Wiring for a CPAP.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konaexpress

Reaction score
The CPAP: it's a life and death situation.

We don't like to admit it, but it is true. It is a life and death problem we live with on a nightly situation. For many of us, it's a genetic problem. For some, it's a eating problem.  Life can be cruel. 

How do you deal with it out in the wild away from a trauma unit?

What do you do to make it work?

I'll be truthful about this.......it scares the hell out of me. One night I go to bed, the next morning I'm gone.

John

There are 12v Cpaps available.

I hear they only use excessive amounts of electricity if the humidifier is used.

Plenty of people powering one while living on wheels

Here's a 16 page thread that discusses it in great detail.  :p   https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-How-can-I-run-a-CPAP-in-my-tiny-van

I don't use mine in my van much, but when I do I simply plug it into one of my Acc plugs.  From what I've read, been told, and can figure, it barely uses 1 Amp per hour.  I don't have the humidifier attachment, so that's not an issue for me.  

Right now I've got a single, fairly small deep cycle battery that seems to be doing the job just fine, but I still plan to add a second to increase my Ah capacity so I ca run other things at the same time.

Thanks for the reply guys/gals.

The back of my unit said its 6.+ amps but it has the humidifier that I don't use. Guess I should find a way to test it and find out what it is doing. Some people here talk about it in passing but I'd like to know how they are using it. What size battery, solar or gen set, AC or DC?

My unit is 12v so I could easily make a pig tail for it....

John
John

^
NO!

Search on line, and find the proper 12v wire.  They are readily available.

Konaexpress said:
The CPAP: it's a life and death situation.
John

Hi John - I'm using an older Respironics, which uses a separate power supply that supplies it with 12VDC. It also has a cigarette lighter plug for use in a vehicle. It's spec'd @ 3 amps/12V, but using just the pump it draws less than 1 amp, & with the humidifier heater on high approx. 2.6 amps. At the 2.6 amp rate, it would use approx. 21 amp-hours for an 8 hour period. I have not used it a vehicle yet.
When you look at deep cycle battery ratings, there's an amp hour rate listed. Many of the smaller AGM deep cycle batteries are rated at 55-60 amp hours, which would be good for 2-3 days, on my cpap without a recharge. Depending on the manufacturer, these batteries should be recharged at no more than a 10 amp rate, which might (?) make a solar system useable for recharging.
For some, there are also dental inserts(?) that are supposed to keep your jaw in a position that stops the apnea, but I have no experience with those (although I plan on asking my dentist about them soon).
If you're already using a cpap, you'd need to get someone knowledgeable to check/measure the current (and voltage) you're using & go from there.

The information is printed on the machine.  There is also a phone number for further information.

Konaexpress said:
Thanks for the reply guys/gals.

The back of my unit said its 6.+ amps but it has the humidifier that I don't use. Guess I should find a way to test it and find out what it is doing. Some people here talk about it in passing but I'd like to know how they are using it. What size battery, solar or gen set, AC or DC?

My unit is 12v so I could easily make a pig tail for it....

My Resperonics "System One" says 6.67A Max on the bottom, but that's, as suggested by the label, the maximum Amp draw you could expect to have.  Without the humidifier you will never reach anything close to this level unless you set it to its highest setting and leave it there all the time. 
 If you read the replies in the linked thread I posted above, you will find what other have experienced with theirs.  Some tested the draw and came back with surprisingly low numbers.   :cool:

I was able to purchase a 12 Volt cable specifically designed for my unit that plugs into my Acc outlets.  I think it was about $25.  

I run mine off a Group 24 AGM battery, backed up by the van's alternator and a 190 Watt soar panel.