Winter camping and RV fridge?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travelmonkey

Reaction score
If I ever full-time, I'd love to get a job at a ski resort and do a monthly lease at an RV park.  There are a number of articles full of tips on how to prepare your rig for the cold winter and most mention that RV fridges do not work under 20F.  My travel trailer has the Norcold cold weather kit which is supposed to help to 0F.  What happens if it drops under that temp for an evening?  Is the fridge toast?

You got a fridge right outside. Cooler add snow whenever.

OutdoorFT said:
You got a fridge right outside. Cooler add snow whenever.

I guess I should have been more specific; RV-type fridges can be damaged when the liquid used for absorption (ammonium) freezes.  I don't think it matters if the fridge is in use or not.  This was the answer I am looking for, not how to keep food cold in snow.  

Has anyone run into this problem?

Travelmonkey said:
I guess I should have been more specific; RV-type fridges can be damaged when the liquid used for absorption (ammonium) freezes.  I don't think it matters if the fridge is in use or not.  This was the answer I am looking for, not how to keep food cold in snow.  

Has anyone run into this problem?

Yes.

Since anhydrous ammonia doesn't freeze until it gets around 108 degrees below zero...I doubt you will damage the fridge at a typical ski resort.

What does happen is that the propane (that fuels the flame in the fridge) can begin to lose vapor pressure in very cold temperatures. Now you can have a problem.

So, if you can, park your trailer-type RV (motorhomes would have a frame-mounted tank) so that the propane tanks get plenty of sun during the day. Or, simply shut off the fridge, and use an ice chest, refilling it with snow or ice, as you can. This works, I've done it numerous times over the years.

If you have electrical hookups, you can run a small space heater to keep the interior of the RV warm.

Travelmonkey said:
 . . . RV-type fridges can be damaged when the liquid used for absorption (ammonium) freezes.  I don't think it matters if the fridge is in use or not.

I have friends that have absorption refrigerators that are stored in sub-zero weather (Northern Minnesota) with no problems.  A couple are 20+ years old (the refrigerators, 20 Y.O is way in the rear view mirror for us  :s  ).  I don't know of any that run their refrigerator in the winter as keeping food cold isn't a problem.  Keeping it from freezing is.

-- Spiff

yeah I don't see how freezing temps can harm them as Texas pointed out ammonia freezes at about -108F. I can see the propane not working but I have used propane down to -5F on a couple of occasions. so I don't know who is saying this, you got a link? highdesertranger

I've used propane at -30 MANY times, that's not an issue.

But my question is, why in the world are you going to let the inside of your rig get that cold? Are you not going to have a heater? If the fridge is that cold, you will be that cold--does that appeal to you?

If you are in an RV Park you can run an electric heater or rent a big propane tank and run your furnace. If you keep warm, your fridge will keep warm.

akrvbob said:
If you are in an RV Park you can run an electric heater or rent a big propane tank and run your furnace. If you keep warm, your fridge will keep warm.

Bob, my assumption is that the OP is referring to the backside of the RV fridge, which is exposed to the outside air thru the fridge vent panel.

But we all know about 'assumptions'...

And actually, at ambient temps around zero (F) or below, in a large propane tank as the liquid level drops from use, it will begin to lose vapor pressure...so it can be an issue for an RV where you have longer runs of exposed piping and misc fittings along the way to the appliance.

All I have seen is put a 100w light bulb back there with a cube thermostat to keep it warm enough to keep your food cold in 20 degree weather and below. I have used mine down to the teens as is with no issues.

Yep - specifically worried about an expensive repair of the fridge and freezing from the outside (via access panel). I've read the tips on keeping the inside warm and that info makes sense (electric heaters, setting furnace thermostat, heated tanks and hoses, skirting, etc...).

Here's one of the articles on winter camping that caused my concern for the fridge: https://www.reserveamerica.com/marketing.do?goto=acm/rv-winter-camping-tips.htm

I also read a long series of posts on a forum that discussed this type of problem, but can't find it for the life of me (irv2.com, rv.net, or the escapee's forum)...

It recommends a space heater (as does tx2sturgis, above) but that's a pretty small space. Do they sell heaters that would fit?

The article you linked seems to have been originally pulled from a forum posting...it was aggregated and then used a source of 'facts'....But I have no way of knowing if someone had a fridge that was way off level, stopped working, plugged up, and got damaged, or what.

My previous answers were focused on your statement that:

RV-type fridges can be damaged when the liquid used for absorption (ammonium) freezes.

This is almost certainly true, but the freezing point of the refrigerant solution is probably way below zero. Otherwise every RV dealer in the USA with RVs outside all winter long would have huge damages every year.

Now, as to the fact that an RV fridge can end up not working well in the cold, yes....you may need to make some adjustments...just like you will be doing for your plumbing and sewer connections, and the holding tanks.

Here's a good article....be sure to read the section on 'Propane System and Appliances':

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2001/01/winter-rving.html

It may be easy to dismiss the ice chest idea...right now...but come late January, at 8000 feet elevation and 25 degrees for a high daytime temp, you may find an ice chest is a pretty good alternative to trying to keep an RV fridge massaged into a barely useable appliance.

Not dismissing ice chest at all. If leaving my fridge off solves the problem that's what I would do.

TM, if you think you would be doing a lot of winter camping with hookups, you might want to add, (or simply replace your RV fridge with) a compressor fridge, either a 12 volt unit or a small 120v fridge.

These types don't depend on an ammonia solution and are completely enclosed in your heated space so they work good in cold weather, as long as they are kept in a reasonably warm interior living area.

Just another option.

I have had zero issues with propane use, with long run lines, to power heating in my house at -40°..cold temperatures won't damage the fridge and propane will be fine esoecially if you have acess to larger tanks.

Large tanks - specifically top surface area of the LPG - is the main factor in still putting out vapor pressure in cold temps, go to a bigger tank, or connect multiples up together and pressure increases.

There are also low-consumption flexible heating elements you can wrap the bottom of tanks with, or just use electric blankets.

Ignore youtubers heating propane tanks with open flames, boom bad!

I spent a winter in RV Park in Anchorage Alaska in a 24 foot travel trailer. I had been living in my van for the last 6 years, then my son decided he wanted to live with me instead of his mom so I parked the van and bought the trailer. I couldn't keep the pipes from freezing so I drained them and turned them off and used the Parks facilities.

It was a VERY cold winter!! Weeks at a time at -30. I Added a 100 pound bottle outside by the two 30 pounders on the tongue and used all three bottles.

Never had the slightest problem with propane running or the fridge. Until this thread, it never occurred to me a fridge could freeze, learn something new every day.

I could NOT keep that old trailer warm so I bought 500 watt heat lamps and directed them at us wherever we were so we stayed warm. So I agree with HDR, if the back of the fridge freezing was a problem, I'd use heat from a bulb/lamp and direct it at the back.

I'd also consider jury-rigging a duct off the furnace ducts/vents and direct it at the back of the fridge.