Which AAA membership level

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
If you have a AAA membership, which level did you choose, and was it the right choice?

Need to sign up before the next big trip. Verizon doesn't offer roadside assistance for my prepaid account.

Sorry for a vague answer, but it all depends on what coverage you need or want to pay for.

The best costs the most, but you get towed further.

Do you want towing for 5 miles, 100 or 200 miles?

Do you have a car, truck or RV?

Will you need an extra RV policy for a travel trailer?

If you have an RV...  the FMCA towing plan ($69) works best for me.  (but I won't recommend it... it's your choice).

https://site.fmca.com/fmca-roadside-rescue

I don't skimp on roadside assistance, I get the most I can afford. I don't want my van towed at 2am in rain and dropped in the middle of now where because that's as far as they can go. Plus you should have stashed away a few hundred or more for that emergency. Towing rent a room and repairs. That's in an envelope or somewhere maybe.

If you have an Class A or C Motor Home or RV trailer,  … I would check into the FMCA or a similar company specializing in roadside assistance for large RVs.
You want to be sure your rig can be towed "Together" and the trailer is not left sitting on side of road. YES that has been known to happen.

If you have a Class B Motor Home or truck camper, Van, etc ..  I would go with AAA.

I personally have the AAA  "middle"  plan ($91.00 per year)  that will tow me up to 100 miles.

The cheap plan (in my personal opinion) is worthless ... even if you live downtown big city, it's likely more than 5 miles to a garage.

The Biggest plan is great if you can afford it, because it can tow you up to 200 miles..

BUT... Think about this.. is there any place in America that you can break down farther than 100 miles from a garage and safety ?  Just asking.

as always, just my 2 cents worth and to each his own

John

" is there any place in America that you can break down farther than 100 miles from a garage and safety ? Just asking."

yes there are. highdesertranger

I need to right this down I keep forgetting I need this before I take out.

and a spare tire school buses don't come with spares  :rolleyes:

As for the question at least to come out and fix a flat tire

Each state’s AAA can be a little different in service and price.
We picked Premier for the extra tow miles. 200 vs 100. 100 probably gets you somewhere but 200 might get you home or to the shop of your choice vs any shop.
Then the question is does your vehicle qualify as an RV or not.
There seem to be some differences with truck campers. Check those if you have one.
Also appears you can upgrade at anytime... Side of Road? I’d check to be certain that is correct.

Judge your needs by how often in your past driving life you've needed roadside assistance. Do you break down a lot? Do you get stuck a lot? Do you run out of gas a lot? Then knock yourself out with the best roadside assistance you can afford. But if you've rarely needed it before you probably won't be in any greater need of it just because you're living in your vehicle. I'd rather spend the money on maintenance to prevent breakdowns.

A few years back I needed to be pulled out of sand that was hiding under a thin crust. It cost me less than what I would've been paying AAA all those years I never needed them. And I learned my lesson about sand and going places where there was any doubt about my ability to get through. Besides, most tow companies won't help you if you're more than a few feet off pavement.

If you're worried about breaking down or getting stuck, travel with one or two others. Have a tow strap, jumper cables, a fuel can and a few tools. Have a repair manual for your rig and study the troubleshooting section so you have a rough idea of the problem and so if you do need professional repairs you'll know whether they're feeding you bullshit and trying to rip you off.

I got Premier AAA and have used it 3 times this year, with 2 different vehicles. Definitely has paid for itself!

Dead battery, and two flat tires were the issues. They showed up in less than an hour in all cases. Super efficient and friendly, too.

Keep in mind you are limited to 4 call outs per membership year.

The last time I called, I was 1/4 of a mile down a dirt road and they wouldn’t send someone out, though they would find me an alternative towing company to call.

I ended up getting help from some other campers, so all was well.

Last month I broke down on I-81 in Penn.  Called AAA 6 times and they never sent help.  I have the 100 mile tow level (not the bottom level).  There seemed to be a problem because they asked what my vehicle was and I told them a Ram Promaster 2500 Van.   Their computer doesn't even show it exists.  I had to keep repeating what it was.  Now I am thinking that is why they never sent help.  Luckily a good samaritan (who was the AAA provider for that area) saw me and stopped to see if he could help (he already had a mini van on his flatbed truck).  He along with the guy he was already hauling, spent 1/2 hour there and got me back on the road. It had been over two hours and he never received the call to go help me from AAA.  He refused private payment and stated AAA wouldn't pay him either because they never called him.   He was a great human being who took pity on me.  I still need to go to local AAA and lodge a complaint.  So depending on your vehicle be sure whoever you get service through will actually have it in their computer so they will provide the service you are paying them for. :mad:

I'm a big fan of AAA Premier. Any time I've used it, it has more than paid for the yearly fee.

Even without the roadside assistance, I'd keep paying for a AAA membership just for the DMV processing facilities (might be specific to California).

Keep in mind that AAA isn't the only team in town!

I use a company called Paragon Motor Club. I've had them for 8 years now and, while seldom needed, they've never let me down. I use them because they have a presence in both the US and Canada so I'm covered wherever I am. One time when I was way out in the boonies on a forest service road in Ontario they simply couldn't find me on their mapping system. They ended up just calling the closest tow service, who called me to find out where I was. The driver knew exactly where to find me because he was local... :D He was there in half an hour!

Yes,  AAA covers you when you're out of their territory but they do it by having you find the tow company, pay and then they'll reimburse you. That doesn't sit well with me since I find that in an emergency trying to find a towing company on your own in a strange place can be a disaster.

Google 'roadside assistance companies' and do some research. Pick one that suits YOUR needs - ie RV/van/car and how far you figure you'll likely need towing service.

I've belonged to AAA since 2007 and have been very happy.  I drive beaters and put on a lot of miles, and every year I have to use it at least once.  And you use it once and it pays for itself.  One year I used the maximum, 4 calls.  I had a starting problem that was difficult to pinpoint, so that left me a few times stuck (it was an electrical problem and not a starter).  

I buy the 200 mile max.  I have AAA RV Premier and I highly recommend it.  I'm an eastern nomad, so I can't say for others, but anywhere out east when I've needed them, they were THERE.  Also if you're 200 miles away from home and need to be towed all the way home, you get towed all the way home.  Simple as that.  Since I'm centrally located, that's most of the state of Florida, and that's where I camp most of the time.

Yep, works for me.

wasanah2 said:
 I buy the 200 mile max.  I have AAA RV Premier and I highly recommend it.  I'm an eastern nomad, so I can't say for others, but anywhere out east when I've needed them, they were THERE.  Also if you're 200 miles away from home and need to be 
First off I have had AAA for about 40 yrs.  Many years never used it but when we did it was well worth the price.  However not all places sell the rv coverage.  Found out about it number of years ago and tried to buy it, nope not in NYstate at that time.  Recently tried again and apparently parts of the state you can get it but I live in a part that they don't sell it.  Was in the local office about a month ago and asked again, told no.  I need to go into the office and find out why I never got a truck sent.  Only second time in 40ish years I wasn't happy with AAA