just once in my life (for only 24 hours), someone else did the planning and preparations.
So, I've never camped with a cat; and I've never lived out of my car.
I'm not even sure how to find everyone.
Consequently, I've been doing my best to calm my anxieties.

Hi, I'm Suanne, the organizer/facilitator of the Women's RTR (WRTR), Jan. 22nd-24th.

I want to emphasize that we will not be repeating the important foundational information taught during the main RTR.  That is, participants at the WRTR are assumed to have attended, or already know the skills and information shared from the 11th - 21st.

I'm a bit concerned that you are skipping the main RTR, yet attending the WTRT, especially since this lifestyle is so new and untested for you.

If I may, I'd like to recommend that you make attendance at the main RTR a priority over the WRTR. 

I don't want to discourage.  I want you to learn the best information possible to be successful and truly love this lifestyle.

Suanne

Suanne said:
"... I don't want to discourage.  ... to be successful and truly love this lifestyle."

From the "A Women's RTR!" thread:

Suanne said:
"... If you are a newbie, we want you there.  Like the regular RTR, this will be a time to learn, share your experiences, and build community.   If you are a woman, you are welcome regardless of your vehicle or full-/part-time status.
... Additionally, to create a safe space where women may express themselves freely, please no video/audio taping or photos during the Women's RTR.
- How to pitch a tent properly whether it's a privacy tent or a sleeping tent,
- Meal planning for one and cheaply,
- Safe food storage when you don't have a full size fridge,
- How to find places beyond Quartzsite for laundry, water, trash, ice, etc.,
- Map reading when finding places to camp,
... I hope to see you there and look forward to spending some dedicated time with like-minded women. ..."

Karla said:
"... I could sure use the information and sisterhood.  The women's group at last January's RTR was the single most empowering even in my life.  I walked away feeling like I could survive anything."

I have a limited amount of time off and so have to prioritize.
Some reasons for attending are above.
For me, since 1000 people is a bit overwhelming, I thought the WRTR might be a gentler introduction.
So, maybe I'll visit for a day, then head back...

Sorry Beverly, I goofed up on my reply to you. I'll try it again!

I'd say over half of the people at the RTR are solo women, so you'll find plenty of women to camp near. Plus, you can just relocate when you make new friends. Of, you can just make an announcement at the first meeting that you're looking for other solo women to camp near. We are a very friendly and helpful group (all genders).
See ya there!

Hi Gardenias,
Please don't be intimidated by the fact that there might be 1000 people at the RTR. It sounds like a lot, but it's a really really big desert and there's lots of space to camp. Watch Bobs videos again. He explained really well that you can set up right in the middle of camp or you can find a quiet spot a little farther out (still within walking distance of seminars). And you don't have to attend all seminars, just what interests you.

I was quite impressed last year at what an easy-going group it was, for such a large gathering. You'll see what I mean when you get there. So, with your limited time, come for the seminars you like, stay for the WRTR. You'll be so glad you stretched a little out of your comfort zone!

There is a map in this forum that shows where to go. It is listed in the Gatherings section. I plan on setting up my tent,but, if it is as windy as they say, I will just sleep in my car. Good luck with your adventure!
Beverly :)

Suanne said:
Hi, I'm Suanne, the organizer/facilitator of the Women's RTR (WRTR), Jan. 22nd-24th.

I want to emphasize that we will not be repeating the important foundational information taught during the main RTR.  That is, participants at the WRTR are assumed to have attended, or already know the skills and information shared from the 11th - 21st.

I'm a bit concerned that you are skipping the main RTR, yet attending the WTRT, especially since this lifestyle is so new and untested for you.

If I may, I'd like to recommend that you make attendance at the main RTR a priority over the WRTR. 

I don't want to discourage.  I want you to learn the best information possible to be successful and truly love this lifestyle.

Suanne

Thank you for your advice! I am not discouraged. I have lived out of my car long term in the past. I am working right now and can only get off of work for 5 days. I felt that connecting with women was the most important aspect of this trip. I really appreciate already how helpful and kind the responses have been.  :)