Windy Weather

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morningstar

Reaction score
Hi! I'm here in PA where the wind is whipping and from inside the coziness of my home, I am still scared! Not being a vandweller quite yet, I'm often finding myself thinking "now if I were living in my van how would i ___?" fill in the blank. Well today that blank is all about the impact of weather! How do you cope with extreme weather, like viscous winds, freezing cold, steamy heat, or intense rain? I imagine that many folks prefer to stay in climates that are more pleasant year-round, but maybe thats not the case for you? Do you ever get scared?  :s Just curious about how you deal with the weather  :heart:

Rain? Wind? Batten down the hatches, put on a pot of coffee.

If steamy heat substitute cold beer for coffee.

TMG51 said:
Rain? Wind? Batten down the hatches, put on a pot of coffee.

If steamy heat substitute cold beer for coffee.

haha, love it! ever been in tornado alley?

Point the nose into the wind then ride it out like Got !
Rock-a-bye baby..............

TMG
Point the nose AWAY and burn some gas !!!!
(Don't wait till you can see it !)

The few times I was scared was very high seas in the Caribbean and Texas with my new bride in my old step van with a flat when I saw the twister coming split rims rolled under an overpass and hung-on so to speak.

My set-up isn't quite as comfy as many here have theirs, and weather changes is the main factor to feeling that. I'm personally rooted to my area (Seattle) at the moment so whatever weather comes I deal with it.

Wind: I make sure to park away from trees or power lines. We do occasionally get brief, small twisters here but the main issue is just lots of trees, and especially if it's been raining a lot the soil gets waterlogged and then a windstorm blows down a bunch of them. I once moved spots when it became stormy only to find the next morning a massive branch had fallen in the exact spot I had been parked, temporarily closing the road. It would have dome serious damage to the van with me inside it.

Rain: I avoid parking directly under trees due to the larger raindrops dropping off them that are louder than normal rain. I turn on my little dehumidifier as much as I can to help help keep the play drier, and tend to seek more things do do that involve me being inside a building.

Cold: my setup doesn't currently have heater, and I'm very sensitive to cold. So far that means winters are somewhat miserable no matter what I do, but I have various strategies to improve it and it keeps getting better. One of the best investments I made was purchasing a high quality winter coat, gloves, and hat. I basically kept adding sleeping bags and liners to my sleep system until I could pile them up enough to stay warm. One of my sleeping bags is a thin cheap one that's slippery inside and out, and I get into it fully clothed to "hang out" in my van when not in bed, either in the front seat or in the back. If all else fails and I still get too cold I drive somewhere and blast the heat. Since I'm in a minivan, it's designed to blast heat to the back as well as the front so it helps a lot. Of course I have inserts in the windows to prevent heat loss there too. I've also had nights when my bf stays over primarily to help keep me warm, but that hasn't always been an option.

Heat: oh gosh. Well, I park in the shade if I can. I have a windshield insert to reflect the sun out and reduce heat gain. Inserts in the windows help. I have rain guards in my windows so I can crack them open without people noticing they're cracked. It still gets too hot in direct sunlight, and I plan to install a roof vent int eh future. In the meantime, my main strategy is 10" O2Cool fan that moves some serious air, paired with a water spray bottle i keep on hand. Temperatures inside easily reach 110*F and heat exhaustion is a real concern. My bf and I both got it a few times last summer and had to nurse each other through it. Having water in a spray bottle and the ability to create a stiff breeze makes a huge difference. Also, now that I have a fridge that works well I can keep a cold beverage in there at all times, which also makes a significant difference when overheating. Also: good air conditioning.

Do I ever get scared? Sometimes. Less and less the longer I do this. Getting heat exhaustion is scary, and I got severe hypothermia once when I was separated from the van in winter with insufficient clothing. I probably would have died if someone hadn't helped me, and though it was over a year ago I still suffer aftereffects from it. Having the large branch fall directly where my van had been was scary. But, each and every one of these things was preventable with basic common sense. I got the warm clothing and in winter never go anywhere without it. I got a digital thermometer to keep in my van to help me monitor how hot or cold it is, so I can adjust accordingly before things get too bad.

