Who's afraid of driving old vehicles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More afraid of buying newer, having "some" mechanical skills older vehicles are easier to deal with/understand. When asked by a person looking for a car/truck the first question I ask is what do know about internal combustion when they answer "not much" I recommend a new car with a great warranty.

I'm not afraid of driving old vehicles, but it depends on the definition of "old."
I drive a 2001 Ford E150.
It has 95K miles on it right now, the low mileage and knowing it's history (it was in the family before I got it) is why I have confidence in it.

While it's going on 19 years old, mechanically it's in incredible shape and still "new."
I replaced every front end bushing with urethane parts and the ball joints which eliminates much of the sway and wander with the Ford front ends.
It was never driven in winter salted road conditions and the only body rust was cosmetic surface rust at the roof gutters from leaf debris collecting there, which has been repaired.

I built my van to use until about 2024-2025 so I wanted a starting point that won't cost me in repairs down the road.
Parts are plentiful and cheap for these.

If I was looking for shorter-term vehicle and wasn't going to invest in building out the interior, I might go a few years older and more miles on the odometer. But when you are far from home or your van IS home, how much do you want to risk?

Soft parts like belts, hoses, suspension bushings and tires all dry-rot or wear and need to be replaced.
Corrosion, especially if an engine has sat and/or coolant not flushed, kills water pumps, freeze plugs and thermostat housings.
Do you want to do some urban/stealth camping and not get hassled? A 30 year old rig stands out much more, especially if not cosmetically maintained.
How handy are you? Can you do repairs yourself? Will a local auto parts store have parts?
What is your vehicle acquisition philosophy? Buy cheap and have a repair/upgrade stash? Buy in better shape and have some piece of mind but no reserve cash?
Are you willing to keep it running if it costs $500 to repair when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere? What if it costs $1000? Or will you walk away?
There are lots of factors to consider.

Starting my van life with a new-to-me old ‘94 Plymouth Grand Voyager. Having a blast doing all the necessary repairs & maintenance as well as building it out as a comfortable home!

I'd add this to the discussion.

1)  The advantage of purchasing a 96 or later is being able to use an OBD-ll  tool when the check engine light comes on.
It plugs into a special plug under the dash.   Often if you can get to an Auto Zone or some place like that one of the counter help may use one of the stores tools for you to trouble shoot the problem.  They do this hoping to sell you a replacement part if it is something simple. 

2)  I'm on the road a lot and notice a lot of vehicles where a ball joint or tie rod end failed.  Get these checked out and replaced if in doubt. Also check your Universal Joints in the drive shaft.  If this stuff fails you will have to be towed to a repair facility and if you and dogs are living in the Van you won't be able to live in it while it is at the Garage.  You'll have to find a motel that will kennel dogs.   

3) If the paint is worrying you,  you could spend a little money and paint it yourself.  You would need some 320 and 400 grade sanding paper available at car parts places for cheap.   A step ladder.  A plastic bucket for water.  Masking tape and old news papers.   The paint can be had at a Walmart for about .98 cent a spray can.  I would suggest the white paint as it is bright white like a refrigerator and would reflect heat rather well.  

The bucket is filled with tepid water and you can sand on one part of the vehicle at a time.  Sand paper is dipped in water and what is called "wet sanding" is what you will do.  I've seen people do this at car washes in the not so busy part of the day.  Start with the 320 and end with the 400.  Let it dry well before painting.  Use the masking tape and paper to mask off windows,  door handles etc.   For less than $60 bucks you could probably have a half decent white Van.  If you can borrow a step ladder you should be able to do the job at your leisure over a few days time.

After it is all painted,  you could wait a few months and see if it needs any more paint to fully cover it.  If it's OK,  then wax it.  A white Van like this will have a Stealthy quality about it and perhaps look like an old delivery truck or maintenance contractor's Truck.  

A clean looking well kept vehicle will attract far less attention from Law Enforcement Officers.   If you can find a bumper sticker from an Airport, Yacht Marina, Horse Farm & Stable, Kennel,  Country Club or Golf Course to put on the rear bumper......your Van could then look like you are affiliated with a prosperous financial concern.  You may have influence with people in politics who if a cop messes with you it may come back to haunt the cop later.  See ?  Such bumper stickers can plant the seed in a cops mind that you aren't a vagrant......but a person of means instead.  But if you do this when you travel......try to be clean and look the part.  You won't want your Van looking like a rolling rat's nest with junk spread all over the dash.

4) Check your Radiator & Heater hoses, and engines Belts and replace them with quality parts.  It will be a lot cheaper to do this at home with a mechanic you know and is affordable before you travel and possibly break down. 

5) Replace your wiper blades and consider a $5 dollar bottle of Rain-X.  There is a type you can add to the washer reservoir and mix with the blue washer fluid.   If you choose to use the wipe on Rain-X, you could do all of you windows
and rain on them will shed much easier.  Rain-X makes a product called Fog-X which you apply to the inside of the windows and inhibits them from fogging up.

