Windows or No Windows? Your preference?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of builds where folks completely panel up the windows.  Others just cover them at night with shades or Reflectix.

Thinking about the pros and cons, I see both sides.  I don't mind not having any windows as long as I have good lighting.  It would make me feel more secure at night to think no one will smash out a window to break into the van.  Then again, it would make me nervous to hear folks outside and not be able to see out.  On the flip side, windows just make everything brighter and more open.  

What's your preference, or what do you think the pros and cons are of each?  (Not just aesthetically, but from a security standpoint, too.)  And speaking of windows, are there any reasons why tinting your windows to help keep the van cooler would NOT be a good idea?  I know tinted windows are illegal in some places, but is it really a problem?

My first van didn't have windows. My current van does. I prefer windows. Even though I cover most of them, the windows right behind the front seats I leave uncovered unless I'm sleeping.

I used 3/4" foam board for the rear 4 windows. And then I use Refletix which is easier to remove on the rest, including the windshield and front windows. So you can insulate them.

Plus, it makes your van look better then not having any at all (if that matters to you).

I painted the foam boards and I like them a lot.

wx5UlHxl.jpg

ayMrngJl.jpg

I like light, I like to see out; lots of windows for me.  It's easier to insulate and cover windows for privacy than to open up 'no windows' to light and view.

cover them up, I have foam insulation then hardboard over all my rear windows. Number one problem too much heat/cold comes through those windows. I just have LED lighting, its all I need. I could have all my lights on at 1 am, and no one outside will see anything.
Some people like the ventilation they provide, but its very minimal, its easier to just put in some side vents.

Inside of my van, rear compartment no windows. Its built for comfort not aesthetics, thats why I didnt add wallpaper. Straight ahead behind the foam door is the driver area. In 5 years never missed not having windows.
a divider door a.jpg

Attachments

• a divider door a.jpg
    a divider door a.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 13
Windows will make a vehicle much colder or warmer. I have two small windows so I can see. The value of being able to see who or what is at the trailer has value. It's also nice to have another egress. You don't need windows, but even if it is a small porthole that doesn't open, that is almost like not having a window, but you can still see if necessary. Perhaps peepholes would give you some ability to see while still maintaining an almost complete windowless build. Cameras are awesome, but that has its own set of pros and cons.

Windows with curtains and portable reflectix panels for when I need to block overhead parking lot lighting.

Thinking that less windows is a security option is pointless - you'll always have a windshield and side windows in the driving compartment. Also, unless you're constantly living in a major high crime situation, crime possibilities is so low as not to be a concern except for the paranoid!

If you're going nomad, one of the reasons is for the scenery - why block the view!

Windows are hard to insulate. My van was used, so I didn't get to choose the window setup. It has factory tinted rear windows but no others in the cargo area. I like it just fine.

I keep to warmer climates and love our limo tinted windows. I can see out, but folks can’t see in unless they press up to the glass. I use reflectix for more privacy at night.

No windows for me. I prefer not to have light leaking outside at night, and if I want to see the pretty view I'll step outside.

Thanks everyone! I guess it just comes down to personal preference and not anything statistical or "wise."

CaptainBuilt said:
My first van didn't have windows. My current van does. I prefer windows.
Thanks for including your pictures!  I can't get enough of seeing other people's conversions!  I like your personal touch, painting the foam panels!

I wanted to get a van with NO windows and if the cave bothered me I would install a window or two. I ended up with a wheelchair passenger van with big windows. Only the side door window opens and one long window behind the driver. So for air it's pretty useless. For light it's great, if your in a fish bowl. I hate having windows. It is a little easier to add a window than cover it up.
My next van will have no side windows, maybe back windows but I would rather add exactly the window I want. Windows are not cheap but I would still rather have a cave to start with. It would make are insulating more uniform as well as the finish walls. Then when the money is available install a window.

I vote NO windows.

CaptainBuilt said:
My first van didn't have windows. My current van does. I prefer windows. Even though I cover most of them, the windows right behind the front seats I leave uncovered unless I'm sleeping.

