WOMEN ONLY: Howdy nomadic sisters!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. I'm currently working on my van build to get her road ready then will be heading out solo. Would love to meet up with others especially in the beginning to get "my feet wet". I am planning on doing short trips leaving out of middle TN beginning next month. I am also planning on travelling caravan style with a friend in October to go to the balloon fest in NM (has always been on my bucket list). After that, probably back to TN to regroup then to wherever. Not sure where the road will lead after that but will need to find some kind of work at that point to replenish funds. I am "in between opportunities" right now after my work "restructured". Fortunately, I'm a cheapskate and have had no life for the last three years, so I managed to save up a little cushion to travel for a bit (but still very limited on funds). Looking forward to meeting some great people and learning new things.

Sparrow said:
I'm new to the women's forum, and wondered if there are any annual gathering's or events specifically for vandwelling / nomad women? 

I also wondered if there are women from the northeast or east coast? Would be great to connect with other women with interest and insight in the nomadic lifestyle....

Lots and lots of questions and trying to maintain hope that I can make this happen  :)

Hi Sparrow ~

I am in New York City, reading all I can about this lifestyle, but thus far, my only insights are from reading, not doing.  Funny,  just tonight before I logged on here, I was thinking I should post and see if there are any women in my area to exchange ideas, inspiration and hopefully encourage each other to keep our dreams aloft. One thing I know about myself is that baby steps work best to build my confidence.
So I'm thinking it would be fun to even do a few days in one of the campgrounds in the nearby mountains....anyone want to take a baby step with me? Would appreciate any NY'ers or northeastern women who might be interested in corresponding, to write ~  Looking forward to new adventures, slowly but steadily!

I'm in the northwest area these days. I do have some plans (my youngest daughter's wedding in November) but I think it would be fun to get together with other women from this site. Maybe one of these days we can. That would be nice. :D

VanGrrl57 :D

Hi Everyone,
So good to hear that so many women want to get together. I am a west coaster and  will probably stay mainly in the western desert area.  I am 18 months away from retirement!!! I've been researching and planning and can't wait to get on the road!!  I have a little craft business on the side so I'll be doing that to supplement my retirement income.  I'm thinking of going to the RTR in January - anyone going to that?  I don't have the vehicle yet so I may have to sleep in the car but that's ok.  I've been thinking it would be nice to travel with a group of "like-minded" people (women) - although I do need my alone time as we all do.  Looking forward to meeting everyone!!!!!

Hi Tigerlilly! Planning on making the RTR my first event too! Arizona here, so we'll meet in the middle!

Hi Sparrow and all,

I'm slowly getting my feet under me after a divorce and entering the full-time vandwelling lifestyle (in a Prius), after being a part-timer since '09. So, it's taking me a while to get back into participating in this forum like I would prefer. But, I'm feeling ready again.

I've been going to the RTRs since the beginning and love being with like-minded folks. I've facilitated the women's groups over the last several RTRs and look forward to doing it next year too. To me they are special, empowering meetings where we freely share, learn and are inspired by one another.

I'm intrigued by a women-only gathering. Maybe a pre-RTR or post-RTR in January 2018? (Sorry, not on the east coast Sparrow.) If there's interest, I'll do some organization for it.

Please weigh in.

Thanks, Suanne

I will have to miss the RTR 2018. Last RTR I will miss yeah! I absolutely cannot leave the area around that time. In late spring I will be hanging around central Oregon on my way down to the Nevada/Arizona area.

So, I didn't really say much except I will be leaving eventually, but I am looking to meeting other women nomads. Right now I'm pretty isolated, isolated to the point of not being healthy for my mental health. But, I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm intrigued by a women-only gathering.

Suanne,
God willing, I will be attending by first RTR in 2018.
I would be very interested in attending a women's meet up then or at any other time or place you may have one. Please keep me in mind and let me know of any future woman gatherings.
Van.Lady

GypsySpirit said:
Hi Tigerlilly!   Planning on making the RTR my first event too!  Arizona here, so we'll meet in the middle!

Great - looking forward to it Gypsy!!!! :rolleyes:

Solo woman, Vandweller, southeast. There are several women's vandwelling groups on FB besides the raunchy one. Problem with gatherings is it's like herding cats. If you have a location, pick a date, announce it in as many places as you can and see who shows up.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Sparrow said:
Hi Mary Ellen! 

Thanks for posting I'm in the northeast as well. I found this group pretty recently and just beginning this journey and don't have my van set up yet. In the process of collecting repurposed materials and hopefully I will get to do some stealth camping / boondocking before the end of the summer! Would love to hear where you've been in the northeast or ADK's and hope it's going well for you!

So sorry it's taken so long to get back to this! I'm out of internet and cell range most of the time up here where I am in the Adirondacks. I've been camping on the Route 30 corridor, from the Saranac area down to the Long lake area. It take me a bit to get on my feet, I'm also dealing with a disability that slows me down, but I'm doing it! I'm in the groove now and really starting to gain some confidence and have some fun. 

