Women Only: Just bought a 88 Ford E350 box van and questions getting startedz

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenataAllison

Reaction score
I have named her Mathilda which means strength and battle.

She is an 88 E350 box van with a 460 engine. 78,000 original miles with a peak/mom's attic large enough to hold a twin size mattress and access to the front cab. Rear entry is a roll up door. It has a pullout loading ramp.

She needs a bit of mechanical work before I can start the build. My day job is as a service manager at a national auto repair chain. So the mechanical repairs I have under control. Thanks to a sweet discount at my job and other handy connections.

I think I have the skills to handle insulation and framing out the inside.

What I feel intimidated by is the electrical. Eventually, I may add solar. I have read enough to know that I want to wire it for 30 amp RV hook ups and have a shore line, but I Havre no clue beyond that. I will be running AC somehow as I am not giving up my 2 cats Taglio and Anemone. I will not be doing a gray water/waste tank set up.

Any resources you have that helped you go from zero knowledge to DIY is especially appreciated in regards to wiring.

I have a few random questions. I am still in planning stages and I want to avoid having to undo completed work or live with the if I had it to do again/next time feels.

1. Should I plan the wiring out before starting to insulate.
1.1  If yes, do I need to run conduit and what material is best to use as conduit in a box van?

2. Is it better to insulate before or after cutting out for a fan or window and why?

3. I am thinking of framing around the roll up door so it will still roll up and leave a 2 or 3 foot porch for storage of things I do not want the cats to get into.
My question is (my ultimate goal is to move to new orleans): how do I prevent moisture from collecting and causing mold/mildew in the framed out space on the porch area and between the framed out ceiling and the roof where the garage door slides when up.

Sorry if this was too long. I am try to plan this out before I get started. I need to tap into the minds of others before I get started.
c61ed3194909e6b7834bfeef1e1c89cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RenataAllison said:
I have a few random questions. I am still in planning stages and I want to avoid having to undo completed work or live with the if I had it to do again/next time feels.

1. Should I plan the wiring out before starting to insulate.

Yes, definitely, wiring needs to be planned before you start anything.
1.1  If yes, do I need to run conduit and what material is best to use as conduit in a box van?

I used 2" flexible plastic hose as conduit in my van build and secured it against the wood partitions as needed with plumbing pipe brackets.

2. Is it better to insulate before or after cutting out for a fan or window and why?

After! You will need to be cutting through the roof/side wall anyways and would have to remove the insulation around the area. Also less mess if you do the insulation later.

3. I am thinking of framing around the roll up door so it will still roll up and leave a 2 or 3 foot porch for storage of things I do not want the cats to get into.
My question is (my ultimate goal is to move to new orleans): how do I prevent moisture from collecting and causing mold/mildew in the framed out space on the porch area and between the framed out ceiling and the roof where the garage door slides when up.

You could insulate the false wall and ceiling rather than the outside walls. Also ventilation is more key than anything else. Either install vents to equalize the temp in the storage area or plan on keeping it heated to the same temp as the living area.

My suggestions in blue above.

Did you mean to ask ONLY women for advice. You'll get some very good answers from the guys too on this subject. If you want them to be able to answer a mod can move the thread for you.

I probably should have split this into two posts. I was looking for women to tell me what they did to go from zero knowledge on electrical to DIY and then I rambled.

Well...I started with knowing absolutely nothing about 12v wiring.

I bought a book...the 12v bible. It explained basic knowledge. Did nothing for practical “hands on”however.

I started watching utube “how to”. Then, I hired a guy that works on trucks....well..he works on BIG fleet trucks, but was willing to teach me on the side. He showed me how. Taught me to run a multimeter and clamp meter too

Then, I started small. Just a couple of led light replacements. Then wired in ciggy outlets.... been expanding ever since. Did all the wiring in my RVmail myself....with someone looking over my shoulder at first.

Think of it as a process.

I would plan where everything will go. Know where the galley will be, etc. figure out lights, fans, etc.

Then..do the “rough in” wiring after the bubble wrap/refectix layer and before the polystyrene layer.
But, be sure to test everything for continuity before the ploysi layer.

Kat

Why the reflectix under the poly. Everything I have watched shows directly gluing the poly directly to the wall.

The outer walls were built...skin, then a layer of bubble wrap, then the reflectix then poly

The bubble wrap provides the air space...without the airspace the thermal reflection of reflectix will not work.

What that does it reflect the heat and cold back. It has no insulating value...but still works wonders to keep the van cool in the heat..and warmer in the cold.

The poly is the insulation. I gave up 6 inches to put in 3” of polysi all around. Makes a big difference!

VanKitten said:
The poly is the insulation.   I gave up 6 inches to put in 3” of polysi all around.   Makes a big difference!

If you have 3 inches of insulation how did you install cabinets or shelving?

I posted pictures on the conversion thread if you want to see it coming together.

The "studs " are all 2x3. Even the roof rafters are 2x3.

Hence, the 3 inches

Cabinets, etc are all glued and screwed to studs. First the 1/8 Luna went in...with staples and sika. Then sika and screws to install cabs..etc