Should I use 10, 12 or 14 gauge wire to connect solar panels to solar generator?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentawave

Reaction score
I installed two 100 watt Renogy solar panels on top of my Toyota Sienna minivan. The panels will charge an Ecoflow Delta 1300 "solar generator." https://tinyl.io/42mP. The 12' long MC4 to XT60 cable that came with the Delta is only 14 gauge wire. I need 22' total of cable. Maybe 14 gauge is enough for a 22' long run?? That I don't know so here are my questions, please...

1) I need 10 more feet of cable (22' total) to connect the panels to the solar generator. If the 14 gauge cable that came with the Delta is thick enough then should the 10' extension cable I order also be 14 gauge or should I buy a 10' extension that is 10 or 12 gauge?

2) Again, I need about 22' of cable. IF I should get 10 or 12 gauge wire, would I be better off NOT using the 12' long 14 gauge cable that came with the Delta and buy a single 20' long cable instead? (For the MC4 to XT60 connection I can buy this 14" long adapter: https://tinyl.io/42nL )

3) Is 10 and 12 gauge wire flexible enough to bend around areas like where the cable comes from the roof rack and enters the interior of the minivan at the top of the back door? 

Thank you! :)

Are you wiring the panels in series or parallel? Do you have electrical specs on the solar panels? It really depends on the voltage, as that will decide how many amps is running through the wires which will determine the wiring size.

22ft seems excessively long for a mini van. Are you sure you can't rework the feed to make it shorter? The fewer splices/connectors the better. As far as the flexibility of 10-12 gauge wire it all depends on the wire you choose. High quality flexible wire is easy to find, make sure it's outdoor/uv rated. Highdesertranger

Also less voltage drop the larger the gauge of wire. I try to squeeze every last ounce of charging out of my panels.

Yes, it's about 22' from where I have to put the solar generator to the connection at the panels and there's no way to shorten the path without drilling holes in the van. I wanted to put it in the back of the Sienna but then it would be too difficult to access it and see the controls etc. So I built a nice looking vented cabinet/console it can hide in that goes between the two front seats. I called WindyNation to ask about the flex and the guy said 12 AWG would be good for bending at the back door and is plenty thick enough for 20'. So, I ordered two 20' 12 AWG extension cables from them through Amazon and a 14" long MC4 to XT60 cable to connect the Delta to the extension cables. I'm good to go after I get these!

Thanks!