Who would a landowner contact about hosting caravans?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about inviting campers to our land at one time,but decided against it.For one reason,we are only home about half the year.For another,I was leery of the kind of people who might show up.

1shemp said:
I was leery of the kind of people who might show up.

I agree.
Imagine if one of the mods here showed up at your place?? (SHIVER)
Bring the freaking land value down to zilch the SECOND their tires make tracks on your land.

For some strange reason, I smile as I proofread that.
(Its the simple pleasures that bring the most joy into ones heart.) :) :) :)
LOL

Shoot I enjoy having guests come through. I get mostly my winter camping buddies that are traveling. I’m gone all winter but the house isn’t empty ever and my niece and her hubby certainly wouldn’t want folks coming thru when I’m gone.

It’s fun to be able to see my YARC friends a bit in the summer too

Of course if it is not a large group and the noise is not at a level it would bother the neighbors then they are simply your guest for a few days.

When you start charging a fee the whole thing turns the corner into a business and that makes it fall under all kinds of restrictions and regulations including the fire marshal, health department and the EPA. So don't go there and do that fee thing.It may have to be free but you can set up a donation station and even suggested the appropriate amount. If that sign is posted by a participant rather than the owner of the property well that is even better yet. Nothing wrong with giving a gift of cash in appreciation to one's host.

Charge for what? They are boondocking. I wouldn’t dream of it. They are guests!!! It doesn’t cost me anything

FrozenTundra, 
 Just wondering. Are you open to allowing lone travelers stay on your land or only caravans? The reason I ask is I would like to start a website similar to Boondockers Welcome for people who don't have a self contained rv. This is a requirement for both Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome.

1shemp said:
I thought about inviting campers to our land at one time,but decided against it.For one reason,we are only home about half the year.For another,I was leery of the kind of people who might show up.

It doesn't have to be all year. People on Boondockers Welcome just list the dates that are available. Many only have room for one or two visitors at one time.
  I understand why you might be leery. I see undesirables in Walmart lots all the time. I'm sure there are ways around that. Vetting, invitation, post count or just the types of posts.
  You probably dont want people just showing up unannounced anyway.

Seeing a lawyer first is good advice.

Just a few of the landmines I can think of:
  - How many guests can I accommodate legally?
  - How many guests before I need to provide services (toilet, trash, etc.)?
  - Can I charge for services without a business license?
  - What other restrictions on the property?
  - What is my liability if a guest gets hurt?
  - What can I do if a guest refuses to leave?
  - What is my liability if a guest commits a crime?
  - Is there a cost for emergency services and who pays?

HungryCoyote said:
 self contained rv. This is a requirement for both Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome.

Wow, so we (car/van dwellers or in my case soon to be) are considered riff raff by default. For some reason pooping in a bucket, and bathing in something flimsy outside seems to cross a line of acceptability for so many people. 
:huh:

Sorry FrozenTundra I don't think that helps you problem any, I just find it odd how people are so quick to judge sometimes.

For my two cents: keeping it invite only, or at least nomads would need to contact you in advance and have someone you know or trust vouch for them. There may need to be a few leaps of faith at the start to get the ball rolling. From the posts here it doesn't seem that CRVL has the vetting infrastructure you are looking for.  
For what it's worth, I hope you can make this happen. Giving nomads a place to stay is a great way to supporting the community and I hope your guests bring you lots of stories and leave you with even more to tell.
:thumbsup:

I got curious about the origin of the term riff raff. It is always good to know as you can toss it back at someone by asking them if they know of local wars where you can apply your special skill set ;)

Where did the saying riff raff come from?
A To trace this one, we have to start in medieval French. There was then a set expression rifle et rafle. These words are from the verbs rifler, to spoil or strip, and raffler, to carry off. The phrase referred to the plundering of the bodies of the dead on the battlefield and the carrying off of the booty.Sep 18, 1999

jacqueg said:
Which is good if you have a self-contained RV. 

The website says they don't accept car/van dwellers or people who use tents. 
The O.P. was wanting to allow others to stay on his land. They could do that through BoondockersWelcome. 

As a Host for Boondockers welcome I did accept people in cars and tents. It is up to each host what they are willing to offer. There is also another group called couchsurfers. These travelers usually only have a car, So I provide them with Kktchen, bath and bed. The only bad experiences that I have had doing this is from people from the good old USA.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Seeing a lawyer first is good advice.

Just a few of the landmines I can think of:
  - How many guests can I accommodate legally?
  - How many guests before I need to provide services (toilet, trash, etc.)?
  - Can I charge for services without a business license?
  - What other restrictions on the property?
  - What is my liability if a guest gets hurt?
  - What can I do if a guest refuses to leave?
  - What is my liability if a guest commits a crime?
  - Is there a cost for emergency services and who pays?

All, very valid points why I wouldn't want the headaches of this on any property I own.
  -What about waste disposal according to code ?
  -How do you handle neighbor complaints about excess traffic/noise/odors ?
  -Is there a curfew/quiet time ?
  -Is there zoning in place ?

Thank you so much DannyB for writing the truth about Boondockerswelcome.com

It is not a rigid no use only for some website at all :)

It is what a host is willing to accept, what conversations happen between hosts and user and MANY in all situations of their travels and vehicles can use it. ugh the misinformation on this thread about this site is horrible!

For everyone never accept what someone writes about a site as set in stone. Everyone check it out themselves. There are MANY who are willing to put up travelers for a few days free and are helpful, wonderful great people who offer this hosting!! So happy you posted DannyB, set some of this wrong info into right info :)

JD GUMBEE said:
I agree.
Imagine if one of the mods here showed up at your place?? (SHIVER)
Bring the freaking land value down to zilch the SECOND their tires make tracks on your land.

For some strange reason, I smile as I proofread that.
(Its the simple pleasures that bring the most joy into ones heart.) :) :) :)
LOL
My apologies for "butting in" here, but would you be kind enough to explain the meaning of the word: "Mod"? I am in a learning process for modern Nomad language.   Respectfully,  Dan 1

i'm soon heading to manitowoc, wisc on lake ferry from mich.  but just saying....as an old lady traveling solo i would never camp at someone's place without having met them in my previous travels first. your generosity is admirable, guess i maybe overly cautious.

rvwandering said:
Mod is short for moderator - forum language not nomad language. :)
JD (RIP) was not always a fan of the moderators.

Thank you for the knowledge, "rvwandering". Its "duh" on me. One would think that I could figure that out. I guess I didn't want to assume what "Mod" meant. 

Uh...why is this forum's language not "Nomad Language"?

We have had many of the moderators stop by our place, and we are all the better for it.
Sad that certain people feel the need to demean people they don't even know.
As for Boondockers Welcome, never hesitate to use them. You can have any interaction you wish with your hosts. That goes for just pulling up and parking to going out to dinner together.
I recommend it highly and especially to those that are hesitant thinking it would be unsafe. I have been with Boondockers Welcome since it's the inception and have met nothing but good people and made new friends.