Where to put the dog

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The question may seem weird because maybe someone else had an idea that I didn’t think of. That’s the beauty of gathering opinions.

Anyway, the boy ended up with the folding iCrate, just a bit smaller but enough room for him to sleep comfortably. He’s in the cargo area, with the crate pretty wedged behind the wall.

I don’t want him in front. I got a cat in his carrier that provides enough distraction up there.

Big dog owner. Milkie, 4 years old, Labrador. I do not transport him in a big cage as this does not help him move so use this instead https://www.subarupartspros.com/sku/f551ssa300.html and we usually go travel for 3 hours so I don't want him just in one position. I think it is better for him to be placed at the back without a cage just for him to let him breath more and enjoy the ride.

I use a PupSaver so she can safely ride in the front. It was expensive but worth it for my needs.
c05d5e0be7511f803e12d07e35850386.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've always taken my dogs with me. The last three were an 80lb Pit/German Shepherd mix, an 80 lb Boxer Pit Mix (he was in bad shape when I got him from the shelter, he didn't go very often) and now a little 60lb Pocket Pit (miniature Pit Bull) I don't let them in the front seat but on the floor of the backseat or wherever they are I put pillows or soft blankets so if they fall over they don't get hurt.
This new dog was kept in a crate and she has big hard calluses all over her elbows, legs and feet from the crate. I've never been a crate person but after losing my house in a fire in Nov 2018 I will never crate a dog. As it was smoke inhalation got her and I couldn't drag her out but it would have been a nightmare had she been crated, she would have been stuck and possibly caught in the fire. Had the firefighters arrived before 15 minutes after my call she could have been saved. Oh and no defense because they are less than a mile away-they could have run down the hill to our house faster.