WINDOWS

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TALLMAN

Reaction score
Moved into RV and believe it or not window cracked about 2 feet long 3ed day I was in it. Its a 96 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Le, and so far the best price for window replacement drivers side is 1146 dollars plus tax, any ideas.

If you can't get a replacement or repair through insurance, take it to a junk yard. They often have cheap replacements (because they didn't pay for the car), and all you need to do is get someone to put it in. Some junk yards will even do that for you. Can easily cut the bill in half.

Tallman, I'm not experienced enough with RVs to have a definitive idea for you, but I do want to express my sympathy. Ouch!!! That's gotta hurt to be whacked with that kind of repair bill right away.

And now for a little uneducated speculation...If it happened to me, I'd try to find a place that works with Plexiglass (plastic) and see what they would charge to fabricate and install one (perhaps a double pane) to your RV's window. They make some of that stuff very thick and strong. I find it hard to believe there isn't somebody who'd be happy to do it for a good deal less than a thousand dollars. Hey, I'd even go to a house window manufacturer and see how much they charge to fabricate a special shape (unbreakable) window and install it in such a way that it would stand up to a vehicles vibrations. Also, is it possible to just "patch/repair" or stabilize the crack without replacing the window? But, of course, those ideas are not based on experience, so they may be unworkable.

Whatever you do with it, again, you have my sympathy...and may this be the last thing that breaks on that RV for a very long time.

GP

Our salon window took a hit from a guy whacking golf balls in the desert. It shattered the dern thing, little pieces of glass everywhere. The guy was a couple hundred yards away and hauled ass when I went out. No way I could catch him with oxygen issues.

Well, knowing a place in Quartzsite that had used windows, I cut in some coreplast and waited till we got there. No luck. Frame and all is expensive...if you can find one.

I ended up using 1/4" lexan. The old rubber was pretty bad, so I did a neat job with black silicone to set and seal it.
The original was slightly tinted, like stock car windows, so being clear, it looks a bit different since its clear. If your windows are dark tint use smoke lexan.
Window tint film doesn't work on plexi/lexan.

Uggg...just re-read.

Driver's side window.
My repair was on a fixed pane.

`

There are junkyards around the country that specialize in RV parts.

Just google "rv junkyards".

I don't know if a glass repair place like Safelite could fix a two foot crack, but it could't hurt to ask them.

Regards
John

Plexiglas won't work for a windshield because it scratches too easily. You wouldn't even be able to see out of it in a couple of months.

RV junk yards do exist but they aren't everywhere. Do a search online of places in your area. If the piece of glass is flat, not curved, you might find a larger used piece that a glass shop can cut down and install. If the windshield is curved, you're pretty much stuck with getting it replaced.

Another option is to just leave it alone and keep an eye on it to see if it starts to leak or get much worse. As an avid driver of less-than-perfect vehicles, I am well used to cracked windshields. The only real downside to a cracked windshield is that your windshield wipers will wear out much sooner from rubbing over the crack.

John

Jamo....Quite right, plexi ain't no good for a windshield. The word "window" indicated to me "a side window" since the term "windshield" wasn't used.

The problem with having any motorhome windows/windshields re-cut to size is that they are safety glass that will shatter to a million pieces without proper equipment and knowledge. It can be as costly as new in many cases. Even then, the pros admit they sometimes blow the deal and it shatters.
Certain types of glass such as tempered doors and rear windows cannot be cut or modified at all, so don't just start cutting.

Some stated have laws about cracked windshields, especially on the driver side.

EDIT..."some STATES"

Jamo said:
Another option is to just leave it alone and keep an eye on it to see if it starts to leak or get much worse. As an avid driver of less-than-perfect vehicles, I am well used to cracked windshields. The only real downside to a cracked windshield is that your windshield wipers will wear out much sooner from rubbing over the crack.

John

Depends on where you have registered the vehicle. In NY, a cracked windshield as he described would fail inspection.

Regards
John