Who's afraid of driving old vehicles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want new, vehicles are like washer & drywes with buil it planned obsolesense built it & computer no one will support. The ambo drives so easy, smooth ride, comfortable for my broken back, sits up tall, I couldn't be happier. Find an older, well maintained low milage vehicle, have it checked out & when you buy have it gone thru & any fluids, belts, hoses, tires, etc any wear items that will need replaced do it now before you hit the road. Good luck!

you will adjust for sure :)
get out and drive it and before ya know it, it will be like a second skin on ya LOL

I gotta 1984 Chevy G20...with a beast of a V8 engine....it doesn't look too pretty right now with some paint chips and rust but who cares about that...eventually I'll paint it....

Mine happenes to have a rebuilt engine with only 35,000...I put 3,000 of those on it since I bought it in December....

With regular maintenence you shouldnt have problems. Them 90's Dodges are good rigs..

Hnestly I'd rather have an older rig where I canwork on the engine fairly easily. I can see all the hoses and connections, all the different components and there is only one small computer which I'm assuming is for anti-lock brakes. Basically, the older the rig, the easier it is to work on and fix and do all your own fluid changes ect.

Good luck on your travels!

Common sense is often mistaken for fear.

JohnnyPayne said:
Them 90's Dodges are good rigs..
Till they are worn out @ 210,000 miles.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=35258
^^^They are very much the same platform as the one in the thread linked above.^^^

You may want to review Kaylees situation or contact her should you require first hand experience.
I kept waiting for others to "affirm" your very realistic, warranted and healthy fear of your van letting you down.
Unless you have around $4,000 ready to drop in a major repair, being afraid of using that van is VERY healthy self preservation.

I would like to point out that when I take an old vehicle that I want to drive long term I rebuild the whole vehicle front to back top to bottom. that is why I like GM's so much you just can't beat them for high quality after market parts, there are very few parts that are not available for my truck. it also helps that I buy and sell old GM truck parts. highdesertranger

hugemoth said:
Wouldn't mind driving a new rig but $$$$. Just got back to Oregon from winter in AZ, 2500 mile round trip in my 93 Toyota Pickup/camper. 300,000 miles and counting. Did break down once this trip... had a flat tire a few days ago.

this sounds great! i saw a nice Toyota camper for a good price the other day
but it had been rear-ended and pretty messed up...i'll keep looking :)
jim

The Toyota part maybe depending if it is a timing belt or chain and which rear axle, the camper part not so much if it is wood framed, the rear corner tended to leak damaging the floor which supports the wall in many.

it was the camper bashed in. i'm not too handy on cosmetic things but it was also in California...

I don't want I don't want to hijack the thread, but it would almost be nice if somebody started a new thread on, " Tricks of the trade for making due with an old vehicle."

I drive a 2004 Chevy Silverado.  It has right at 149,000 miles on it and I'm not afraid to drive it anywhere.  However, I am aware that something could breakhat will cost money so over maintain the things I can and have an emergency fund available.  I also try to be aware of what the trucks limitations are such as how big of a trailer I can safely pull.  Don't overwork your vehicle and spend a little money on it once in a while.

People with little or no mechanical skills or knowledge and limited funds should be very afraid of taking on older vehicles or other peoples projects as it will become expensive very quickly. Find a gently used totally stock vehicle with maintenance records that has been checked out completely by a trusted mechanic and having a reserve fund, not so much.

I gotta agree with JD Gumbee and bullfrog. I think your fear of the van breaking down is rational and safe. Does that mean you should just scrap vandwelling altogether? No! But it does mean that it would be prudent indeed to keep a couple grand tucked away to cover the repairs when something goes awry. Like you, I'm not mechanically-inclined. It would make things much easier, but alas, the next best thing is to keep a repair fund stashed.

bullfrog said:
People with little or no mechanical skills or knowledge and limited funds should be very afraid of taking on older vehicles or other peoples projects as it will become expensive very quickly.  Find a gently used totally stock vehicle with maintenance records that has been checked out completely by a trusted mechanic and having a reserve fund, not so much.

i certainly agree with this. this is why i keep dwelling on the van/rv versus trailer question.
seems like it may be a lot easier to just get another vehicle to pull the trailer when the motor
goes out on the van or rv...

Definitely keep some money tucked away. I had a B250 in the 90's. It was in and out of the shop; after a rear end replacement my mechanic advised me to look elsewhere. I sold it to a friend and it did run well for several more years.

Some of them are more reliable than newer cars and cheaper to fix if something goes wrong.

I think older vehicles are worth the effort if, they have lived in an area where they have not been exposed to salt, not only does salt rust out the body and chassis but also it makes it hard to work on. Everything else is replaceable or repairable if you have a good body and all the bolts are not rusted out they are worth repairing. Stuff does not wear out the same when you are in a dry, snow and salt free climate. Low mileage is also important to me.

Lilac said:
Hi folks,I guess I'm seeking some kind of reassurance. I bought a dodge ram B250 van..25 years old(1994) with 217,000 miles. [CUT] How far would any of you travel in a vehicle with so many miles? I cant imagine breaking down with animals..

I bought Winnie (1990 Ford E-150 Winnebago conversion van, 302 ci, V8, FI) for $750 with 119K miles. I draw the line on any vehicle at 250K miles. I may still drive it, but expectation of performance goes way down while the possibility of engine or transmission failure goes way up. It's possible that the actual mileage is 219K miles, because the odometer reads to 99,999 before rolling over. Some of the instrumentation goes back to 1978, such as the frame around 55 on the speed odometer. Currently, it is a challenge to go faster than 65 mph, because of vibrations and a "boaty" front end.

I am testing distances and driving conditions (about 100 miles) and getting accustomed to the experience. I'm staying inside the 100 mile towing range back to my house, so yeah, I'm afraid of driving old vehicles.

Repairs typically start with soaking bolts in PB Blaster and coming back the next day to start work. Winnie is scary rusted. I didn't look underneath when I should have. I'm uncertain about the condition of the frame until I have a closer look. I don't want to have to go that far into repairs by replacing the frame. I gutted the interior to get to the metal. The interior was badly faded, grimy, and worn. I saved all of the panels for templates when she is ready for a new interior... assuming I don't find frame rust that compromises safety.

I found another van that almost fits what I should have bought from the start, a 1996 Ford E-350 4x4 with raised suspension, 80K miles, $4200.

I want to go greater distances, but not until Winnie is checked out from front to back. Until then, a pat on the dash for bringing me home will have to be enough. :)

I always recommend against buying a vehicle that's been converted to be a 4x4. highdesertranger