Remember, the care you take of it will be the care it takes of you once on the road.

And always remember,  LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers)  have a duty report to turn in at the end of their shift.  It is a report of everything they stopped and investigated,  any building they drove by to check etc etc.  It shows that they were working for their pay and assures job security.  Quite often a lot of it is cat and mouse.  Don't wind up being their mouse.  This is why it is better to do your traveling earlier in the morning after 8am and try to set up somewhere before
3pm for the night.  Cops I know and grew up with have told me that after 9pm they are dealing with the worst 3% of the public.  This is part of the reason that they put the young cops right out of the academy on night shift to start out
and get experience with all that training.  (and then fill out their duty report)   :dodgy: :dodgy:

I just bought a 2002 Ford Ambulance (Blanche) with 175,000. it has new everything - tires, batteries, alternators (don't know why, but there are 2?), belts and hoses.
Not used to the diesel sound yet, but it runs perfectly.
I used to have 1983 Winnie Brave, and it was a POS. make sure to get an RV guy inspection before you hit the road.
Good luck!

I drove a converted '56 Grumman for a number of years and still regret selling it. I now live in an '85 Grumman steppie running on propane. I prefer the old(er) vehicles 'cause parts are cheap, abundant, and they're easy to work on. ..Willy.

Thank you to everyone that commented,I'm not sure how to end this post on "who's afraid of driving old vehicles "..I learned a lot already and really appreciate the advice and helpful suggestions..The van is running excellent and the more trips I make in it the more comfortable I feel about driving it.I havent taken it out of California yet but plan on traveling to Oregon,Washington, Nevada than Arizona. The person that explained how to paint it along with so much more excellent suggestions, I thank you,along with so many others..I plan on doing the painting myself now this summer.

Hi and congrats. I just bought an 1984 with unknown miles, well over 100K. And selling a very excellent mini van with better gas mileage. I'm partial to higher mileage, older vehicles because I think that most of what will go wrong with them has already done so by then. But, I also am mechanically minded so fixing is not something that wouldH be an issues. Last week, I looked at a 2013 Ford E-350 that had 431,000 miles but that was freak of nature and meticulously kept. Keep up on oil changes and don't drive it hard. New vehicle breakdown also, I would trust a sound older vehicle before a new one.

I have to agree with you on the fact that most of the parts have already been replaced on some of these older models, I shouldn't have to worry about a new radiator, water pump,hoses and not remembering what else has been replaced ,after the tune-up I seem to have even more power. I drive as slow as I can get away with and always pulling off to the side to let others pass..I definitely want to baby this ole baby

the problem with "most of the parts being replaced" is the poor quality of the vast majority of parts now-a-days.

this is especially bad when you had an inexperienced mechanic just throwing parts on a vehicle instead of doing proper trouble shooting and only replacing the bad part. what ends up happing then is parts that aren't bad end up being replaced with parts of inferior quality.

this is really a sad situation the average person doesn't even know this. they don't even how or what to look for when replacing parts.

case in point, if you go to a parts store and order a radiator for your vehicle what you are going to get is a Chinese piece of junk. much better to go to an old time radiator shop and have them recore your radiator or build you a new one. same applies to heater cores. doing it this way is at least twice as expensive. but you know the old saying buy quality and cry once, buy cheap and cry often.

highdesertranger

I just bought a 2002 Sienna with 109,000 miles on it. I did my research, and those minivans can run a good, long time. I made sure I knew the maintenance history, and the owner took good care of it. I'm going to be driving it solo on some fairly long trips, and I feel pretty confident about it.

:DChileGirl said:
I just bought a 2002 Sienna with 109,000 miles on it.

ChileGirl,  good choice.  I have a 2000 Sienna with over 283000 miles. I’m original owner and it has original engine and tranny.  They are known for leaking oil around valve covers.  I replaced cover gaskets 100k ago and still have clean engine  I now have savana so sienna is getting neglected.  2012 savana is going to do better  :D

I agree with HDR about poor quality parts. I have a leaking power steering pump in a 1990 Dodge B250. The only replacements I have found are remanufactured pumps that are mostly crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gapper2 said:
ChileGirl,  good choice.  I have a 2000 Sienna with over 283000 miles. I’m original owner and it has original engine and tranny.  They are known for leaking oil around valve covers.  I replaced cover gaskets 100k ago and still have clean engine  I now have savana so sienna is getting neglected.  2012 savana is going to do better  :D

I agree with you! I think they're great vehicles. I've been shopping for one, and I saw so many with 250K+ miles on them. They can go forever. Good to now about the valve covers. We're going to have a mechanic check it out to make sure nothing like that needs fixing, but it does have a new timing belt, which is good.

Latest posts