Why the heck is it so hot in my van?!?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderLoveJosh

Reaction score
I'm in Austin, and the sun started going down.. And for the life of me I couldn't figure out why the heck it was so hot in my van. Once the sun was gone and I was still sweating I figured welp here's global warming, time to die.

Then I just happen to look at my bottom sliding Windows, I have a 2000 e150 conversion van. And suddenly I realize.. THEY ARENT OPEN. Lol

Anyone else ever done any bonehead moves like this??

If you have a rear heater check the coolant hoses that run to the rear of van , is there heat coming from them?
I block off my hoses with a valve during warm weather

Lol I was just stupid and didn't have my windows open to circulate air.. As soon as I opened them it cooled down.. The entire time I thought they were open.. Lol

No , I'm sure none of us ever do anything like that !

WanderLoveJosh said:
...didn't have my windows open to circulate air...

Also, everything in your van warms to the ambient temperature during the day. It takes a while for it to lose heat. The opposite is also true. Cool contents take a while to warm up. It's called "thermal mass." It can be used to your benefit. For example, during cold weather, you let as much sun in the windows as you can. The contents of the van warm up then hold that heat a while after the sun goes down. Or you block the windows on hot days to allow the contents to hold their lower nighttime temperature longer.

I once walked into a sliding glass door that I thought was open.
I actually hit it so hard I bounced off it and landed on my butt.

I've also smacked my hands trying to reach through the car window when I thought it was open but it wasn't.

Lol ive almost ran into glass doors walking into stores who's motion sensor didn't go off quick enough, then I stand there like I'm having to use my powers inconviently lol

I've gotten out of bed groggy and run into the bathroom door on the way to pee, and no, it wasn't glass, I got no excuse

Anyone who says they haven't done something like that is a liar. L. I. A. R.