Wind Turbine vs Solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AimlessWanderLust said:
It seems you are dead-set on going the wind route, which is fine if it's worth it to you, but I don't understand why you asked for opinions if you don't like the advice? I think I'll give up now.

Good luck, whatever you do!
Actually I am coming to the opposite conclusion. I would do wind if I were building a homestead in a windy area. However, I am going to be mobile so it seems that the wind turbine idea is not practical. My concern with solar is that it seems very expensive for even a small output with the price dropping quickly as you scale up.

That power pack is the opposite of what you need. Its made for high output short term. You would be better off just buying a regular old group 27 or 29 deep cycle battery from Sams club etc for $100.00.
You are right. It is the wrong item for my desired application. Thank you for pointing that out. I definitely overlooked it. I don't belong to Sam's club. For a single person, is the price of membership worth the benefit when compared to just buying the same products at wally world with no membership fee?

Darth_Muerte said:
Actually I am coming to the opposite conclusion. I would do wind if I were building a homestead in a windy area. However, I am going to be mobile so it seems that the wind turbine idea is not practical. My concern with solar is that it seems very expensive for even a small output with the price dropping quickly as you scale up.

You are right. It is the wrong item for my desired application. Thank you for pointing that out. I definitely overlooked it. I don't belong to Sam's club. For a single person, is the price of membership worth the benefit when compared to just buying the same products at wally world with no membership fee?

No, its probably not worth your while. I'm not pushing Sams or anybody else, just throwing out some ideas. I make no claim to those being the best battery for you. Don't buy anything until you put a plan together. You may get by on very little actually.

You don't want to buy a turbine or a tiny solar panel and waste money and then still have to buy something that works. Everyone makes things work for them and their way isn't for everyone. You might start out with a deep cycle battery, cheapo inverter, volt meter and charge it from your vehicle as needed and get by for under $200.00 you wont be making toast or watching a big screen all night but it could do most of what you want.

Darth_Muerte said:

I would agree with up above also that if I was doing a tiny house or whatever I would consider solar and a turbine. I'm not saying for sure as I havent researched it and I would also guess that if I wanted a REAL turbine that is quiet, efficient and durable, it would be big bucks. It wouldn't be a GM alternator that we spoke of earlier with home made blades from my old camper siding. :)

My opinion of solar and wind are opposite of yours. I love solar and think EVERYONE should have (with a few exceptions like the PNW where it rains too much. 90% of vandwellers should have solar.

I think wind works but only for a very few people. 10% of vandwellers should have a wind gen.

My experience is 90% of the year solar meets ALL my needs and less than 10% of the year wind would meet me needs.

I can't speak for you, but my general advice is to buy solar, forget wind.
Bob

I have both solar and an airX wind generator.
Used them for the last 10 years..

I agree with Bob solar is your best bet..
My approach to the off grid way was to build a system slowly over time.

You can start with a used deep cycle battery ( check with folks that deal in golf carts for 6 volt batteries, check with parts stores for new batteries that have been in stock too long "usually longer than one year" or a core return) If you know what you are doing you can find a core that will last for quite awhile)

With the electrical load you are using a large system should not be needed..
I think a 100 to 140 watt solar panel will work.,

On thing I learned is to not skimp on the charge controller. I like to use MPPT controllers, they can boost the charging rate to 30% that is like adding another panel without the cost, also the boost helps during cloudy days.

On the wind charger.. they are great when the weather conditions are lousy ... But wind charging is very inconsistent compared to solar, the wind does not blow at the same rate... I consider wind power as a little extra during stormy or cold night conditions.

I ended up purchasing a manufactured wind charger after going through some of the home made versions..

I have tried the permanent magnet treadmill dc motor, the motor will produce the dc power, I had trouble getting a voltage regulator to work consistently, also the blades are hard to get right.
using the wind charger under water might work, but I worry about having it waterproof. Putting one underwater, is different than getting rained on, under water there is more water pressure

I know there are chargers that are pulled behind sailboats that charge their batteries, If you like to tinker (like I do) one could probably reverse engineer one

All of these project cost more money than just buying a kit someone else has worked out.

The best tool to get is a kill-o-watt meter to measure how much energy you are using and work from those numbers.

I gotta say that one nice thing about a wind generator, is that it works 24/7, as long as there's enough wind

Patrick46 said:
I gotta say that one nice thing about a wind generator, is that it works 24/7, as long as there's enough wind

That's like saying: Solar works 24/7, as long as there's enough sunlight...

Wind is seldom practical. Go to this site for a Residential wind map of the US. This is assuming a 30 meter, 90 foot mast, which none of us are going to have. At most we will have a 3-6 meter 10-20 foot mast. So it will work less well for us.

http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/windmaps/residential_scale.asp

Most small wind gens don't produce any power below 15 mph and some are even higher. Go look at the map. All the places in any shade of green will not work. Yellow will start producing power, but not much.

Where will it work? in the plains states. Why would you want to be in the planes state? Miserable hot in the summer, terrible cold in the winter, flat, and ugly.

I don't know about you, but I hate wind!! I avoid places with wind, not run to them!
Bob