Good luck with your van, I hope you've been able to take it out for some camping!

I am full time in a minivan for the last two years. I just discovered this forum. This is so much better than Facebook!
I'm going to be at the RTR and look forward to meeting you all then.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

Tigerlilly said:
"I'm thinking of going to the RTR in January - anyone going to that?  I don't have the vehicle yet so I may have to sleep in the car but that's ok.  I've been thinking it would be nice to travel with a group of "like-minded" people (women) - although I do need my alone time as we all do."  

Hi Tigerlilly - Thanks for writing! 

I'm doubtful that I can make it to the RTR in January but I so wish I could!! It's 3000 miles for me...I agree that traveling with a group sounds like a great idea!! I'm hopeful that by next year I can make it happen too : ) 

Agree on the alone time having that balance is a must for me as well!!!

Gypsy Clipper said:
I am full time in a minivan for the last two years. I just discovered this forum. This is so much better than Facebook!  I'm going to be at the RTR and look forward to meeting you all then.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

Hi Gypsy Clipper! 

Thanks for your note sorry I'm seeing it so late. What kind of minivan do you have? I have a 2006 Caravan. Just in the process of collecting repurposed materials to make it a camper. Do you have pictures of your build? I'd love to see how your set up and hear about your experiences if you have a blog or anything? 

I don't think I can make it to the RTR this year...3000 miles away and too many hurdles to overcome before Januaary : ( ....although I'm determined I will make it next year!!

CoachOnTheRoad said:
"So sorry it's taken so long to get back to this! I'm out of internet and cell range most of the time up here where I am in the Adirondacks. I've been camping on the Route 30 corridor, from the Saranac area down to the Long lake area. It take me a bit to get on my feet, I'm also dealing with a disability that slows me down, but I'm doing it! I'm in the groove now and really starting to gain some confidence and have some fun." 

Howdy CoachOnTheRoad! 

NP I'm just getting back to this forum after a couple weeks. That sounds great!! Would love to hear more about your journey in the ADK's....Are you blogging or youtube or anything? Perhaps down the road you could provide some suggestions or insight's....What kind of van do you have? 

HOpe you continue to have a safe journey and have a blast!!

Suanne said:
"I've been going to the RTRs since the beginning and love being with like-minded folks.  I've facilitated the women's groups over the last several RTRs and look forward to doing it next year too.  To me they are special, empowering meetings where we freely share, learn and are inspired by one another.

I'm intrigued by a women-only gathering.  Maybe a pre-RTR or post-RTR in January 2018?  (Sorry, not on the east coast Sparrow.)  If there's interest, I'll do some organization for it." 

Hi Suanne, 

Thank you for writing and for your ideas! It gives me lots of hope that there are likeminded women out here who want to support and empower each other. It's doubtful that I can make it to the RTR this year (3000 miles for me) but I hope if you do the women's RTR that it will become an annual gathering? 

Thanks for the link to your blog Suanne I will definitely check it out and hope to stay in touch!

waldenbound said:
"I am looking to meeting other women nomads. Right now I'm pretty isolated, isolated to the point of not being healthy for my mental health. But, I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel."

Hi Waldenbound! 

I agree it would be great to meet up with other women nomads! Check out Suanne's post on this thread she's facilitated women's groups at the RTR and may be interested in making it more formal if I understand her post correctly. 

Sorry to hear about your isolation I can really relate. There is definitely a light waiting and I hope you continue to move toward it!! Perhaps the support of other nomad women would be helpful? I wish you the best in your journey and keep on truckin and hoping things get better for you as you go!!

Sparrow said:
I'm new to the women's forum, and wondered if there are any annual gathering's or events specifically for vandwelling / nomad women? 

I also wondered if there are women from the northeast or east coast? Would be great to connect with other women with interest and insight in the nomadic lifestyle....

Lots and lots of questions and trying to maintain hope that I can make this happen  :)

Sparrow, 
I'm on the east coast for the next 3 months for work living in a small class C. It is pretty hard finding free areas to stay here, don't you think? 
If you hear of any gatherings let me know.

Lmwillie28 said:
Sparrow, 
I'm on the east coast for the next 3 months for work living in a small class C. It is pretty hard finding free areas to stay here, don't you think? 
If you hear of any gatherings let me know.

Hi Lmwillie, 
Yeah it seems the east coast does not have the wide open spaces where vandwellers and rv'ers congregate as does the southwest or west coast. I don't have my van ready yet but have done some limited research for places in the east. I does seem that free area's tend to be more sparse and remote which then has it's risk factors for women traveling alone IMHO. 

There may be a small gathering on the east coast but it hasn't been confirmed yet. When I find out more I will let you know. I'd be interested to hear your experience while your in the east and hope it goes well for you!