Who would be best to cut a cab access door?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technomad

Reaction score
Planning to build on a RAM 4500 chassis with a Morgan box. Cutting they the back of the cab and the wall of the box seems writhing my skill level, but the window is pretty big on these things and would have to support that part of the cab.

Thinking a truck custom shop might be worth hiring to do it more professionally.

Any recommendations of how I would best find such a shop?

Most truck mod places are doing bolt on stuff and repair, and this isn’t a full custom deal.

Thoughts?

If I did it myself I would build a back panel for the cab, that covered the window area except for the door and bolt that onto the remaining cab sheet metal.... and get an accordion seal for the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody have an opinion? I can't be the only one having to do this. Or maybe I'm just being a wimp and y'all get out the sawzall and don't think twice about it!

The appropriate responder probably hasn't seen this thread, although youtube may be of some help with cutting & sealing the pass-thru, at the very least giving you some ideas. I am aware that truck cap brands have an optional rubber boot that's placed between the truck cab and truck cap which may be of some help as well.

Me, I'd pay a pro.

Afraid of cutting too much, weakening the structural integrity.

Best of course to buy a cutaway model in the first place.

Oh I would buy a cutaway model if they made the truck I want in that version. Unfortunately the cutaway market for vehicles in this class are all ancient designs that haven’t been updated in two decades.

I wish they made a heavier duty sprinter or dodge promaster.

I’m up for hiring a pro if I can find one who will put the attention into it that it deserves— eg is really a pro at this kind of work rather than a guy who has to wing it and whose boss never gives him enough time to do it right.

Anyway I never need mechanics so not so familiar with the industry. Figure a body shop wouldn’t be appropriate and certainly not an engine repair place. Are custom shops the right approach?

eg you’re telling me to hire a pro, but the point if this thread is asking how to find a pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutting and welding is not a rare skillset.

Smaller shop, maybe a one-man show or the right guy with the gear at home, I know farmers and heavy-equipment guys with mad skills.

For actual businesses, that is bodywork not mechanical.

Guys that do custom cars, restoration work.

Craig's plus old fashioned asking around should get you a fair list to interview.

Check references, ideally can see examples of their work.

Technomad said:
Nobody have an opinion?  I can't be the only one having to do this.  Or maybe I'm just being a wimp and y'all get out the sawzall and don't think twice about it!

I'd google for "commercial vehicle outfitter" in your area. I'd bet one of them would have the skills to do that job well.

Any competent body shop should be able to do it unless the Morgan body is aluminum, then the skill set will be a little harder to find.  I would try to find one that has bodymen that are into custom cars, street rods and/or restorations.

Further evaluation of the vehicle, namely the RAM 5500, finds that there is a transmission/driveshaft hump in the middle. (not sure if this is a model specific thing or just was covered up by other stuff in the previous ones.)

This makes getting out of the drivers seat and into the back problematic for me, so I may forgo the cab access, and just exit the vehicle to reach the living quarters.

Hopefully this isn't a problem for registering it as an RV.... sigh...

the makers of 4x4 motor homes do it all the time. Provan and Earthroamer are two of the better known ones. ask them. highdesertranger

A Sonic Cutter

I cut the door in the back of my trailer, the generator door hole, and new water heater hole with one, and have cut many many other things.

ryobi-oscillating-tools-p340-64_1000.jpg

For a Pro, maybe these guys?  Cliffs Welding in Mesa, AZ
I used them to make a custom exhaust for my Honda RV generator install. They initially screwed it up and didn't follow the diagram I gave them. The counter guy never gave the fabricator the drawing. They happily redid it when this came to light. It took an extra week, but I was happy with the results.

Yeah. Vibrato-tool. Call it what you want. Nobody wanted to carry the original, then HF started selling tons of them and now they all have them. I have the HF tool and the Ryobi cordless in the photo. Love 'em.

Hey that's great, I didn't realize those oscillating tools were good for sheet metal. I have one that works with my system, though may need to get a dedicated tool for this kind of a job (or just go slow and use a lot of blades. Have to do the math on blade costs vs dedicated tool.)