I used 3/4" foam board for the rear 4 windows. And then I use Refletix which is easier to remove on the rest, including the windshield and front windows. So you can insulate them.

Plus, it makes your van look better then not having any at all (if that matters to you).

I painted the foam boards and I like them a lot.

wx5UlHxl.jpg

ayMrngJl.jpg

Those painted foam boards look really nice ! Smile

Jack said:
Thanks everyone!  I guess it just comes down to personal preference and not anything statistical or "wise."

Wisdom:   Windows allow a lot of cold or heat.  Put some reflectix in your front window, then after the sun has been on it a bit feel the glass.
There is still a lot of heat coming in the window. My window gets very hot to the touch. Cold would be the same way.

Bob posted a video:      talking about using an exterior window cover.  For us, having
the Nissan Cargo Van, I purchased 5 Survival Blankets.  I use two on the front window, one across the back two windows, folded, and one
on each window of the cab area, folded.  I use the large magnets to secure in place.  Works great.  After doing this since seeing the video, maybe a month now (?)  I am finding it much cooler in the van than just with the reflectix in the front window.  Much cooler window; now actually touchable in the hottest sun. 

Rainy weather, sun is not out much so I take them off and put reflectix in just in case.  Also, remove them at night because I do not want to
deal with dew/moisture.  I actually pull them way up on the front metal part above the window also.  I secure the bottom with the windshield
wipers, and one magnet at top on each side.  These are wide enough that a little of the survival blanket actually is held down by the two
cab doors.  Pretty secure.  So glad I saw the video about covering the front window.   :)   Bob showed us a great idea!

Nissi said:
Bob posted a video:      talking about using an exterior window cover.  For us, having the Nissan Cargo Van, I purchased 5 Survival Blankets. 

I haven't seen that video yet, so thanks!  I've pretty much opted for window.  Having no windows was something I was considering out of... I wouldn't say "fear" but definitely "concern."  The beauty of having the windows will occur a lot more often than the wishing I didn't have them, so...
Then again, it all depends on what's available when I'm ready to buy.  New?  Used?  Who knows?  In that sense, the decision may already be made for me.

Question:  Is it possible/difficult/expensive to replace power windows and locks with manual ones?  That's right, I prefer manual.  Less to go wrong.

Jack said:
I haven't seen that video yet, so thanks!  I've pretty much opted for window.  Having no windows was something I was considering out of... I wouldn't say "fear" but definitely "concern."  The beauty of having the windows will occur a lot more often than the wishing I didn't have them, so...

Windows are really nice for allowing light.  But,
1/  harder to heat/cool    This has really become an obvious consideration as we spend a lot of time in our van.
2/  we have our beds/bunks filling one wall and our shower and cabinets filling the other wall.
3/  One of the back windows we permanently covered/insulated, and use as additional storage
4/  We use every inch within the van. Windows would be difficult to work around for us

This would have been a question we might have asked, but after having our van with only rear windows,
I now know what I will choose, if we again acquire another van.

Certainly lots of choices...

Nissi said:
Certainly lots of choices...
One thing I'm learning pretty quick about van life is that there are pros and cons to  a.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y.  e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g!   As someone whose struggled with perfectionistic tendencies his entire life, I've finally been getting it through my head that perfect doesn't exist on this side of heaven. 

I'm praying for a new vehicle, depreciation or not, because I'm looking at keeping it for at least 10 years.  If I'm able to buy new, I'll figure out the window situation then!  Even if I made up my mind now, it would likely change when I'm ready to buy a vehicle anyway!  And, if I get a used vehicle, well, that decision will have already been made for me, right?!   :idea:

When I look at the root of the window situation, the only reason NOT to have them (for me) is because people can't behave themselves and want things that don't belong to them.  I like windows.  I want to be able to enjoy the view when I'm in my van!  It makes me think about the time when I die.  I want to be cremated.  I spent my whole life in a box.  I don't want to be buried in one.