Where to put the dog

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldenbound

Reaction score
I had my large crate in my van to transport my Lab puppy while traveling. I recently movEd it into the trailer so he can be in the AC if I need to go somewhere. So now, he still needs something to contain him during travel.

If I got another hardsided cRate, it takes up so much space in the van. Does anybody use a collapsible container? Is there a safe way to put a full grown Lab in the front seat? I don’t want him to get hurt if the airbags deploy.

I have a cargo van with a wall behind the seats.

There are doggie vehicle restraint harnesses. Kinda like seatbelt for dog. Not sure if they have one designed for front seat usage concerning the airbag.

Actual folding wire crates used by dog people at dog shows, trials can be found but often expensive. Strong wire ones can be found at Amazon, Walmart - MidWest is one brand. They are what I call semi easy folding. It takes more of an effort to unhook and fold down than the dog show crates. Either crate should be tied down with strong rope, straps so the dog is not thrown around in a crash or turns. No elastic cords that will snap.

If you put a dog in front seat the airbag must be turned off and then a person can never ride in the seat unless it is some type of easy on/off for airbag. Even with airbag off you will need a seatbelt harness. Need to read reviews to pick one you think is best. Not certain they are tested.

Saw the photos of a friends crash. Car turned left in front of them, road less than highway speeds, 50 ish. Car totaled, dogs ok except they needed chiropractic treatments for weeks. They got tossed around inside crate. Friend’s foot broken. Picture showed one crate somewhat wrapped around drivers seat and headrest but wires did not break

Wabbit said:
Not sure if they have one designed for front seat usage concerning the airbag.

Some vehicles have a button to turn off the front passenger airbag(s).

My ignition key turns off the airbag. Well, I guess the wire crate sounds best, I could just get a size smaller so it’s easier to manage. He just sleeps while I’m driving so I want him to have a comfortable space, instead of trying to fit on the seat.

Possibly try removing the passenger side front seat for more room, so a crate can be used, it doesn't sound like you will be using it on a swivel for additional camp seating.

why are you containing him during travel? So many pets just hang out on the seat and chill right along with ya during travel?

no judging, just curious why you want to crate your full grown lab?

RoamerRV428 said:
why are you containing him during travel?  So many pets just hang out on the seat and chill right along with ya during travel?

no judging, just curious why you want to crate your  full grown lab?

I just don’t like the idea of him being loose and unconfined in case of an accident. And I don’t allow my dog to hang his head out the window. Get your wind somewhere else,buddy.
I just feel safer if he’s in his den, sleeping.

This video happened to show up in my feed today. It's crash tests of various dog harnesses and carriers.

And here's another one.

Dang those are some cheap harnesses!
This is exactly why I was so insistent on keeping my wall and not putting a swivel seat in. The iCrate will be wedged up against the wall.

I have a Max sized folding wire crate and really like it but you would not be able to get one that is much bigger in a front seat.

This is what I made for Simon:
Simon nest.jpg

Platform is big enough for him to move around.  Sides are so he doesn't tear the truck apart when he sees wildlife.  Water bowl is attached to one side so it can't tip.

Harness has 2 purposes:
     He can't jump on me and cause an accident, but we still can touch.
     He won't hit the windshield or dashboard in a panic stop.
If the dog can move around he will probably get hurt in a bad accident.

Attachments

• Simon nest.jpg
    Simon nest.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 29
I bought a foldable dog fabric kennel from Camping world several years ago because I wanted to have my dog in the RV and keep him in the crate while driving.  I take it when I visit my son and grandchildren.  My dog feels secure in it and will go to the kennel when he needs to get away from the kids.  I keep it expanded with the door open.  I only zip it up when I'm away for a while or at night.  I don't want him to walk around a pee inside in the night.

MrNoodly said:
This video happened to show up in my feed today. It's crash tests of various dog harnesses and carriers.

And here's another one.

Oh crud, that is throw up time.
What does one do now?

Hmmm.  That first video was pretty horrible.  Frankly; I'd almost rather take our chances than those options.  The steel crate IS the only one that withstood BUT.. I'm pretty good with dog anatomy.. I think they'd have a better chance being thrown clear of the vehicle.  Geeze.
There just doesn't seem to BE THEE answer. :(

Meanwhile...

(Window Wieners!) :)

Window Wieners.png

Attachments

• Window Wieners.png
    Window Wieners.png
    258.4 KB · Views: 8
They do make large sized soft case zippered crates with mesh wall sections. I just got one from the thrift store for my friends standard poodle. They have zippers on them and that allows the side sections to fold down flat for a relatively compact size for storage. As mentioned you can find them used in thrift stores, ebay, craigslist, etc.

keywords to use in your web search are "XL soft sided collapsible dog crate"

waldenbound said:
I had my large crate in my van to transport my Lab puppy while traveling. I recently movEd it into the trailer so he can be in the AC if I need to go somewhere. So now, he still needs something to contain him during travel.

If I got another hardsided cRate, it takes up so much space in the van. Does anybody use a collapsible container? Is there a safe way to put a full grown Lab in the front seat? I don’t want him to get hurt if the airbags deploy.

I have a cargo van with a wall behind the seats.

This question seems peculiar on a number of levels with me; I'll try to respond anyway.

First, why should he be contained?

Second, collapsible pens are universally obtainable.  So much so that I wonder why you are asking this here unless it's simply the first time the thought has ever crossed your mind. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I'm used to dog stuff and any dog afficionado(I guess a step up from I-like-my-dog?) has seen them before and may even have more than one. They are strong and reliable.  My mother puts one on top of her SUV and used to use the same rack on her economy hatchback.  

Again, my mother is an international dog judge and national champion and we do this kind of thing all the time.  I'm probably not in sync with a newbie to these kind of questions, so they just seem weird to me.  Yes, of course you can do what you are looking to do, and it is not expensive.  You do need a certain amount of space. Then again, hatchbacks and SUV's and vans and trucks with big cabs are everywhere these days, so perhaps it's not as much a specialty question as maybe it was back in the day when everybody was in sedans.