Wind Resistance and Weight

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corky52

Reaction score
Which is more important wind resistance or weight in terms of gas mileage?

I know wind resistance goes up with speed, but I find little comparing weight changes to fuel mileage.

I'm looking at ways to add  living area, both internal and external, and the weight part of the equation has me baffled at this point.

I know wind resistance is non-linear compared to speed.

Corky 

corky52 said:
Which is more important wind resistance or weight in terms of gas mileage?

At lower speeds weight is more important at higher speeds wind resistance is more important. There a formula that says for every kilo or pound added you loose  this much of your mpg. I can't remember what it is but can be found at 'ecomodder.com'

weight is really only an issue when accelerating or pulling a grade. wind resistance is only an issue above 45mph. I don't have the numbers in front of me and it has a lot to do with the aerodynamics of your vehicle. but since most of us basically drive vehicles with the aerodynamics of a brick, the further you get above 45mph the worse your mph will be. above 70 mph is going to use about 1/4 to 1/3 more fuel. this is magnified if you are driving into a head wind. highdesertranger