Where to escape the SNOW

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rderito

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I live in Connecticut and I am starting to make plans to finally sell or rent out my house and boondock in my minivan, 
I've done numerous week long trips to the Adirondacks in NY throughout the spring and summer, but wanted to get away for most of the winter.

My question to you is, 
in the wintertime Dec - Feb 
where is the closest to Connecticut that I would have to travel to escape the snow if I wanted to stay away from the east coast, figure only west of the Mississippi River.
I don't mind 50 or 60 degree weather in the day, just not liking the below freezing temps and the snow.
Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma. or would I have to go to south Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and close to the southern border.
I figured you boondockers would know exactly where to go.
Thanks

In NW Ohio right now, we have 2" on the ground, if you get anywhere that is East of a great lake in November, you will get SOCKED with snow......Buffalo, East of Clevaland, East of Chicago, Michigan. I think mid/South Ohio just got nailed with 4-8 inches.

To be comfortable most of the time? South Texas, southern AZ and southern CA

Even the desert gets cold at night. Yuma, Arizona is as close as I've come to being warm in the winter in the west and Florida below Daytona in the east. It is fairly easy to avoid snow but wind and cold nightime temps are a little more difficult.

As Bob always says, it's a combination of latitude and elevation. And humidity is always a factor for me. The less the better.

El Paso is at 3,700 feet and Las Cruces NM is at 3,900 feet, so they're not all that warm. Tucson is at 2,300 feet and Phoenix at 1,000. Yuma is 140 feet which is one of the reasons it's usually the warmest place in Arizona. A lot of people like the Texas coast, but it's too humid for me.

rderito said:
Hi Everyone,
I live in Connecticut and I am starting to make plans to finally sell or rent out my house and boondock in my minivan, 
I've done numerous week long trips to the Adirondacks in NY throughout the spring and summer, but wanted to get away for most of the winter.  ....

Mod Edit- video is about free camping on Padre Island. Please include a description with video links.

travelaround said:
Sorry, just noticed Arkansas isn't east of the Mississippi - but it is close. Okay, only New Orleans? Or nearby?

I would rather have snow than be in NO.

The Adirondacks have been my 4 season playground most of my life. Recently finished a job in Saratoga area. I have a 13 lb. Hornbeck carbon fiber canoe sitting out here in Southern California next to my camper. It is searching for water! I used it considerably up North in the ADKs. I have been all over the West and my take on where to stay warm consists of these area (all in the West because that is where most of us boondock): the Colorado River Corridor from just South of Las Vegas to Yuma, Southeastern California desert from I-10 south to border as long as you are below around 1000 ft. This includes Anza Borrego and Slab City, Southern Arizona below 1000 ft. That's about it that I can think of. I did find elevation maps online last winter for Arizona but can't remember the site. They were very specific geographic maps and very useful. Good luck!

Thanks for all the info, I will look into the places you mentioned.
Yes I love upstate NY, my cousin works at Fort Drum and any chance I have to go I'm there.
I restore wood/canvas canoes as a hobby and have been to almost every lake in the Adk park with my 1948 PennYan that my uncle purchased new and I restored.
He used to go into Canada, strap it to the outside of a float plane and was dropped off in one of the lakes to hunt.
Happy Holidays to all

... when I don't feel like travel'n way out west or hit'n Padre Island , 
    I spend winters bouncing from one Wallys to another in northern
    Fla. and SC/NC  -- Savannah is nice to explore and there are two 
    "van" friendly Wallys - spent Dec/Jan last yr bouncing tween them,
    good TV reception there too ...

Latest posts