Who makes the best metal ice chest?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tx2sturgis said:
You will need to spend some money to get a good cooler.

It doesn't have to be a Yeti, there are cheaper brands that work about as well.

One alternative is the Ozark Trail at Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-26-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler/55703255

Or if you have the room:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tr...466001f5-47f4d1a0-113678a13db992f&athena=true

Roto-molded coolers are a lot sturdier than the cheap injection molded coolers, so they can actually be placed in your small camper and used for seating. 

They tend to have very sturdy latches and hinges, and a gasket around the lid. 

Plus, most will have pretty good insulation and ice-keeping ability.

Thanks for the ideas/links.  Something to look into.  My Igloo Elite is 16 quarts, and that's really all the room I've ever needed or have space for.  

I thought I remembered someone in this thread, after I told them what model I had, that the plastic Igloo coolers were the best, but that hasn't been my experience.  

A Yeti would be nice, but they're crazy-expensive!

tx2sturgis said:
Roto-molded coolers are a lot sturdier than the cheap injection molded coolers, so they can actually be placed in your small camper and used for seating. 
Definitely food for thought.  My bed is very high, and my dog is getting older and it's quite a jump for him.  More importantly maybe is that the shock of jumping off will be bad news as he ages further.  I was thinking of getting a storage ottoman or storage bean bag that he could use as a step, but a storage cooler might be more useful, and probably far more sturdy for his 65 pounds.

I took a look at the 26 liter Ozark Trail cooler at Walmart today. It looked pretty nice, but I noticed it didn't have a drain at the bottom.

For $90 I want a drain so I don't have to empty it and tip it over on its side.

It looked like it sealed pretty good.

I just found this on YouTube.  It shows a possible way to improve the performance of the Igloo Playmate coolers.  

Pretty simple approach, but I wonder how well it will/would work if the cooler was kept inside the van and not out in direct sunlight.

I've been using Reflectix on the windows of my van for years.  Not sure why I didn't think of trying this before.  

Might be worth a try.  I need a project this weekend.   :D

That one is exactly the same design as the $86 Ozark from Walmart (& I do mean exactly). It's an exact copy.
I wonder if they're owned by the same company?

The Ozark gets terrible reviews.

I'm going to try insulating the lid of my Igloo Playmate with Refletix this weekend, then test the results. I'll post my findings.

This what I've come up with.  It's slightly different than the one in the YouTube video I linked above.  

Reflectix inside and out.  

I've literally covered every-single surface with the Reflectix, including the little recessed area on the bottom and the inside of the lid.  

The Reflectix on the inside isn't attached by anything at all.  I did this for sanitary reason and cleaning.  
The rest is attached via double-sided tape and silver, reflective tape (the kind you have to peel the backing off of).  

Next step: Ice tests in my van.  Hopefully I can get more than 2 days out of it now.  

I'm very tempted to do another multi-state road trip while conducting this test.  I'd like to explore more of Oregon.  :)

Attachments

• IMG_2577.jpg
    IMG_2577.jpg
    64.2 KB
  • IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    85.4 KB
  • IMG_2578.jpg
    IMG_2578.jpg
    68.9 KB
Well BigT, that's a lunchbox cooler...no wonder it won't keep ice for longer than 2 days, it was not designed to.

Good luck with the reflectix cover. My guess is that it wont extend the ice retention much more than a day. But maybe that's just enough.

I'd be very happy if I could get three days between ice replacements.

From the reviews I've read, even the "real" ice chests, the ones with insulated lids, rubber seals and of heavy design, don't keep ice frozen for more than 4 days.
The big complaint I keep reading is how people can't get 3 days out of their expensive coolers.

If I can match the cooling efficiency of the $100 - $300 coolers, for the $15 I spent on Reflectix and tape, I'll be very pleased.

You can't.

Reflectix has near zero insulation value.

It will provide good shade, preventing heat gain from direct radiation, that is all.

Build a close-fitting box + lid from 4" of polyiso and put your cooler in that, opening as little as possible, that will work fine.

Eventually get that box lined with FRP and/or fiberglass, and you won't need the cooler anymore.

John61CT said:
You can't.

Reflectix has near zero insulation value.

It will provide good shade, preventing heat gain from direct radiation, that is all.

Build a close-fitting box + lid from 4" of polyiso and put your cooler in that, opening as little as possible, that will work fine.

Eventually get that box lined with FRP and/or fiberglass, and you won't need the cooler anymore.

