Window replacement help in Florida..???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spark

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in dire need of replacing the windows in my 1994 Ford Cargo Van. Survived the hurricane
windows are NOT designed for the van and won't close and they leak..with winter coming and RTR  hopes.. I can not  go with these windows as they are.
Anyone in the TampaBay area or drive able location who has tools and strength that might work with me.. found two locations I can pick up used Windows ( limited budget)
Please PM me if it's something you might feel like doing !!!
Peace !
Spark

Well I haven't looked at them however they are used RV and Van windows . A figure thru the two options I should be able to find options..My greatest concern is how the current windows are installed if this will thwart options.. And in all honesty.. If I removed and sealed up all the windows and kept just the slide-door window .that would be okay as well..

I am confused. do you have a picture?

let me see, you have a window and it is broken? you say in won't close, is this a rear door window? or a side window? you say it leaks, is this because it will not close? or is the outer seal leaking? are you looking to fix it or replace it? again pictures would help. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I am confused.  do you have a picture?

let me see,  you have a window and it is broken?  you say in won't close,  is this a rear door window?  or a side window?  you say it leaks,  is this  because it will not close?  or is the outer seal leaking?  are you looking to fix it or replace it?  again pictures would help.  highdesertranger

I bought a 1994 Ford Cargo Van.. The windows were added by a previous owner..they are NOT stock and are poorly installed.. They are crank windows like the old Florida windows you see here..

Attachments

• IMG_20171107_152644.jpg
    IMG_20171107_152644.jpg
    1.2 MB
Ouch!

You're going to have to find windows that are a bit larger than the opening that has already been cut in the van wall. Don't buy anything yet!

Let me see if I can find someone for you in the Tampa area...no promises but I might know someone who knows someone!

Might take me a few days so be patient!

yeah those windows are a poor choice for several reasons. your best option would be to replace them with RV/van windows. I would try to find used ones. keep in mind RV windows have radius corners so you will need windows a little larger. if you just want to temporarily fix them you could reseal them and replace the broken plane with a piece of Plexiglas. which brings up another question are those windows even DOT approved? highdesertranger

Almost There said:
Ouch!

You're going to have to find windows that are a bit larger than the opening that has already been cut in the van wall. Don't buy anything yet!

Let me see if I can find someone for you in the Tampa area...no promises but I might know someone who knows someone!

Might take me a few days so be patient!

No worries I am South a bit to celebrate my Dad's  90th for this weekend ..then he has. Major repair surgery.. Keeping finders crossed .
Thank you so much.. And that whole window thing .. The more stealth the better. 
Again Thanks !!!

highdesertranger said:
yeah those windows are a poor choice for several reasons.  your best option would be to replace them with RV/van windows.  I would try to find used ones.  keep in mind RV windows have radius corners so you will need windows a little larger.  if you just want to temporarily fix them you could reseal them and replace the broken plane with a piece of Plexiglas.   which brings up another question are those windows even DOT approved?  highdesertranger

In all honesty I have no clue... Bought been driving her for 6 months..

highdesertranger said:
yeah those windows are a poor choice for several reasons.  your best option would be to replace them with RV/van windows.  I would try to find used ones.  keep in mind RV windows have radius corners so you will need windows a little larger.  if you just want to temporarily fix them you could reseal them and replace the broken plane with a piece of Plexiglas.   which brings up another question are those windows even DOT approved?  highdesertranger

In all honesty I have no clue... Bought and  been driving her for 6 months.. There are two salvage options ones not far  from m the other in Pinellas Park.. He has RV/ Van windows used .. Very reasonable and  seems to know a little bit about them ..if I had discretionary bucks.. Would make it easier however not at this time..

Not just a poor choice.. If you saw the inside you would cringe..can the whole window be removed and metal replace it with a gasket kinda thing? And just put a good window in the sliding door ?
I have a roof vent which I will eventually attach to a solar panel .

Or the window replacement it's not plexi.. But it's better properties. Which keep the heat / cold out

to properly get rid of the widow a piece of sheet metal would need to be welded in. not an easy or cheap job. however for a temporary fix you could remove the window and get a piece of sheet metal larger then the opening and use something like 3M VHB tape to cover the opening. I wouldn't count on it as a permanent fix. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
to properly get rid of the widow a piece of sheet metal would need to be welded in.  not an easy or cheap job.  however for a temporary fix you could remove the window and get a piece of sheet metal larger then the opening and use something like 3M VHB tape to cover the opening.  I wouldn't count on it as a permanent fix.  highdesertranger

Mmm... That doesn't sound wise or safe.. Think I'll sit tight...ID rather have Windows then ..I just am not able to do it by myself.. I'm 62 ( ugh hate saying that) and physically it's just not an option

highdesertranger said:
what's not wise or safe?  the 3M tape is not going to fail.  highdesertranger

Ah... Okay .. However I would rather put windows in and make it look better I can always black out the windows..I am on a very limited budget so I'd rather do this just once .

Shift Chick - I'm working on getting you some help there!

What is the make/model/year of your van?

Does it look like the window openings were there before - as in it had stock windows in the beginning and someone replaced them with the jalousie windows?

Are there more than just the two of them on the passenger side - ie is there stupid stuff on the driver's side or back as well?

Almost There said:
Shift Chick - I'm working on getting you some help there!

What is the make/model/year of your van?

Does it look like the window openings were there before - as in it had stock windows in the beginning and someone replaced them with the jalousie windows?

Are there more than just the two of them on the passenger side - ie is there stupid stuff on the driver's side or back as well?
Wow... Thank you soo much.. I've included the other picture .thought they were included before sorry..
She is a 1994 Ford 1500.. 
From what I see on the inside..I don't  believe  there were stock Windows..

Attachments

• IMG_20171107_152655.jpg
    IMG_20171107_152655.jpg
    1 MB
Shift Chick said:
Wow... Thank you soo much.. I've included the other picture .thought they were included before sorry..
She is a 1994 Ford 1500.. 
From what I see on the inside..I don't  believe  there were stock Windows..also the windows are bolted from the outside and a frame of wood to support screens (pretty ugly)
Anything else you need to know ??

That was not done by any professional.

Latest posts