Wire size for Renogy Rover 20

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRRNeiklot

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting a solid connection with my Renogy charge controller.  I can't get a proper wire connection.  The wire fits in the cc, but I have no voltage.  Pressing a screwdriver in on the screw causes voltage to properly register for a moment, but it drops to zero when removed.  I sent it back to Renogy, they tested it and said there's nothing wrong with it and sent it back.  It's rated for 10 gauge wire.  I was trying 8 gauge, but dropped that down to 10, as per Renogy's instructions.  I am using automotive wire.  Is there a certain type of wire I should use?  This is driving me nuts.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Some wire is cheaper than others. The stuff they sell at places like Auto Zone isn't that great. Perhaps you have a broken wire. When pressing on the screw, you might be wiggling the wire enough to get a connection. It's hard to diagnose without seeing it first hand of course. Perhaps in the course of conversation, a fix will present itself. There's some smart people in the forum.

I've tried multiple wires. It seems like the Autozone 10 gauge is too big.

You know that it's lefty-loosey, righty-tighty? lol Man, I'm stumped. I'm going to ask some dumb questions just to try to get the ball rolling. Did you strip a bit of insulation off of the end of the wire before tightening it down? Is there a piece of plastic or something in the way preventing a good contact?

Insulation stripped, nothing in the way, and I know which way to tighten the screw. :)

I'll keep thinking, but I bet someone else will come up with a decent solution.

The only thing I can think of is that this automotive wire is thicker than whatever type wire Renogy expects me to use.

Wire conducts if it is connected. Auto, marine, locomotive, welding, household. AWG or SAE, They all conduct. They might not be suitable for the job, but they conduct. You are not measuring voltage in the correct manner.

10AWG is correct for Renogy 20amp Rover. I have the same model. The official installation instructions are available on line as a small pdf.

Are you talking about voltage on the BATT side or the SOLAR side?

Do you have a fuse as per the installation instructions between the Rover and the battery bank? Also, a fuse is also required between Rover and solar panels.

If that fuse is blown, then you would see zero volts.

A bad connection passes V, but not A.

If you haven't done so, get the manual and read it carefully.

How are you getting the wire to be held in? It seems that you loosen the screw to drop the plate, stick the wire in and tighten it back up.

Any way you can post a couple photos of the problem area?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I ended up sending the charge controller back. The new one works perfectly.