I immediately noticed ice lasting a day longer by just draping a reflectix windshield cover (the kind that folds accordion style) over my $20 Igloo 30qt cooler. People don't realize how much radiant heat from the sun's rays affect the temperature inside any cooler. I think even reflected radiant heat has significant effect. This is part of the spectrum of light used by a solar panel to produce electricity. And if you put a solar panel in "shade" in an area adjacent to open sky on a clear, sunny day, the panel still produces some electricity. When you open your cooler after the crushed ice has been in it at least 24 hours, you see the ice beginning to melt at the edger - closest to the sides of the cooler. This is because heat outside the cooler is increasing the temperature and that heat penetrates to the inner wall no matter how much insulation it has (within reason). And the reason kids and dogs can die in a locked car in the sun is that the inside of the car can reach 150 degrees on a 90 degree day due to radiant heat from the sun concentrating inside the car. A cooler can likewise transmit heat to the inside of the vessel, especially when there's radiant heat from the sun working on it. Hate to toot my horn, but you will see coolers featuring reflective exteriors soon as those experimenting on their cheapie coolers have gotten sufficient media exposure.

AreWeLostYet said:
I immediately noticed ice lasting a day longer by just draping a reflectix windshield cover

That was my result, too.  

I pulled the Reflectix off the sides, but left the "foil blanket" on the otherwise uninsulated lid, and I got an extra day out of the ice (3 days).  

I also have Reflectix on every interior surface, and made a piece to put on top of the food/ice that I can press down as the ice melts and the level drops.  This creates/maintains a smaller area to keep cool as the contents and ice are reduced.  

It should be noted, however, that I was using block ice; plastic bottles full of water that I froze solid.  
I'll need to try it with the regular ice you buy in stores.  

I'd also like to try installing a drain.  I read that ice in water melts more quickly than ice that's not floating in water.  

Another option, since I'm getting decent results with this crappy Playmate "lunchbox" design, would be to get a slightly better, cheap cooler  with a flat, hinged lid, and add a little expanding foam to the inside of the lid and maybe try my Reflectix mod on that (or leave it out all together).

BigT said:
I'd also like to try installing a drain.  I read that ice in water melts more quickly than ice that's not floating in water.  

This was always my experience, the movement of my vehicle, sloshing the water around, melted the ice much quicker.

I just drilled a hole in my Playmate cooler to confirm that there is in fact insulation in the walls (there is), then I installed a simple expansion plug instead of an aftermarket cooler drain-plug.  

Seems to be working fine.  

I can afford to buy a new and better ice chest, but where's the fun in that?   :D

AreWeLostYet said:
I immediately noticed ice lasting a day longer by just draping a reflectix windshield cover (the kind that folds accordion style) over my $20 Igloo 30qt cooler..
Yes that is **exactly** what it is good for!

But worthless as **insulation**

worthless inside of insulation

worthless inside a cooler.

Which is what I was addressing.

> People don't realize how much radiant heat from the sun's rays affect the temperature inside any cooler.

I think they do, you'd have to be pretty dim to leave one out in the hot sun when a cool spot in the shade's available.

But even some clever but ignorant people think mylar / bubble wrap / Refectix has some insulation value.

Many aren't aware of the different strategies required to fight the three different types of heat movement.

Just a matter of reading books etc, googling or discussing with those who know.

A goose down sleeping bag, parka, or similar could be helpful too (and light weight), but you may have tried that during this three year thread. Swing by a second hand store if you don't have one around. I've had success using the down sleeping bag and a 35 year old Coleman cooler that's still in use, primarily for store runs in the truck anymore though.

I had horrible problems with thin walled Colemans for years so I went with the Igloo and had better luck with keeping ice. This was before the Extreme came out. So naturally, when the Max Cold came out I went with them and I really like them. I bought 2 Igloo Max Cold 120 Qt coolers at Walmart for $54 each 3 years ago and they are both still going strong. No repairs so far although I'm sure some will come eventually. I have hinges I bought from Academy expecting these repairs but have yet to use them.

I still have one 54 qt Igloo I got in 1996 with a super thick lid that is still going strong and it keeps ice better than any Coleman or Igloo I've owned but I don't see them made anymore.. I've replaced the hinges twice in 15 years and am still on the same latches and handles.. Of course I take care of my shizni

urowhurs: I bought 2 Igloo Max Cold 120 Qt coolers at Walmart for $54 each

Thanks for this info. I was just at Walmart a couple days ago staring at all the coolers trying to decide which to get.
I am a little concerned at how large it is but definately a contender

unless you are a body builder you aren't going to move a 120qt ice chest when it's full. highdesertranger