Why do I keep spending??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stay away from that Sprinter with the Mercedes look at the Dodge hightop with the Fiat diesel you will not regret that decision...

In the past, I never admitted either to myself or my friends that I have a spending habit or addiction, or whatever one might call it. It just seemed normal to me. I would rationalize it by saying that pretty much everyone else I know is doing the same thing, or worse. All guys buy gadgets and constantly upgrade to the newer, faster, larger model, right? That was pretty much my thinking. Heck, I don't think my collection of stuff is any worse than a woman with a huge collection of fancy shoes and purses. I know women who buy shoes that cost easily $400 each pair, plus purses that go for over $1500. Plus they need a different color and style of shoes plus purse to match whatever clothing and occasion calls for. But as I get older, I'm now questioning my spending habits, whereas I didn't used to. Sometimes it takes me awhile for a new concept to sink into my brain...I guess I'm slow sometimes! As in any addiction problem, I've been told the first step is to admit and acknowledge it as a prerequisite to improving. Yes, I admit it. I acknowledge it's a problem. That's a step in the right direction.

it's off to Rehab with you!!!!!........and again...Gim'me that watch! you wont be needing it there with that white jacket attire , you wont be able to see it!!

Yes, it's off to Celebrity Rehab for me...minus the celebrity, since I'm a commoner! :p

Which watch do you prefer, the Atomic or non? :cool:

I think I'll need the atomic watch to accurately tell time in my white padded room without a view. :D

My best friend is what I call an "accumulater", for example, owning 17 or 18 guitars. I'm talking Martins, Taylors, Gibsons. He also collected fine pens such as the Montblanc "Catherine the Great."

About 4 years ago, he moved back to California from upstate New York, driving out here in a truck(former Uhaul) that he bought pulling a rental trailer.

You know what happened. You can guess. The truck was stolen within 2 weeks in socal and all contents were lost and were uninsured. Around $85,000 worth.

There is a life lesson here that my friend still has not recovered from.

Wow, that sucks big time.

By the way, I hardly spend much anymore since I cut up my credit card couple months ago. Patting myself on the back!

caseyc said:
Wow, that sucks big time.

By the way, I hardly spend much anymore since I cut up my credit card couple months ago. Patting myself on the back!

How will you ever get on an airplane or order online? They always want a cc dont they?

Donedirtcheap said:
How will you ever get on an airplane or order online? They always want a cc dont they?

I have zero credit cards. The world will punish you for going astray. Deposits for hotels and rentals are about the only problem. I see it as extortion.

But some people just love money. They do what they need to do.

No need to cut them just don,t use em. Come in handy for emergencies.
I am sorry for your friend, thieves are the scum.

I cut up the one credit card that I was using exclusively cuz it has a low fixed APR interest rate of 6.50%. It's nearly impossible to have a fixed APR of 6.5% for any credit card whatsoever! Don't ask me how, I have my ways, haha! It was too tempting to have any credit card(s) in my wallet as I'm more inclined to do impulse purchases. I literally don't carry around any credit cards in my wallet nowadays, so I don't make make senseless impulse buying anymore, such as another wrist watch, haha! I have other credit cards that I don't use at all, just have them locked up. Bottom line, I don't spend much anymore on "things". Going out to eat is another issue, I spend too much on eating. But I'm even cutting back on eating out too, so I'm positively making improvements.

Good for you, myself been lucky to cash and carry. My mother payed off her card every month I dare not tell her I HAD revolving credit, which I did at the time paying the minimum.

I'm one of the weak people who can't have a credit card without abusing it.

Fortunately, a debit card works for everything I want to do every bit as well. And I can't go into debt with it.
Bob

I use my amazon card as much as I can, since I get 1,2, or 3% back. People who pay with cash are paying extra. Even when a gas station has diesel for 5 cents cheaper when you pay with cash, it's still cheaper for me to use my credit card.