Wire and Fuse Size Check

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, and after you calculate your voltage drop and things you will be fine on 6awg wire. Are you running an isolator or battery to battery charger? What kind of batteries are you putting in as your house batteries?

If you check the starter battery / alternator connections you will find the battery negative to the engine block. The alternator is mounted to the engine block. On larger alternators there is a negative cable. This is not a "chassis ground". There is a lighter separate wire tying the chassis to the battery negative or engine block.
For critical circuits, such as battery charging, I use a negative cable connecting device to battery negative, not relying on a chassis return. When sizing wire for ampacity be sure to use a chart that is for the class of the insulating sheath. As I stated I use marine grade tinned copper wire. If you have welding cable, the wrong stuff from Home Depot, or old jumper cables, --> you will have different results.
I use a negative BusBar to keep the negative cables neat. This negative BusBar is connected to the negative battery as well as the chassis.
Fuses protect wire. Fuses introduce voltage drop. Use the largest fuse for the ampacity of the wire.