Cool summy shade for your van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmickGold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I returned from a neighbor to my van this afternoon, surprised how hot it had gotten outside, in the 90's even, with clear skies and no breeze, just the sun beating down. So as I walked, I worried my food would be damaged from heat, but when I got to my van and stepped inside, it wasn't too hot at all inside; just a little warm.

Then I realized the reason the sun had not cooked things is because I have four large solar panels on top, raised about three inches above the top of the van. I mounted them raised that far, knowing that cooler air circulating under each panel keeps them cooler, thus allowing them to make more electricity. But I just realized a second advantage: The panels create a "car port" over my van, protecting it from the sun's heat!

I'm telling you all about this because it might help someone who otherwise would have glued their solar panels down to the top of their van, and then wondered why it gets so hot inside on sunny days. Well, now you know the answer; and like me, you can have it "made in the shade", literally!

I have actually considered boxing in the area under the panels and use a couple of vent fans to circulate the warm air from under the panels outside in summer and inside in winter on sunny days, after all it is warmed air and does need to be dealt with.

About 1/2 of my roof is covered with solar panels attached to a roof rack that sits about 3" above the roof. I've thought of covering the rest of the rack. Have enough solar for my needs, but perhaps a storage container and/or small deck could cover the rest. Have to work around a couple of vent fans. It does seem to have the benefit of serving as a shade structure for the vehicle.

I returned from a neighbor to my van this afternoon, surprised how hot it had gotten outside, in the 90's even, with clear skies and no breeze, just the sun beating down. So as I walked, I worried my food would be damaged from heat, but when I got to my van and stepped inside, it wasn't too hot at all inside; just a little warm.

Then I realized the reason the sun had not cooked things is because I have four large solar panels on top, raised about three inches above the top of the van. I mounted them raised that far, knowing that cooler air circulating under each panel keeps them cooler, thus allowing them to make more electricity. But I just realized a second advantage: The panels create a "car port" over my van, protecting it from the sun's heat!

I'm telling you all about this because it might help someone who otherwise would have glued their solar panels down to the top of their van, and then wondered why it gets so hot inside on sunny days. Well, now you know the answer; and like me, you can have it "made in the shade", literally!
Very good idea! Also, folks should know that most solar panels have a diode somewhere, and if you mount your panels permanently, you will have a heck of a time replacing that diode. I had to replace the diode in one of my 100 watt Renogy panels when it was about 3 years old. When it fails, your output drops way down.