Window blackout materials that worked for me

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemon_Dropped

Reaction score
Good day everyone.

I live in a 2014 Ford E350 cargo van.  Using information from these forums, I made some blackout materials for my windows.  They may not suit everyone's fancy, but for me, they work great, and I want to share with others.   

Materials (where I purchased mine):
- 3M Super 77 spray adhesive (home depot)
- Clear shipping tape (amazon)
- Gift wrapping paper (I had some already)
- Brown package shipping paper (amazon)
- Squares of black EVA foam (Michaels craft store)
- 2 rolls of Reflectix ((amazon)

I traced my window shape onto the gift wrapping paper with a marker (pencil poked through the paper).  It's flimsy to deal with, but using patience I got it done.  Then, I transferred the shape to stiffer paper (I used brown package shipping paper).  I labeled each template (driver, passenger, barn door, etc).  I constantly checked the templates against the actual windows to make sure the fit was good.  It was tedious but worth the effort. 

Once I had a good set of templates, I set squares of black EVA foam onto the template, and cut them to fit.  I then used clear shipping tape to hold the foam pieces together, nice and snug.  The foam is thick enough so the seams were tight.  Then I traced Reflectix to fit each template.

Finally, I sprayed 3M Super 77 adhesive on each, and glued them together, so that I had double sided window coverings: black EVA foam on one side, Reflectix on the other.  The drivers window and passenger window can use the same covering, just "flipped", depending on whether I wanted black facing out, or Reflectix facing out.  Same with the barn door window.  The coverings fit into the window frame by compression so I don't need to clip it or use magnets.

The back windows weren't as easy.  The windows are not symmetrical, and the templates wouldn't "flip", so I had to create separate coverings for each window (one Reflectix + one black EVA foam for each window). 

I attached photos of one of finished coverings.  Thanks to folks here who recommended black EVA foam.

Attachments

• window1.JPG
    window1.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 12
  • window2.JPG
    window2.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 9
I did basically the same thing except I covered the black side with black Gorilla tape which made it super durable and the tape overlap was flexible enough and thin enough to seal out any light.

How thick is the EVA foam?

I did something similar but I used black out curtains bought at Walmart. Also used Super 77 adhesive. The 4 windows in the rear of my GMS Savana van have a lip around them, and the Reflectix slides in and holds perfectly well. No templates, I just kept trimming the edges of the Reflectix until the fit was good.