When is the Van build?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieseldave

Reaction score
I've heard that the "Van Build" is going to be held starting Nov. 1 in Bouse? Can anyone confirm this. I have searched this forum high and low and can't find any information on it. It's probably right in front of me but I can't find it. :)
Thanks for any information you have

Hey Dave.....It's the 7th.....don't go early......There's a seasoned CRVL group planning to camp together...…….."Pirate Camp"

I see you are new here …..I'll take a chance and invite you to our camp.....at least on the outskirts.....(Just Kidding !!)

The Bleeps in their big white bus...…..Sleep in her mini van...…...the Heron(s) in their Roadtrec…….I've got a tall Transit van...…..

Looks like Altruisticvanbuilder will also join us......VanKitten ?……WHO ELSE ?????

I've signed up as a Carpenter work station (at our camp...…using our collective power and tools)……….vs installing SOLAR

We usually "circle the wagons" around a fire pit and shade tarps...….mostly Quiet Old-Farts......a couple young'ins

Welcome to the forum...….doug

Hi Doug, Thanks for the invite to the "Pirate Camp" I should fit in nicely as I'm a "Quiet Old Fart" (70) I'll be in a 23 Tioga class C. I'll be bringing some mechanical tools, electrical soldering supplies, tools and connectors to fabricate some heavy duty battery cables if anyone needs some. I will also be arriving on the 8th or 9th so if anyone needs some parts or something picked up on the way in just let me know. I'll be driving down from the OC. I'll PM my cell phone number to you if you need something picked up. Thanks Again, Dave

Don't be discouraged by the pothole infested first bit of Shea Road. It smooths out quickly and it's an easy cruise to the site.

BEWARE OF JAMIES VAN BUILD
I have disabilities and was basically told Friday 11/2 not to show up looking for help now.
I was originally lead to believe they would a while ago. I was hurt and pissed off about it, very disgusted. they were disrespectful to say the least.
P.S. Yes I can back up my story.

I wish we could attend the van build! The timing is just not right for us now, because the restoration of our house (post-flood) is just getting done and we have a lot of details to see to before we can go anywhere. I hope those participating post videos of what they are doing! Best wishes to all!

Cyndi_AnamCaravan

"I haven't been everywhere but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag

I'm sorry for the poor reception you had....the official survey of projects was closed out on October 26th..….Did you ever complete a Survey ?....….there are about 7+ solar jobs to be completed EACH day...…besides all the fan installs and carpentry…....

You can't blame Jamie for closing out the number of projects...….the backscene logistics are pretty intense with assistants and surveys/spreadsheets and phone calls to all the attendees...…..And the packages are stacking up for the builds

And as Jamie recently stated......this is a "VAN" build.....NOT an RV remodel…..this year's projects appears to have some "bottomle$$ pit RV's"

We're here to support the "tribe" and volunteer our skills and time...………..we're already out in Craggy Wash doing projects every day
(There is so much ego and bravado at play out here......somebody's gonna poke out an eye waving those things around) 

The sound of generators and skill saws fill the air...…...along with laughter and music...……...and the smell of Food and Fire !!!!!

Soooo...……….why not just show up and meet some people...…camp out……...VOLUNTEER yourself...……..certainly there's something you would enjoy doing...……….

Look AndyTwoPosts/I don't know you BUT…….. I'll invite you to join us camping in Pirate Camp.……(what was it you wanted to be done ?)

Perhaps someone will be willing to help you with your project ...……….now or even after the official "build"

doug

I completed survey and was called by Terry, who canceled me.
I have a brand new class C motorhome which is 30amp/120V, has solar prep wiring...only add solar panels, solar controllers, lithium batteries, and inverter/charger large enough to do the same with existing generator only as a backup plus wiring....this was not a remodel, only additions fyi.
Don't assume you know the situation doug/abnorm. I need help, I cannot do the work of install myself since now disabled on fixed income.

I agree it is more about THEIR ego's now...youtube views aka revenues. Look at how many YT people are there having work done.
2100+miles one way is far to come now since it has started and I canceled the order. no guarantee I would get help installing what I need anyway. I could only handle driving 6 hours a day at 60mph. So it is a 3 day drive minimum for me.

think about what you are asking of me. so much for helping those that wanted to come out and become part of the tribe.

I think it is an admirable effort to help others and not just about bringing in $$$s. I can't begin to imagine putting myself through the stress of organizing and controlling such an event. Limited time, limited financial resources, limited number of volunteers, limited physical resources for tools and power supply. No doubt there is a huge list of persons wanting to have solar installed. Of course some persons will end up being turned away.

It is only a high profile event within a very limited segment of the population,. That segment are those who want to live inexpensively in RVs and who also happen to watch a lot of youtube. Of course some of the other youtube channel owners will show up, it is their community and some fof them do report on their communities activities and events as well as their own travels. But if you were in a town where a public event was being held you would also see other activist and even council members, charitable organization members and politicians within the community as well as the press showing up to participate, to meet and connect and possibly also to provide social media coverage as well. It is not something that is exclusive to the Van dwellers to see this type of activity surround a special event. It is not unusual behavior, it is normal behavior. But if you are not familiar with how such things get done then you might find it very unsettling to observe it for the first time.

Abnorm, that was a kind and generous offer. I appreciate you trying to help!

Von Brown...…..we're camped in "pirate camp" just before the main camping area...….You're welcome to camp with us of course

……...the main build site is extremely crowded...……….

doug

Thank you abnorm!
I will scope out the land when I arrive and see what we will see. It sounds like fun in the pirates camp me maty!
See ya thar and Ahoy!

Look on the bright side.

Not being forced to pay for 2100 miles one way of Class C gas guzzling will save enough money to pay for installing all those solar components on the brand new rig right at home. And one doesn't give those evil youtubers the satisfaction of doing the job, that's just a bonus.

Is the Pirate camp still active? What about after the build? I'll be traveling through tomorrow if not tonight.

Sometimes I feel so misunderstood.
In an effort to remedy a generator problem for a fellow vandweller, I discovered it wasn't getting any fuel. The owner stated that she just filled the tank. Ok, perhaps the fuel line is plugged. Ahh, I don't have a air compresser with me to check that theory.
Next I checked all fuel lines to the carburetor and the fuel bowl for any dirt and debris, I even had a small, computer size can of air. (You have surely seen them)
Still, no fuel from her onboard fuel tank.
So to speed things up as others were waiting, I suggested she provide 5 gallons of gasoline to test the fuel pump (which appeared to be new)
She said she would have her friend get some fuel.
It was late in the day and you would need to go into town.
I suggested she let me know when we have some fresh fuel and I could come back tomorrow.
I left not sure what she wanted to do.
I think she lost faith in me as I haven't heard from her since.

The fuel was for you, not me.
I had made such good progress in diagnosing your generator that I was very confident fresh fuel and bypassing your gas tank would get her running. Then you could still use the generator because I would run a hose from pump to fresh can of gas. You would need to refill the can more often (depending on how long you run the generator)
Anyways, my intent was to help you up, not tear you down.