Why cargo trailers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ped

Reaction score
Why not pop-ups? Less stealth and&nbsp;less thermal&nbsp;but more MPG, already equiped with everything, can be found cheap used&nbsp;and still has some storage capacity.<br><br>Just curious.<br>

<P>Some of them have motorcycle/utility storage too. But then again those aren't the cheap ones. But if you have a pickup or utility van you can load in there couldn't you? Or does security and space then pose a challenge?</P>

I'd guess that it's the ability to lay them out exactly as you want them. With such limited space, I want something that has exactly what I want and no more. There are several things "standard" in campers that I don't like, such as the fixed table and booth seating. Much simpler, and less weight and space,&nbsp;to carry along a couple of camp/folding chairs and&nbsp;folding tables (which I already have) that can be used anywhere I need them.<br><br>I haven't built one myself yet, but several people on here have, I think, and seem very happy with the results.<br>

Since those are folding tables and chairs what about taking the dinette out of the camper and putting in the back of a van to use when not setup in between stops. Then use the folding chairs and table in the camper how ever you want like you would do otherwise with a cargo trailer? The camper is old a used (in my example) so modifying it wouldn't be that big of a deal. <BR><BR>Another thing as well a popup is usually 7.5' wide versus 5' or 5.5' of a cargo trailer. So with a standard 10' length you have at or near 50% more space.&nbsp;In addition&nbsp;you don't have to use the floor space for a bed&nbsp;which could give&nbsp;you roughly double the floor space in use. (not to mention the other pull-out with the pop-up). And the beds will be larger in general.<BR><BR>So you get an older used&nbsp;trailer&nbsp;at&nbsp;anywhere from 50-100% of the&nbsp;price, saves 1-3 mpg or so, already has&nbsp;waste water holding tanks, shower (usually an outside shower but one none the less), water heater, propane system, range, sink, awning, elctrical system, fresh water tanks, leveling&nbsp;jacks, approx. double the floor space for a given length, low&nbsp;roof can be used for haul space and it's easier to tow overall.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

I live in a converted cargo trailer, and for me the choice was easy for these reasons:<br><br><ol><li>Easy to insulate. To me this is critical, being too cold or too hot is miserable and I am not a fan of misery. Poptops are good in the heat, but terrible in the cold, there are very few places in the country where you don't have both. Most places have both.</li><li>Aluminum siding will last forever. The fabric on a poptop is going to wear out, mold or meldew eventually.&nbsp; No way to avoid it. The suns UV do almost nothing to aluminum, but quickly destroy fabric even if its treated. Beyond that, popups aren't designed for fulltime use and are going to have many more failures than a cargo trailer. There is virtually nothing to fail on my trailer.</li><li>Cargo trailer is a blank slate I make exactly the way I want it. This reason alone is enough for me.</li><li>Cargo trailers are safe from critters, four and two legged, poptops much less so. </li><li>Convienance of always being set up and ready to go. Getting in a poptop when it is down is difficult and must always be put up and down to travel.</li></ol><br>

I've seen cargo trailers that are wider than 5 1/2 feet. As akrvbob says, security is a bigger issue with popups. Since (other than custom-building a bed) most of what I use will be things I already have, attached only semi-permanently, it's simpler for me to convert a trailer than try to strip out and fix up an old camper. I'd avoid potentially taking on major problems with the older camper, and I'd have much more flexibility to rearrange space as necessary if something doesn't work out in practice. Most of the time, popups are extremely limited on additional weight. I don't plan to carry a lot, but I don't want to be limited to a suitcase or two of clothes, a little bedding, and a couple of days worth of food and water either.<br><br>But what really matters is what you yourself need and want, which may be completely different from what someone else wants or needs. One size does not fit all. Someone who puts in a lot of miles willl have very different priorities from someone who stays put in one place for long periods. <br><br>If we all wanted exactly the same thing, we'd all live in 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath homes with a spouse and 2 1/2 children in towns of exactly identical sizes. Thank goodness for choice, lol. The idea of designing and creating my own living space exactly the way I want it is exciting to me, including the exterior.<br>

<P>Well I have my van for cold weather nights, security&nbsp;and extra storage. That's why I was thinking that route. I forgot some of you have trucks and whatnot instead. I thought the popup would make a nice little shelter for extended stays. I'm seeing them for sale right now for $500-1,000 regularly. Like a half utility trailer that&nbsp;bonuses as a camper.</P>

Latest posts