Which is better propane BBQ grill or charcoal?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerzeleidMeister

Reaction score
For obvious reason charcoal would work on my budget. We get very little a month so its my first choice, but are there places that disallow charcoal grills or has everyone outlawed them for the fire hazard?

When there are fire bans in place, which happens often during summer and fall in the West, they include anything that might give off sparks that could fly off and start fires. That usually includes charcoal.

MrNoodly said:
When there are fire bans in place, which happens often during summer and fall in the West, they include anything that might give off sparks that could fly off and start fires. That usually includes charcoal.

Yeah that is what I figured. I guess propane is the best way to ensure no one freaks out?

sometimes it has gotten so bad even a propane stove had to only be used inside a tent.
NO flames outdoors. even the smokers had to do it inside, the whole forest area had a omplete flame/ ember ban.

burn bans come in stages. charcoal grills are banned in the first stage along with campfires. highdesertranger

With the question of which is better. I much prefer to grill with charcoal. I'd even go as far to say if I cant use my charcoal grill I'll go ahead and cook on the stove.

Just my preference though.

mr_elijah_gardner said:
With the question of which is better. I much prefer to grill with charcoal. I'd even go as far to say if I cant use my charcoal grill I'll go ahead and cook on the stove.

Just my preference though.

Yeah so do I and they are cheaper to purchase. I'm not a huge fan of gas/propane grills. I did find a coleman stove/grill combo that looked pretty nice at Wal-Mart.

I like my gas grill because it can be used for many things. We are primarily weekenders, so we use it heat up pre-made breakfast burritos wrapped in foil, or put foil over the grill and toast bagels, and sandwiches. You can use it to reheat just about every thing too. Of course you can grill stuff on it, but I've started shying away from cooking messy meats, like hamburgers and fatty chicken. We also have started making Swedish meatball kebabs. Get the frozen, premade meatballs, put them on a kebab, grill them and slather them with the grape/ketchup glaze towards the end. We also have a propane stove, so it's nice only needing one fuel supply.

I was using a rocket stove with twigs and charcoal Mesquite so it's not an open flame but probably not usable when burn bans are issued. Propane stove in my rig second choice.

I'm a huge fan of charcoal over propane, although I do have a small Weber Q propane grill. I'm not on the road yet, but when I am, I have a small Weber Kettle and mini smoker. Sure hope I'll be able to make room for them.

Having used both at the house I'm not sure charcoal is cheaper after the initial investment. Propane lasts a long time using a small grill. I bought a nice two burner table top unit. Top folds down and latches. Legs fold up. Drip pan and a handle. Very stout grate. Could also be used to cook on. Called Nexgrill. Amazon has them.

I hope you have better luck with your Nexgrill then I had with mine. I had the same table top unit. key word, "had". highdesertranger

Latest posts