Windshield Wiper help please

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayWhale

Reaction score
My windshield wiper only makes a noise but won't move. Like it's stuck.

Last big snowfall, a huge chunk of snow accumulated on top of my roof. I was stuck so didn't bother to clear the snow off the roof.  The sun started melting it but the cold refroze it, so it got harder and heavier. Then it slid down the windshield in huge chunk and bent 1 wiper arm, pointing downward. 

Now it's not turning the wipers. I can hear the same wiper motor sound, but no movement like something is seized. Thanks for any help

It is common for the linkage to come apart. You will find it behind the cowl, right under the windshield. Napa and such sell replacement bushings.

what kind of vehicle? it's a common problem for Dodges, Ford and Chevy's not so much. highdesertranger

Can you move the wiper blades by hand?
If so, something has come loose or broke in the linkages between the motor and the blades

highdesertranger said:
what kind of vehicle?  it's a common problem for Dodges,   Ford and Chevy's not so much.  highdesertranger

2000 Dodge Conversion 5.9L      Sorry about that.

poncho62 said:
Can you move the wiper blades by hand?
If so, something has come loose or broke in the linkages between the motor and the blades

You mean actually operate the wiper arm by hand w/o any power to them? That won't break anything?

You take the cowel cover off, (Remove wipers firsr) and replace the insert where it is disconnected.  They just pop in.  It might take some finess. They have slots and or tabs for a reason.

This is a Dodge truck, They are designed for people to be able to fix. Do not worry about things breaking if you wiggle them. If it breaks, you are better off not having it happen while driving. Once the linkage is back together, wiggle it to make sure it is on right.

Mine went out when I crossed over from Oregon to Washington.  I had to do it in the rain.  I now carry spare inserts.