Why?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USACelt

Reaction score
So what was the life event that made you decided to minimize your life not just the van life in general but to chose the path of minimalism?
I'm just wondering.
I know the things that have happened around Me and My life. That have inspired Me to chose this.
Any stories you will share?

I will share, although I'm afraid that others who have read my previous entries will be bored to tears hearing it again.

In July 2012 I lost my good-paying job, which resulted in losing my house. I came across Bob's book, and everything he said resonated with me, so I started to make plans to adopt this lifestyle. But, fear.... I chickened out, and moved to Oregon (January 2013) when my Mom moved there, found a rental house I could afford, and a new job that I a hated, and one year later (March 2014), the landlady decided I needed to move out so she could remodel and triple the rent. I found a piece of property (1.5 acres) to rent, with hookups and my Mom loaned me her motor home to live in on it. I kept working that job I hated, trying to save money and go to school, and ended up deeper in debt than before. We (the dog and I) survived some pretty severe winter weather even though we didn't always have water, and I was so looking forward to Spring and planting a garden.

On March 9, 2015, I received a call from my landlady telling me that the County had written them an unfriendly letter stating that their property could not be used for motor home dwelling, and that they would have to remove their septic hookup, and I had to be out in 30 days. I tried to find a place I could afford, that would also be good for my dog, and then I just got fed up with everyone else in the world deciding whether or not I would have a job, or a place to live, and decided to take control of my own life. My mom signed the motor home over to me, and on April 15th, I hit the road.

Interesting story there.
Well, Mine is one of the like.
I bankrupted a small corp. I owned and the wife of 20+ years left about the same time and I h.ave not been able to put it together since in a way.
I have a good girl now, with Me ,but many things in the current life just don't jive with the work world and the grind in general. So a minimal life is what I desire
now. Although I will not be in a van life style I will be tiny house living as soon as I sell off everything. :)

I am using this forum board for information as to living small, kinda a wealth of knowledge so to speak tips for being comfy are always welcome.
I now see vans and the like at Walmart and around and think to My self that person has a story!
While I understand in a urban environment Me just pulling up and asking that person to tell Me a good one is not easy I was hoping that the inter net fourm might
be the place to call for those stories

N4T, I love your story!  Tell it as many times as you like!  It's very inspiring!

I come at this life from an entirely different angle.

My first van was bought from my brother in 1978 and since that time I've lost track of how many vans of different makes an sizes I've owned. Back then it was a weekend warrior thing - I used it as a single mom to be able to take my kids camping without the bother of sleeping in tents etc. I also joined a succession of van clubs and saw more of the continent going to van events than I ever would have on my own.

When the kids grew up and left home I did too. I sold the house, moved into the van and took a dream occupation on the road in the US. I travelled the eastern seaboard for 14 years spending my winters where it was warm and my summers where it was warmer. One summer on Cape Cod, another in Ohio, most of them somewhere in the mid-west. 

I returned home to Ontario 8 years ago shortly after my Dad passed away because of family obligations. After a bit of a rough start here I settled in to a small apartment and literally fell into a decent job. My feet have always wanted to wander however.

Now that I'm past retirement age and don't have to work for a paycheck I want to be free to wander again. Legal requirements are the only restrictions that will be placed on my travels - I have to be present and accounted for 6 months of the year to qualify for some of my income and for my health insurance and the US doesn't want me there for more than 182 days a year so I'll spend my winters wandering the US and my summers somewhere in Ontario abiding by everyones' rules scratching my itchy feet... :D

I chose a van for all of this after months of cogitating on which vehicle(s) would best suit my needs. Enough space for me to live with and in, good maneuverability in parking lots and a reasonable gas mileage.  Oh and a price for all of it that would fit my budget and my sensibilities.

The van is partially done the way I want and I keep moving my 'moving in' date up because I can't wait!

And as to minimalism - all I can say is that I was in the wrong line when 'material accumulation' and 'shopping' genes were handed out. As long as I have enough and it works I've never been one to want more or better!

Thanks for the input.
The minimal thing is coming around for Me. That corp I bankrupted ( It failed from economic times and My lack from being a proactive problem solver and of course a GREEDY X) was a 3.5 Million $ a year thing :) while that was fun, and all the stuff that goes with having lots of bucks laying around looking for a place to be spent. Is not the life I want to pursue any more I have always been a simple person wanting simple things in life. Ya know like DIY or gardening, raising chickens. Just living life as one would like to do

I'm not vandwelling, I'm tiny condo-ing, that could change in a few years but for now it's good.

Never been a "stuff" person and like many here sort of awakened one day and wondered why I was doing a job I didn't care for so I could afford stuff I didn't really care about. Never had crazy-over-the-top sized house and toys, just more than I felt comfortable supporting. My SO was on board so we started downsizing, moved from our house to a smaller apartment, then bought our current 650 sqft condo in Florida. We spent several years taking care of all of our aging parents and paying off every scrap of debt while learning to live on very little... then we decided the time was right to do something for us. She got permission to telecommute from her job, I walked away from mine, and now we're living in Florida in our tiny paid-for condo with our one paid-for car and zero debt.

Life is certainly more relaxed when you live with less.

At one point, I had a lot of stuff. Then we moved to a small apt, got rid of a lot of stuff, but rented a big storage place for the rest of it, which we didn't touch for a year+. Built a house and filled it up with all that stuff and more stuff. Got divorced, moved to a small studio apt and let go of a lot of stuff, but still had too much. Married again, brought too much stuff with me, but managed not to add to it.

