Windows Maps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken ed

Reaction score
I have found Windows 10 built-in maps pretty much useless. Not completely useless, but compared to my iPhone or Android, both of which have a GPS chip and can import way-points or favorites, Windows is very lacking. I have paid for and tried maps from the Microsoft store, but they didn't work very well, if at all.

Then I found GPS Routs on the Microsoft Store. The app is free, and there are no nag screens, advertising or even a way to pay anything at all. GPS Routs appear to use Windows Maps, including off line maps you've downloaded to your device. Best of all and unlike Wondows Maps you can import KLM and GPX files. I still don't have a GPS chip set, but you can for example download Bob Wells campsites in KLM format from Google Maps and import them into GPS Routs. If you've downloaded offline maps everything will work without an internet connection.

map.jpg
GPS Routs

bob.jpg
Google Maps

Hope this helps some people using Windows.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    129.1 KB
  • bob.jpg
    bob.jpg
    98 KB
I grew up on USGS maps so all of these other maps seem lacking to me. highdesertranger

And seeing even a $20 smartphone can do gMaps, I can't imagine digging out my PC just for navigating.

I like the larger screen when planing a trip. So prefer to use google maps on the PC. While under way the Droid Phone is good enough. Verizon Navigator has lead me wrong a few times. I used to have USGS on line, or download. I guess that is still available?

I prefer a compass, no batteries or Internet connection required. I've had a compass before cell phones, Internet or GPS was available to the public. I like compasses enough, I took two navigation courses years ago.

Out of all devices I have, Android, iOS, Linux and Windows; Windows is the least stable. However it's a 10 inch tablet and any maps look pretty good.

But I wasn't thinking about myself when I made this post, I was thinking about people that may have a Windows phone or tablet looking for offline alternative over the maps app that comes with Windows.

I use MAPS.ME on a smart phone.

https://maps.me/

It is a free App and you can download any region, state, country as needed.

Does not require cell service to work !!

Jeff

Kind of hard to pick a road and a future turn using a compass.

Hey Weight, yes, not perfect but knowledge of dead reckoning and declination will get you there with a compass.

Jeff, I agree 100%, maps me is hands-down the best. Although free, I've paid to have it on my iPhone and Android tablet.

This app is used by many migrants to make their way to the EU. No matter your feelings on the migrant issue in Europe, the maps me app is impressive for people that walk for weeks and travel across water to find their way to EU boarders using an off line app. Even the CEO of maps me said he never thought of this use when interviewed.

Maps Me recently added tracks as well, very useful for camping out in the desert and finding your way back.

If I had to choose one mapping - navigation app, I would choose maps me without hesitation.

Latest posts