Where Have You Found the Best RV Deals?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandelion_Puff

Reaction score
We're searching for an RV to full-time in, most likely a travel trailer. Our budget is pretty low and obviously we want the best deal we can possibly get, so I figured I'd ask others here where and how they found great deals on used RVs. So far I've been spending a lot of time on Craigslist looking at RVs for sale by owner, which seems to have some good deals, but obviously there's an element of risk there, particularly since everything is winterized so there's no way to test out a lot of the systems. I've also found a surprising number of trailers for sale by RV dealers that are in our price range (found through their own websites or through RVtrader). These at least claim to have been inspected by their own mechanics and some dealerships are set up to demonstrate the systems even in the dead of winter.

So, did you find your best RV deal through a private sale or a dealership? Is there somewhere I should be looking other than Craigslist, RVtrader.com, and the dealership websites? I’ve looked around for other listing sites but not found much.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dandelion_Puff said:
We're searching for an RV to full-time in, most likely a travel trailer. Our budget is pretty low and obviously we want the best deal we can possibly get, so I figured I'd ask others here where and how they found great deals on used RVs. So far I've been spending a lot of time on Craigslist looking at RVs for sale by owner, which seems to have some good deals, but obviously there's an element of risk there, particularly since everything is winterized so there's no way to test out a lot of the systems. I've also found a surprising number of trailers for sale by RV dealers that are in our price range (found through their own websites or through RVtrader). These at least claim to have been inspected by their own mechanics and some dealerships are set up to demonstrate the systems even in the dead of winter.

So, did you find your best RV deal through a private sale or a dealership? Is there somewhere I should be looking other than Craigslist, RVtrader.com, and the dealership websites? I’ve looked around for other listing sites but not found much.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Don't know where you are, but here in Utah we have a site called ksl.com. It has free classifieds. Lots of everything! Good place to search for rv,s to give yourself ideas. If you like it, download their app. ( its faster ) hope this helps, and good luck. Rick

This is the best time of the year to shop in cold climates as business is slow and it is almost time for inventory. I would try to work with a dealer, we just did. On RVTrader, they were asking $11,900 and I called to make an inquiry about the unit and the salesman did some checking on my question, called back and he said "If you are interested, I can sell it to you for $9,150. I didn't even hint that I would pay the list, and I thought the list price was reasonable. Time to move inventory!

Snow Gypsy, I'd had that exact same thought, about the time of year and them wanting to clear out inventory. I'm in Pennsylvania, for the record. Definitely not weather that would make most people think of camping right now (I say as the ice clicks merrily away against my window). I think I will start calling up dealerships in the region tomorrow, at least all the ones who have units that look remotely good on their websites. I wonder if it's possible the others have anything not listed on their websites?

Of course, then I have to try to figure out how low a lowball offer is reasonable to make, since that would effect what's even worth calling about. If I could get the same AMOUNT off that Snow Gypsy was offered, it would greatly expand what I could look at, but I imagine it goes more by percentages. I'm also probably over-thinking this, since I'm one of those people who'd rather stick an ice pick in my eye than haggle over a price, lol.

Doesn't hurt to call the dealerships and give them an idea of what you are looking for as others will be "trading up" now looking for deals too, thus creating more used units.   Be prepared for them to try to talk you into spending more than you want.  Just tell them you can't do it.  I was lucky with this dealership.  I just try to be honest with them and then if they want to play games, well, I have this "other" side......  A lot of what they can offer on a used unit has to do with the profit they made selling to the new(er) one to the person that traded, so you just never know.  Never, ever sound desperate or like you LOVE the unit because many wait for that customer.  A lot of times with an older unit, or something not like they usually have on their lot, they just want to "move" it.  Good Luck!

Thanks again, Snow Gypsy. I am rather dreading any pressuring sales tactics, since they tend to annoy the crap out of me, but it's impossible to talk me into spending more than my budget, since my budget is set by the amount of cash we currently have on hand. We're not going to qualify for financing, so there's luckily little leeway there.

Now I just have to get off work early enough or wake up early enough to actually be home to make the phone calls during business hours. *sigh*

I found both of mine using Craigslist and the search engine that expands your search. I found that offers for sale in a smaller or more rural area tended to be less expensive and few scams. I did make sure I had a valid phone number and address before driving an hour or more to check out a vehicle.

I wish you well in your search, Rob

I am searching For my used Rv.
 Someone gave me very good  Tip
 Many senior citizens hate trying to do anything on the network or social media 
 I know this to be true, working with them for them and a photo lab.

It is often just too confusing. What  we would think is the most simple thing to do ,is incredibly complicated for them. 
 So many of them that might have that trailer or even in your garage, 
 Seldom used now. 
Would probably just use the regular  paper. Or the equivalent of their local " Bonnie  buyer "

Also, I have  noticed  that there are only a few class c's out there.
 I deals  seem seem to be in the class 'A

Hope some of this help's you
 My search goes on .

I used to buy trailers and motorhomes that were in a little distress, fix them up, and flip them for a few dollars profit, once upon a time. You really need to understand what you're looking at for an RV, whether it's a motorhome or trailer before you make an offer though. The trailers I'd buy and sell were either Airstreams or the little fiberglass egg trailers. I had a ready market, and even if they needed a new axle or some other major repair, I knew that they'd likely be structurally sound.

Know what you're looking at when you see an RV. Spot wood vs. steel vs. aluminum framing. There's nothing necessarily wrong with wood, depending on what he outer covering is and how it's applied. My Super-C motorhome is framed in wood, but it also has three roll bars in the coach that help support the frame, and there's no seams in the fiberglass roof to leak. That doesn't mean it can't leak around through-hulls and windows though.