Looming foreclosure and bankruptcy had us thinking we would do the tiny house thing, so we drastically downsized our life and lifestyle, got rid of pretty much all stuff except for necessities. Then she left, we became me, and instead of thinking tiny house, I stumbled onto vandwelling. Which was impetus for even further pruning of stuff out of my life.

And I still have too much, still need to sort through about half a small storage unit, and do a final purge.

Feels great, freeing, to be relieved of responsibility for so much stuff I was not using and probably would never use.

It was always in the plan. I lived in a van, off and on, after my divorce and until my son was school-aged. Moved back to MA to live closer to my family while I raised him.

In 2005 The PO forced me to retire After fighting for my job and living off my savings for 5 years I ran away from home, to the desert where I was able to save enough money for a decent Class C (2012) Went full time, again.

Funny, I'm back in MA to help with my parents and I can't save a dime. did winter (again) for the very last time (I swear!!!) I'll be back on the road in August. I can not wait!!!

USACelt said:
So what was the life event that made you decided to minimize your life not just the van life in general but to chose the path of minimalism?

After my son died , at 18 (not a deciding factor) my LONG time girlfriend and I broke up,got together,broke up.....My main employer (contractor) started getting lazy and expecting me to pick-up the slack (for NO more compensation) , I came across Bob's web site. The idea of living with LESS and being more free just resonated with me. I "lurked" here and elsewhere for about two months, and decided I would really love to see if i can find my BLISS in a traveling lifestyle. So, the CT is finally on order. The solar has been bought. The build begins.

I never liked paying rent. To minimized the expense I had roommates, some good some not so good. The last place I rented in Toronto, Ontario was with 4 other people, including my then boyfriend John. Everyone in this house was saving money to do something big. John and I were planning a one year trip around the world. Which we did. Talk about minimalist. We lived out of our backpacks for a year. Towards the end of the trip the one thing that really got to me is retrieving my toothbrush out of the backpack every morning, other than that it was pretty easy to live with so little. When you carry everything on your back you learn to live without pretty fast.

Following the trip we lived in a school bus for 8 years. We followed the seasons, south in the winter and north in the summer. After 9 years of unconventional living arrangements we were ready for a house to call our own. We physically build our house. We didn't want to have to pay a mortgage. We've been in the house for 14 years now and I'm ashamed to say that we have way too much stuff (here's the shame part) I like it that way. We like to create and build stuff so we use a lot of what we have.

We were missing the freedom of the road but we like having a house so we decided to buy a van and travel part time.

That the "Why" and a little bit of the "How"

-Nicole

I find it interesting many lurk this site for inspiration and once did or what to live minimally, I am using the term minimal as a generic label that fits the out of society normal
as we are told over and over again.
Please keep the stories coming I am enjoying them.
I am not looking for some kinda justification for Myself or looking to be convinced that this is the right thing to do for Myself I already have decided that this is the life I am
going to follow.

mconlonx said:
At one point, I had a lot of stuff. Then we moved to a small apt, got rid of a lot of stuff, but rented a big storage place for the rest of it, which we didn't touch for a year+. Built a house and filled it up with all that stuff and more stuff. Got divorced, moved to a small studio apt and let go of a lot of stuff, but still had too much. Married again, brought too much stuff with me, but managed not to add to it.

Looming foreclosure and bankruptcy had us thinking we would do the tiny house thing, so we drastically downsized our life and lifestyle, got rid of pretty much all stuff except for necessities. Then she left, we became me, and instead of thinking tiny house, I stumbled onto vandwelling. Which was impetus for even further pruning of stuff out of my life.

And I still have too much, still need to sort through about half a small storage unit, and do a final purge.

Feels great, freeing, to be relieved of responsibility for so much stuff I was not using and probably would never use.

I read that with George Carlin's voice in my head!!! :rolleyes:

Everytime I see this title~~~

I had to decompress from life.  It alienated me from a couple "good friends" but I still think my 9 months on the road was worth it.  

In hindsight, I should have put more things in storage as now I need them to take care of my handicapped daughter.  I have started a new job that will allow me this lifestyle.  My needs are much less, and my wants are much clearer.  I can have this lifestyle and a base as well. 

I do miss having a rousing debate on the message boards.   :cool:

GotSmart said:
I do miss having a rousing debate on the message boards.  

Really?  Cause to my mind, "rousing debate" = "arguing with idiots too stupid to understand that I'm right and they're wrong!"  :angel:

So I try to avoid rousing debates at all costs. :D

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Really?  Cause to my mind, "rousing debate" = "arguing with idiots too stupid to understand that I'm right and they're wrong!"  :angel:

So I try to avoid rousing debates at all costs. :D

Regards
John

I chose my opposition and subject carefully.  Being "right" is usually subjective.  I do have family and friends who can give and take on subjects.  We usually agree to disagree.  

But then I have had training by the person who has national Speech and Debate competitions named for him.  ;) A battle of wits with the unarmed is no fun.  :p

My best friend of 38 years decided to go to France to live and he gave me his van. I thought to my self..."I can live in this!". That was almost three years ago. I have found peace and contentment!

Back in school days when I studied Industrial Design I read a book by Victor Papanek titled
"Design for the Real World".   It was the beginning of a life changer for me.

He advanced the idea of our possessions, which we think we own, turning around to own us.

One of his quotes regarding this addressed the advertising industry:

“Advertising design, in persuading people to buy things they don`t need, with money they don`t have, in order to impress others who don`t care, is probably the phoniest field in existence today.”

It's online in .pdf if anyone wants to read it.  Published in the early 70's. Papanek died in 1998.  If you look for this book in a Library, if you can even find it now, it's generally cataloged under sociology & anthropology.

big_374915_7212_DO120210023.jpg