Who would a landowner contact about hosting caravans?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crackedpan said:
i'm soon heading to manitowoc, wisc on lake ferry from mich.  but just saying....as an old lady traveling solo i would never camp at someone's place without having met them in my previous travels first. your generosity is admirable, guess i maybe overly cautious.

I think I would have the same idea and response, "crackedpan". In that way, one can be sure of welcome.

just a FYI for everybody when you get your official welcome everyone gets a link to,

"Tips, Tricks and Rules"

if you read them, I know a lot of people don't, LOL you will find this,

Common Acronyms

OP = Opening Post, Original Post, Original Poster
CP = Control Panel
PM = Private Message
Mod = Moderator

CRVL = Cheap RV Living
RTR = Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, a gathering

BLM = Bureau of Land Management
NFS = National Forest Service
LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

as a side note we ask that all abbreviations that are not well known be defined at least once in a thread. for instance I think everybody knows what USA stands for but what about R&R or SOP.

highdesertranger

More on how Boondockers welcome works. They are basically an email forwarding service so that as long as the host and guest wishes to remain anonymous to each other they can. The host will post a profile about what they usually offer a guest, but that is not set in stone. A guest is free to contact a host and say something like I am car camping or can I pitch a tent in your yard etc. If the host says yes, they exchange information, ( like where the host lives). Whatever the two parties agree to is the deal. Boondockers Welcome does not get a vote.
I stopped being a host for BW because of a couple of bad experiences that I had with guests. One showed up in a half million dollar rig and kept my 50 amp electrical service busy for days. Then drives off with a thanks a lot pal, bye. Their stay jacked up my electric bill, but why should they care? Another guest wanted to stay a couple of days extra to wait for a package, then it was a couple of more days because the next place was not ready for them. Then it was they needed a few more days. After almost two weeks I had enough. I had to tell them to leave, NOW. I am not running a free RV park. Then Boondockes Welcome wanted personal information about me that they did not really need.

File for a mechanics lien and it will be yours. Of course this will be state dependant.

Dan 1 said:
Uh...why is this forum's language not "Nomad Language"?

There are about a gazillion online forums out there, on just about every topic/hobby/subculture/passion you can imagine - and then some. You will generally find that the Moderators on any of them are referred to as "Mods." Therefore, it's forum terminology, not just pertaining to this forum nor nomadding in general.

DannyB1954 said:
As a Host for Boondockers welcome I did accept people in cars and tents. It is up to each host what they are willing to offer. 

The website sure doesn't say that though.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/become-a-guest/

"What is a self-contained RV?

A self-contained RV is one that is set up to allow all functions of living (sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation) to be handled completely while inside the RV. A toilet, sink and a built-in grey water tank are absolute requirements. Confirmation that you'll be traveling in a self-contained RV is required to purchase or activate guest privileges."

Could things have changed since you were hosting?

I have a luggable loo, but no indoor sink or built-in grey water tank. And no intention of getting either - in fact, I took out the sink unit that was in my cargo van when I bought it, seemed like a waste of space to me.

(I note that a couple of others have agreed with you about Boondockers Welcome, but that sure isn't the situation presented on the website.)

Will look into couchsurfers, thanks.

Confirmation that you'll be traveling in a self-contained RV is required to purchase or activate guest privileges."

Thank you for posting that. I was beginning to think I was the only one who actually went and read their rules.

A bit more personal experience/comments on BoondockersWelcome:

That is the same paragraph I signed up for stating:"Confirmation that you'll be traveling in a self-contained RV is required to purchase or activate guest privileges."

At the time, I had my Sienna with SELF CONTAINED toileting. I KNEW I wasn't going to be needing outside facilities because BDW members generally only make accommodations for ONE NIGHT, and since I like driving more than camping... well; I wasn't lying. That was ? 3 years ago.

Yes, you can decide how many nights as a Host up to 5, but the site used to recommend that 1 or 2 is probably easier on both Guests and Hosts.

It is all set up for individual needs and communication. It's your life, so do whatever both parties agree to. Simple.

The BEST part about the entire arrangement is that both Guests and Hosts LEAVE COMMENTS/FEEDBACK on each other's pages for all to read. (Like Ebay, kind of - but better) Very unlikely that you would fall into a weird situation. And if you DO.. PLEASE for the sake of all other members, Post it!! (or alter you OWN Host page to indicate what you will/will not put up with). Easy!

I see no reason to get all up in the air and attitude prone regarding such a great site/opportunity to help with free travels and a more secure feeling, than other possibilities. (Seriously... Grab a portapotty and quit complaining.)

I'd also like to say: The site actually Recommends that if you are plugging in a huge rig, in summer with a/c, etc.; you should pay a a bit to your Host; and that Hosts should likely state that & amount per night, in their profile ahead of time.

I've never had a problem. Love my Guests and Hosts so far.

P.S. I have an acre and would like to host a small group as well..sometime... when I'm home in winter. So Cent. Texas.. but I'm thinking I'd do it thru my BDW page. Just sayin'. :)