Learn to spot dry rot and where it forms. Look at the frame. Check out the appliances. You might find a coach that is significantly discounted from market value from a private party because one or more of the appliances need to be replaced. Know what those costs are and labor costs if you're not willing to do it yourself so you can decide if it's still a good buy after repairs.

You might occasionally find a good deal at a dealership, but they're in the business of selling RVs, not making sure that you get the best RV for your money. On a used coach, they're not going to fix anything you don't point out, unless it's something safety-related. Any "good deals" on a dealership lot are going to be those RVs that have been on the lot for more than 120 days and get little 'looking' action. Occasionally, if you're looking for a specific coach or trailer that is undervalued in the market but that has the features you want, you may be able to find a deal at a dealer. I bought my Born Free Super-C motorhome that way from a dealership. People just weren't interested in it because they didn't know what it was. I, on the other hand, knew EXACTLY what it was and put the deal together within days of finding it. I bought it about $20k under market value.

Your best deals, though, are going to be on Craigslist. And don't be shy about stopping at people's houses if it looks like there's something you might be interested in sitting in the yard unused.

RVs and trailers in particular are pretty simple gizmos, for the most part. Once you know what to look for, what makes one more desirable over another, and how to determine if it's a quality coach in good condition, it really makes no difference whether you buy from a dealer or a private party. You'll know you're getting a good deal on a trailer in good condition, you'll know what it needs, and you'll know what all that's going to cost you.

Happy hunting!

Back in 2006 my wife and I looked at travel trailers from Indy to Louisville for over 4 months, private and dealers. Finally found one brand new in southern Indiana. It had hail damage on one side and cracked roof vents. Offered them almost 50 percent of list and they laughed. Left our number and they did call about 4 days later and took the offer. About 2 months ago we were in north east New Mexico and it hailed there. Front of trailer got hit. Now they match and it wasn't upsetting. It takes time to find the right one. Been in it for ten years and still no problems to speak of .

hepcat said:
Know what you're looking at when you see an RV. Spot wood vs. steel vs. aluminum framing. There's nothing necessarily wrong with wood, depending on what he outer covering is and how it's applied.

Good info Hepcat. I'm in the market right now and am beating my head against the wall daily. If you don't mind can you tell me how you can tell what the framing is by looking at the outside?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
Good info Hepcat.  I'm in the market right now and am beating my head against the wall daily.  If you don't mind can you tell me how you can tell what the framing is by looking at the outside?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Generally, if a trailer has a sheet metal skin with some kind of Masonite or similar surface board stapled on inside, it's a wood frame.  They'll be like the '60s and '70s construction with a seam at the top, and likely with seams in the roof material, whatever it may be.  They're usually the least expensive trailers to buy as the construction materials are inexpensive and they're built quickly.  

The others are more difficult to tell.  Sometimes they'll have a decal that says steel or aluminum frame.  Sometimes they have bonded, seamless panels.   

Sometimes you just have to do your homework on the product to see how they're constructed.  Generally a brand that is better constructed will tell you how they're built in the materials included with the trailer, and sometimes you can find information about a specific make and model online.

You can use a magnet to find the steel beams, assuming it does not have a steel skin.

Snow Gypsy said:
This is the best time of the year to shop in cold climates as business is slow and it is almost time for inventory.  I would try to work with a dealer, we just did.  On RVTrader, they were asking $11,900 and I called to make an inquiry about the unit and the salesman did some checking on my question, called back and he said "If you are interested, I can sell it to you for $9,150.  I didn't even hint that I would pay the list, and I thought the list price was reasonable.  Time to move inventory!

My hubby and I looking for an RV, and we live in SWFL. Do you suppose the same logic applies down here?

The last time I was RV shopping, SWFL was a shoppers' dream!

St. Pete/Clearwater area has a RV lot about every 1/4 mile all up and down the highway.

A lot of northern newly retired folks buy a brand new RV, head south for the winter and then find that either they hate the RV lifestyle or that the two of them simply cannot get along in that small a space (they probably can't get along in 3 times the space but they blame the close quarters... :D ) They buy a double wide trailer and put the RV up for sale.

Because of the proliferation of RVs for sale, the sales rep can live with a lower commission per unit than more northern reps because they sell more units. Coming up soon (early spring) is prime time for finding a good unit in that area.

I'm in the process of buying a new TT. I've looked hard all over california for this one Jayco model, they are all priced within $500 of each other. But today I ran into "Worldwide RV" in Mesa, Arizona. Exact same trailer, same warranty and same options for $2500 less including their PDI, Prep and Destination charges.. I'm headed to Mesa to pick it up next week...

Ask for Brian Dacey, Internet Director @ http://www.worldwiderv.com/

You are in Pennsylvania?

If so, there is a youtube channel I watch where the couple is from Australia and were planning on spending a year driving around the USA because the wife is American. They bought a used RV in California last spring and have been driving it around ever since. It seems really reliable and it seems like most of the systems work. I don't think they have it winterized as they are still living in it in PA. Anyooo. someone got pregnant and now they are planning to go back to Australia in February. I don't know these people of course, just watch their channel, but they seem like really good folks who would tell you the truth about the condition of the RV. I imagine that you can contact them via Youtube if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPQj8qdP20bGQaxkMzY22Zw

Never a simple answer, if you are handy things change. I have had luck with bank repo's that need some work. Make an offer and wait. Banks don't like stuff sitting during the winter. I bought a 30ft class c 12,000 under wholesale.

Like this discussion. Hepcat gives good advice. Having looked at casita fiberglass egg, they are too small. Airstream are market overpriced by $10000 on average.

What other brands - models are good for RV trailers that are smaller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk