Winter tires on gravel toad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miele

Reaction score
Can someone here tell me if I can use my winter tires on gravel road.My understanding that to reach the RTR I will drive about 2-3 miles. I am driving from alberta.Thank you

tx2sturgis said:
Yes you can...and here I thought this thread was gonna be about little green road kill...

:p

:D You are funny,thank you.?

just drive slow. the road going in is graded and it's not that far. the asphalt road before the dirt is rougher. highdesertranger

Winter tires are a softer compound....anything above 7C, they are going to wear quicker. I wouldn't worry so much about the gravel road as much as the temperature you are going to be driving at.

Open tread tires tend to pick up the gravels as they get caught in the treads so going slow to allow them to fall out rather than being thrown out at speed is a good idea, also maintain a greater distance from the vehicle in front of you, we get a lot of broken or chipped windshields out here.

poncho62 said:
Winter tires are a softer compound....anything above 7C, they are going to wear quicker. I wouldn't worry so much about the gravel road as much as the temperature you are going to be driving at.

Yeh, there will be more wear on the tires getting from Alberta to the unpaved road than there will be from driving on the unpaved road. But don't worry about it. Just enjoy the trip and the RTR.

Driving a only a few miles on gravel? Regardless of tire type, they're not made outa butter.
What else you worrying about?

They had flash floods out there last year and heavy rain... You might be glad you've got M/S rated tires... I run Cooper Weather Master M/S rated tires year round here in California. I get about 45k miles per set, I do get them rotated and re-balanced every 5k through America's Tire which I believe is Discount Tire in other parts of the country...

As a suggestion...when you're finished with the gravel roads and finally driving on asphalt, be sure to pick out the rocks as they can heat up the rubber and cause larger divets/holes in the tread.

CautionToTheWind said:
As a suggestion...when you're finished with the gravel roads and finally driving on asphalt, be sure to pick out the rocks as they can heat up the rubber and cause larger divets/holes in the tread.

Thank you so much ,I will remember that.See you at the rtr.

Deal Breaker said:
They had flash floods out there last year and heavy rain... You might be glad you've got M/S rated tires...  I run Cooper Weather Master M/S rated tires year round here in California. I get about 45k miles per set, I do get them rotated and re-balanced every 5k through America's Tire which I believe is Discount Tire in other parts of the country...

Thank you so much,I surely like to meet "all you" nice people on this forum.All so willing to give all kinds of information  .See you hopefully at the rtr..

Why winter tires on gravel is a bad idea. They don't last.
Video of the dangers of winter tires on gravel.

Notice the auto rock ejectors so you don't have to pick them out.

Miele, hope you realize I was being humorous, right? If they can rally on those tires...

Minivanmotoman said:
Miele, hope you realize I was being humorous,  right? If they can rally on those tires...

Of course.Hope to see you at the rtr. I will be driving a red wrangler sahara.

Minivanmotoman said:
Why winter tires on gravel is a bad idea. They don't last.
Video of the dangers of winter tires on gravel.

Notice the auto rock ejectors so you don't have to pick them out.

We're talking about a little over a mile from the end of the pavement to the RTR site and probably less than a quarter mile from the turn in to a camping spot. So a mile and a half. Then another mile and a half back to pavement. Three miles round trip. Maybe a couple of trips to town, so maybe nine miles all together. Big #/*x#ing deal. Like I said, whatever wear that causes is insignificant to the wear from driving to Quartzsite from Alberta. Nine miles versus about 2,500 miles from Calgary, 2,800 miles from Edmonton.

^^^^ Video was of rally driving drifting. And did you not see the comment afterwards stating it was humorous, 90 mins before yours? Miele did. No need to take it literally or as serious.
My bad for not putting a smiley on the post and saying lol.

MrNoodly said:
We're talking about a little over a mile from the end of the pavement to the RTR site and probably less than a quarter mile from the turn in to a camping spot. So a mile and a half. Then another mile and a half back to pavement. Three miles round trip. Maybe a couple of trips to town, so maybe nine miles all together. Big #/*x#ing deal. Like I said, whatever wear that causes is insignificant to the wear from driving to Quartzsite from Alberta. Nine miles versus about 2,500 miles from Calgary, 2,800 miles from Edmonton.

Thank you so much for the info.Are the winter tires ok to drive at 25 degrees centigrade on a highway  :huh:  .Am driving from Calgary.

Miele, it's winter down here too! (I'm in Ehrenberg) :D

We don't see temps of 25C until late March at least, most likely closer to April.

You'll do fine. And since you're coming down from Alberta where it's serious winter and will probably  have serious winter driving all the way down I 15 through Montana, Idaho and Utah you'll need the snow tires. I leave BC early enough to escape that type of driving and don't go back until it's green up there again.

Once you get here, the amount of hot weather driving you're going to be doing (unless you stay till May and June) will be negligible.

I run Michelin M&S tires year round because I have to be able to deal with northern BC in spring and fall. They are ready to be replaced this spring but I'll have 100,000 km on them by then.

Almost There said:
Miele, it's winter down here too! (I'm in Ehrenberg) :D

We don't see temps of 25C until late March at least, most likely closer to April.

You'll do fine. And since you're coming down from Alberta where it's serious winter and will probably  have serious winter driving all the way down I 15 through Montana, Idaho and Utah you'll need the snow tires. I leave BC early enough to escape that type of driving and don't go back until it's green up there again.

Once you get here, the amount of hot weather driving you're going to be doing (unless you stay till May and June) will be negligible.

I run Michelin M&S tires year round because I have to be able to deal with northern BC in spring and fall. They are ready to be replaced this spring but I'll have 100,000 km on them by then.
Thank you so very much "almost there", this is all I need to know.Hope will meet at the rtr.