Where do you park in the city etc? (travel trailer)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimkelb89

Reaction score
I've narrowed down my choices to either a truck camper or a short travel trailer. 

My main concerns about the trailer are: 

Where do you park in the city (any city)? I will be attending events in major cities such as concerts and conventions.

Is it safe to leave a dog in a trailer if it is parked at a campground and drive your truck somewhere where dogs can't go? I mean safe in terms of  theft of the trailer, break ins, etc. Are there places that don't allow a dog to be alone in a trailer even if it is temperature controlled? How do you secure a trailer so it can't be stolen?

I don't know anyone with a truck and rv here but want to practice hitching one before I commit. Any ideas on that one? (Austin, TX)

I'm going to an RV show in a week and a half so hoping to get some answers there and maybe find someone willing to show me how it's done.

Short answer on parking something longer than a regular van in a major urban area - you don't!

Parking lots are not set up for anything bigger than a single vehicle and turning radius is barely enough for a fire truck. Most inner city areas have parking garages that even pose a problem for those of us with high profile vehicles.

If you want to travel with a travel trailer then leaving it in the 'burbs is the only answer.

As to leaving your pets in the trailer - most campgrounds either forbid or frown on leaving them unattended while you even go to the beach at the park let alone leaving them alone for hours. Cats would be okay, they don't bark at anything that goes by on the street but the vast majority of dogs when left alone for long periods of time will start to fuss.

Safety for the trailer itself in terms of theft is the least of the problem, campgrounds are quite safe but are usually further outside of the large urban areas thereby lengthening the time you would be away from the animals.

Leaving them in a trailer or a truck camper in a parking lot rather than a campground would depend on the state, in some jurisdictions it's illegal no matter the weather.

Sadly, having pets AND the lifestyle you envision seem to be polar opposites.

kimkelb89My main concerns about the trailer are: said:
Where do you park in the city (any city)? I will be attending events in major cities such as concerts and conventions.

** What ever city you're going to, check the convention centers ... they will often have a special lot for bus/RV parking.  Think about big concerts and all the people that travel with big stars...they often sleep on site.  In Chicago where I'm from, McCormick Place, a big convention center downtown, has RV parking.  It's $35/day.  Here's the link, you have to make a reservation******https://www.truticket.com/bus_eventparking_2.aspx?id=300001 You can take public transportation from there anywhere in the city.  I would contact whatever city you plan to visit to find out possibilities.  In LA, I have left my RV in the far out lot of the airport overnight.  I go to restaurants and park my RV close by with pups inside.  I'm mindful to not park in front of houses but alongside.  I've also parked in parking lots of hotels for a few hours....there is a place in Las Vegas to do that.  Also check out Will Prowse youtube channel.  He has a Class C, lives near San Fran, and parks in industrial park areas.  Contact him.

Is it safe to leave a dog in a trailer if it is parked at a campground and drive your truck somewhere where dogs can't go? I mean safe in terms of  theft of the trailer, break ins, etc. Are there places that don't allow a dog to be alone in a trailer even if it is temperature controlled? How do you secure a trailer so it can't be stolen?

**Haven't left the pups in my RV (Class C) while at a campground...haven't had the need yet.  I thought if I ever had a need, I would find a dog sitter or doggie day care.  You can test your pup to see how they do when you walk away...try leaving for 5 min, then 10 min and increasing times.

**As far as securing trailer so won't be stolen...I don't know, I have a Class C and that's one of the things I like about it.

I don't know anyone with a truck and rv here but want to practice hitching one before I commit. Any ideas on that one? (Austin, TX)

I'm going to an RV show in a week and a half so hoping to get some answers there and maybe find someone willing to show me how it's done.

You need to keep your responses outside the quotes, or at least use a different color

I can't answer your first question about parking in cities...I just avoid them if I'm hooked up. I think you will have to camp outside the city at a campground or RV park and drive in.

I have left my dogs alone in my RV for several hours but they are very quiet and don't bark. They actually only howl (apparently) when I leave for work in the morning and they can see me leave from the yard. On the rare occasion I have left them alone in an RV park I just haven't told anyone...no one will know unless they bark. I have also left them alone when boondocking as long as the temperatures are decent i.e. below 80

While a trailer is easier to break into than a house, just don't leave anything around that makes it look like it is worth breaking into. The fancier your rig, or the nicer stuff someone sees around it, or if they can peek inside and see nice things the more likely it will be to get broken into. Thieves are generally opportunistic. Buy a hitch lock and keep the compartment locked that houses the jack controls.

Backing the truck to meet with an RV may have you get out and take a look to check your progress, very common to take your time and remain focused on your task. These two videos may be helpful. For a truck camper... , and for a travel trailer... which also includes the Equalizer Hitch connecting demo. The Equalizer Hitch is one brand of hitch, of many, that is available for weight distribution & sway control of your travel trailer.

As far as hitching a trailer, a license plate "backup camera" makes the job easy.  These can be had OEM or aftermarket.  Both the van and SUV have backup cameras that make positioning the ball under the hitch easy.  Use the side and rearview mirrors to get the rough alignment and when close look at the backup cam.  YMMV

DuneElliot said:
I can't answer your first question about parking in cities...I just avoid them if I'm hooked up. I think you will have to camp outside the city at a campground or RV park and drive in.

Depending on your motorcoach length/width, you'll be parking along with the trailers as mentioned.

You need a truck camper for parking in the city. Most trailers will get a ticket if parked on the street in major cities.

kimkelb89 said:

Apparently the biggest RV show in Texas is this week in Houston: http://www.houstonrvshow.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kimkelb89 said:

Here's a tip for beginning to hitch that helps with the confidence.  PepBoys and places like that sell bright yellow poles, sets of 2 with magnetic bottoms and red tips.  Put one on the ball of the trailer hitch and one on your hitch.  Tremendous help.  If there are 2 of you, walkie talkies help but first practice your signals so you know what each other's hands, arms and rolled eyes are saying.  That goes for with or without walkies.  Big parking lots early in the morning before they are busy or late at night are empty with lots of space.  Also check with your police department about areas and even training.  Check with driving schools - they offer trailer training.

I Live in Boston in a 26 ft. RV April-October near Fenway park never had a problem