I actually find a good ol' rain and wind storm quite exciting; when I was living in a sticks and bricks house I would always try to find a way to be closer to it; now that I'm in my van I quite relish the sensations of the wind rocking me around and the rain and hail pelting the roof. :D I feel energized by it. Oh, and try not to park anywhere where it's likely to get hit by lightning. Another common sense thing.

Weather definitely plays a significant role in my lifestyle, and while it's annoying some days to have my plans affected by it, sometimes it's kinda nice to have that eel of being closer to nature, especially since I live in the city.

I've been scared one time, in the Black Hills of SD. Thunder and lightning blew in like I've never seen or heard before. I really ws very concerned for our safety.

It was forecast for every night that week so I broke camp and got out of there as fast as I could.

Been through lots of windstorms in the desert--they are just annoying, never been scared of them.
Bob

ride it out or bug out. to each it's different. after RTR this year we were camped outside of Ludlow CA. there was an earthquake, we were less than 1 mile from the epicenter shook us pretty good. we were literally on top of it. we stayed. what I am trying to say is everyone is different, it's a personal choice in what you are comfortable with. should I stay or should I go. highdesertranger

Just south of Thunder Bay, Ontario. Big black cloud suddenly overhead ... the hail started as pea sized then marble sized, then worse. Pulled over to the side of the road just as everything let go. Hunkered down in the back of the van and the roar was tremendous. We could not hear each other shout. The hail came in waves and I was sure the windshield would burst at any second. I could see the plastic roof vent cover flex and vibrate as it was struck by the hail stones. In five minutes it was over and the sun came out and there was a rainbow over everything. No damage, other than one windshield wiper was broken, even the flat mounted glass solar panel on the roof was unscathed. Whew!

Best to always be keeping an eye on the weather.  I use real time apps or programs and will usually check them anytime I'm even remotely worried about the weather.  There is usually a decent warning for any bad storms and most of them are not that large that dodging them is not too much of a hassle. 

A weather radio or listening to local radio is also recommended if those are not available.

Wind.Me and Vic came home one fall and found three of our panels scattered across the yard and garden.None were damaged.It's amazing how tough those things are.

In southern NM it appears the most consistent strong winds are from virga where rain never makes it to the ground. As it evaporates it creates very high winds. Most of the time you aren't expecting it because the cloud looks so innocuous. Couple of minutes later, it's all over except picking up the damage.

highdesertranger said:
ride it out or bug out.  to each it's different.  after RTR this year we were camped outside of Ludlow CA.  there was an earthquake,  we were less than 1 mile from the epicenter shook us pretty good.  we were literally on top of it.  we stayed.  what I am trying to say is everyone is different,  it's a personal choice in what you are comfortable with.  should I stay or should I go.  highdesertranger
It takes a lot of wind to tip a van over. Tornadoes are another matter - remember they can drive things with enough velocity to penetrate metal.

Only thing that ever startled me: I was sleeping in my pickup at a rifle range one night when a rare Colorado earthquake shook everything.  Turned out to be just a 4.something, but it felt like Sasquatch snuck up and gave my truck a really good good shove from the side.

Even though the epicenter was a ways away, it made an ominous noise. Kinda funny to have a bunch of well-trained people emerge warily from their rigs, with rifles and bright flashlights, trying to figure out what happened.  We all had a good laugh when we figured it out, then went back to sleep. 

Wish I camped around like-minded people like that every night...

Bitty said:
My set-up isn't quite as comfy as many here have theirs, and weather changes is the main factor to feeling that. I'm personally rooted to my area (Seattle) at the moment so whatever weather comes I deal with it.

Wind: I make sure to park away from trees or power lines. We do occasionally get brief, small twisters here but the main issue is just lots of trees, and especially if it's been raining a lot the soil gets waterlogged and then a windstorm blows down a bunch of them. I once moved spots when it became stormy only to find the next morning a massive branch had fallen in the exact spot I had been parked, temporarily closing the road. It would have dome serious damage to the van with me inside it.

Rain: I avoid parking directly under trees due to the larger raindrops dropping off them that are louder than normal rain. I turn on my little dehumidifier as much as I can to help help keep the play drier, and tend to seek more things do do that involve me being inside a building.

Cold: my setup doesn't currently have heater, and I'm very sensitive to cold. So far that means winters are somewhat miserable no matter what I do, but I have various strategies to improve it and it keeps getting better. One of the best investments I made was purchasing a high quality winter coat, gloves, and hat. I basically kept adding sleeping bags and liners to my sleep system until I could pile them up enough to stay warm. One of my sleeping bags is a thin cheap one that's slippery inside and out, and I get into it fully clothed to "hang out" in my van when not in bed, either in the front seat or in the back. If all else fails and I still get too cold I drive somewhere and blast the heat. Since I'm in a minivan, it's designed to blast heat to the back as well as the front so it helps a lot. Of course I have inserts in the windows to prevent heat loss there too. I've also had nights when my bf stays over primarily to help keep me warm, but that hasn't always been an option.

Heat: oh gosh. Well, I park in the shade if I can. I have a windshield insert to reflect the sun out and reduce heat gain. Inserts in the windows help. I have rain guards in my windows so I can crack them open without people noticing they're cracked. It still gets too hot in direct sunlight, and I plan to install a roof vent int eh future. In the meantime, my main strategy is 10" O2Cool fan that moves some serious air, paired with a water spray bottle i keep on hand. Temperatures inside easily reach 110*F and heat exhaustion is a real concern. My bf and I both got it a few times last summer and had to nurse each other through it. Having water in a spray bottle and the ability to create a stiff breeze makes a huge difference. Also, now that I have a fridge that works well I can keep a cold beverage in there at all times, which also makes a significant difference when overheating. Also: good air conditioning.

Do I ever get scared? Sometimes. Less and less the longer I do this. Getting heat exhaustion is scary, and I got severe hypothermia once when I was separated from the van in winter with insufficient clothing. I probably would have died if someone hadn't helped me, and though it was over a year ago I still suffer aftereffects from it. Having the large branch fall directly where my van had been was scary. But, each and every one of these things was preventable with basic common sense. I got the warm clothing and in winter never go anywhere without it. I got a digital thermometer to keep in my van to help me monitor how hot or cold it is, so I can adjust accordingly before things get too bad.

I actually find a good ol' rain and wind storm quite exciting; when I was living in a sticks and bricks house I would always try to find a way to be closer to it; now that I'm in my van I quite relish the sensations of the wind rocking me around and the rain and hail pelting the roof. :D I feel energized by it. Oh, and try not to park anywhere where it's likely to get hit by lightning. Another common sense thing.

Weather definitely plays a significant role in my lifestyle, and while it's annoying some days to have my plans affected by it, sometimes it's kinda nice to have that eel of being closer to nature, especially since I live in the city.

Bitty-

You seem so brave to me! How inspiring that despite any weather challenge, you have preserved! Through heat and crazy wind/rain bringing branches down! I'm so glad that you moved your home before the branch came down! Phew! I LOVE storms, but the reality for me is that mother nature is always much stronger than I am, and she can really bring the elemental strong! With the wind here the other day, I was afraid that if I were in my van, I might blow away! (I many have a very good imagination tho! hehe) I LOVE that you are such an adventurer (in my eyes!) Thank you! <3  <3
-M

cognitive dissonance said:
It takes a lot of wind to tip a van over. Tornadoes are another matter - remember they can drive things with enough velocity to penetrate metal.

Only thing that ever startled me: I was sleeping in my pickup at a rifle range one night when a rare Colorado earthquake shook everything.  Turned out to be just a 4.something, but it felt like Sasquatch snuck up and gave my truck a really good good shove from the side.

Even though the epicenter was a ways away, it made an ominous noise. Kinda funny to have a bunch of well-trained people emerge warily from their rigs, with rifles and bright flashlights, trying to figure out what happened.  We all had a good laugh when we figured it out, then went back to sleep. 

Wish I camped around like-minded people like that every night...

haha! what an adventure! We had an earthquake in NJ a few times... but it felt like a huge semi drove past my house!