Wind Turbine

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motrukdriver

Reaction score
Is anyone using a portable vertical axis wind turbine to charge your house batteries at night?  I've been seeing some nice portable VAWT's lately that are light weight, need just a light breeze and fairly inexpensive.  I'm thinking a hinged pole at the rear of your rig to attach the VAWT and you can raise and lower as needed, locked in the down position for travel of course.  With the winds out west this might be a good additional power source to add to your solar.  Cloudy days always seem to be windy.

Sounds like a capitol idea!
You saw the Bob Wells video, I'd assume?

I did not. I've been researching alternative energy for decades and I just stumbled on some pretty cool looking and light weight vertical axis wind turbines. It got me thinking about vehicle use. I'll have to look up his video.

Here is the type I was checking out.  Dunno how much it would cost to get it shipped from China to the US.  The heaviest one at 400 watts is 21kgs/46.25lbs.  Might be a little heavy including the pole for some of us but two of the smaller ones could be doable for most.  Those little blue and white vanes twirling up there on the back of a rig might bring about a ton of questions and interest.      http://shdgpower.en.made-in-china.c...bines-Small-Vertical-Axis-Wind-Generator.html

I'd like to see a power produced vs wind speed graph, but the rated wind speed looks good. (Produces some power at 5 mph, rated power at 25 mph, survives 100 mph.)
Seems to be available in various colors.
Puts out 3-phase AC, will need to be rectified and a controller designed for wind.

I just sent an email requesting prices. Maybe if there is enough interest a bulk purchase can be made to possibly bring the price per unit down. I'll post the info when I get it back.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't wind turbines need dummy loads for when the batteries are topped off?

Got some information back on these wind turbines. Here is the power curve for the 400 watt version:

vawtdata.jpg

And here is the quote for the wind turbine and two different types of controllers.  Not sure about the controllers as I'd probably want more than 300 watts of solar for the combination one. Those prices are FOB Shanghai to the US so I'm guessing it includes shipping to somewhere on the west coast.

400w SV model vertical wind turbine (DG-SV-400W)

1. Power: 400W
2. Voltage: 12V/24V                
3. Start-up wind speed: 2m/s            
4. Rated wind speed: 11m/s              
5. Survival wind speed: 45m/s                
6. Wheel diameter: 0.54m                      
7. No. Of Blades: 10pcs
8. Bades material: aluminum alloy
9. Generator: maglev generator    

1 unit US$570.00

Normal wind power controller

1. Power: 600w                
2. Voltage: 24V
3. only control wind turbine
4. without LED display

1 unit  US$30.00

Wind-solar hybrid controller with RS232

1. Power: 600W(wind)+300W(solar)
2. Voltage: 12V/24V
3. control wind turbine and solar panel
4. with LED display & setting functions

1 unit US$120.00

Technical data:
DG-SV-400w
Rated Power: 400w
Max. Power: 410w
Rated Voltage: 12v & 24v
Start-up Wind Speed: 2m/s
Rated Wind Speed: 11m/s
Survival Wind Speed: 45m/s
Wheel Diameter: 0.54meters
Blades Number: 12
Blades Material: aluminum alloy
Generator: maglev generator
Speed Regulation: automatically adjust windward
The IP level: IP65 for wind generator
Lubrication System: filling lubricating grease by manual each year
Warranty Period: 2years
Lifetime: 20years

Motrukdriver said:
And here is the quote for the wind turbine and two different types of controllers.  Not sure about the controllers as I'd probably want more than 300 watts of solar for the combination one. Those prices are FOB Shanghai to the US so I'm guessing it includes shipping to somewhere on the west coast.

400w SV model vertical wind turbine (DG-SV-400W)
1. If your going full timer off grid. 
2. I'd be wanting to see quite a few reviews on any of them before buying. 
3. Locations it would be used.
4. Location's you tend to boondock for long period of time, as in not enough sunlight, as in maybe Washington ,state or Oregon?
5. Take that credit card to safe deposit box. Gives you more time to not impulse buy. I used to do that. Impluse buy. It's a killer.

In APA format? LoL

There's lots of plans on the internet, perhaps a 'low commitment' model to see how practical it is for you ...

36W at night is infinitely more than the spendiest solar system at same time.

Gideon33w said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't wind turbines need dummy loads for when the batteries are topped off?

Depends on the design of the turbine.

Simpler designs do usually need a diversion (or dump) load, normally something like a heating element in a water tank, large air cooled resistor, or some other way to keep a load on the turbine (and keep RPM in the safe range) when the batteries have been topped up.

More expensive units have self-feathering blades or tails that yaw, (and some have built-in diversion loads) providing a way to slow the blade rotation when winds are up and high output is no longer needed.

I saw one on utube that someone made out of 4" pvc pipe. Looked neat, not sure how well it worked. There are lots of books out there on building your own wind turbine.

Don't have any experience with wind power but have read and told it can be a mechanical nightmare. I would check boating resources for reviews.

FOB point is in China. For those that don't already know FOB stands for Free On Board an old nautical term I believe. What is important to know is the FOB point is where title to the goods passes from seller to buyer. In plain English YOU own it once they put the shipping label on the box. This is important because if lost or damaged it's your problem to deal with.

Be sure to use a US based shipping company and make certain it's insured.

@Musicman

Saw those, too! Most generator motor articles are aimed at off-grid (110V)

Wonder what a person would use for a 12V system?

I'm thinking 5Amps or so- on a cloudy day a 2Amp charger kept batteries full with fridge running.