What's your favorite mod/mods in you van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ilovemyvan said:
What is it that you use in your van that brings a smile every now and than?

My first thought was Cindy, (My favorite moderator)  ;) but then you clarified it. 

I have to say the solar power.  I can control the lightning with a touch of my finger, and I put it together myself.

cyndi said:
Wait!!! What???

I don't think he's actually saying you're in HIS van...

"What's your favorite mod/mods..." :p

Back to the original question, it seems to me that stuff like solar/water/etc are really common infrastructure items and the spirit of the thread would be better served by niche modifications. So to answer the question with that in mind, I have to say I'm pretty fond of my pee funnel...

In no particular order of smile-factor : )

• Hi Top for standup headroom
  • full time platform bed with great storage under
  • multifunction bathroom/shower closet
  • galley box on the Aluminess bumpers
AWDcurrent.jpg

: ) Thom

Ohhh, ever so hard to pick!!

But then I did an extensive list of mods to my van, none of which I would like to have to live without.

The high top is an absolute necessity.
The C-head toilet makes my life a whole lot easier, chemical free and cheaper to operate than any other toilet system out there.
I'm thoroughly enjoying my freezer and the fridge - humungous improvement over an ice cooler.
The kitchen layout works extremely well.
My bed fits me and is sinfully comfortable.

I could go on and on but those are some that make my life easy!

My Engel freezer/frig. It is great, and is easily powered by solaar or extra battery charged by truck or generator. It just sips electricity
can be 12 volt or 120 ac. Super quiet. Many other compressor units out there at all different prices to fit a budget.

Best Campor 99

My extra insulated, well ventilated Vitrifrigo c51is 12v compressor fridge and more than enough solar for it and my other electrical draws.

Removing the voltage regulator in my engine computer from duty, and replacing it with an external adjustable voltage regulator, having the adjustment dial on my dashboard is another favorite modification of mine. It, and my Solar, and my meanwell rsp-500-15 adjustable voltage power supply, keeps my only battery, hard working 90AH Northstar AGM, in swine in feces category and performing well with more than enough power for my needs.

My van has a TV top. not high enough to stand in, but I have 3 large surfboards up there, without it, it would be cramped.

This is fun. I can understand why fridges and freezers are popular with their owners. I'd love to have one too. It's difficult for us to justify the cost, we're part timing and don't even have solar or auxiliary battery. It would be an absolute must if we were full time.

If I was to ask this question to my husband he would answer without hesitation: the swivel passenger seat.

Me it would be the bed's retractable board and the swivel counter top.

(I apologize I can't show you the photos here, Google/Picasa are changing things and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'm suppose to do now, but the photos are still available on the link below. - What ever happened to "If it's not broken don't fix it"?)

It was silly to ask van owners only. What about cars, rv's, trucks owners. What bring a smile to your face every now and again? What's your pride and joy?

These answers might even help newcomers to choose there new rigs.

ilovemyvan said:
I LOVE your swivel counter top?!   :)  I'm talking IN LOVE here!   I'm going to have to have to figure out a mini-version for myself.  I looked at you photos on Picasa and enjoyed the journey of your conversion.  Your van looks amazing.  Thank you for sharing your story.
Gigi

Gigi said:
I LOVE your swivel counter top?!   :)  I'm talking IN LOVE here!   I'm going to have to have to figure out a mini-version for myself.  I looked at you photos on Picasa and enjoyed the journey of your conversion.  Your van looks amazing.  Thank you for sharing your story.
Gigi

I love your Ms. Violet. I'm looking forward to see what you will do with it. The idea of the swivel counter top came from Youtube. I think the guy's name was Kevin. He used a different swivel mechanism for the swiveling part. If I recall it was from a boat supply store. It might have been stronger than a lazy suzy. I didn't know where to find it so I settled for the lazy suzy. I always make sure not to put heavy stuff on the 'hanging' part of the counter.

If I may suggest something. You mentioned on earlier posts that you were going to do a few hours of computer work on a regular basis. My suggestion is to use the swivel counter as a work table as well as a kitchen counter. Ours is at an awkward height to do that. We should have planned that part a bit better.

Please keep us posted with your progress.

All the best

Nicole

My really plush bed. It makes me smile every night and sometimes during the day.

As I'm just starting to fill out my van I look forward to what more people have to say particularly about the little things - the nice topics. 

I'm going to have solar and a fridge but what's next after that?  

In mods I would also include things like limited slip differentials, suspension upgrades including really good shocks, specific kinds of interior shelving, adding windows, vent fans.....

I'd really like to have a good way to play music not using a boombox...Ideas there would be good. 

I meet a couple at the Rendevous - they said their favorite was the stand up outside shower they bought - they loved it. They also really appreciated the little oval windows in the back that let in more air - they felt they made a world of difference.

Love those Aluminness  bumpers by the way. They're not on the top of my list but they're definitely on it...:)

My 2 favorite:

*1000watt MSW inverter and an extra (total of 2) house battery.  Allows me to use the microwave and a toaster (not at same time) for short periods--without annoying my neighbors  with a generator.

*Removable outside solar screens for windshield,back and side windows.  Just returned from an Arizona trip and can't imagine boon-docking without them.  Greatly reduces heat gain, adds a lot of privacy (daytime) while still allowing one to look outside.   Also allows me to add a standard silver windshield sun shade--on the outside.   This is placed between solar screen and the glass--for additional privacy and shading.

JT646 said:
My 2 favorite:

*1000watt MSW inverter and an extra (total of 2) house battery.  Allows me to use the microwave and a toaster (not at same time) for short periods--without annoying my neighbors  with a generator.

*Removable outside solar screens for windshield,back and side windows.  Just returned from an Arizona trip and can't imagine boon-docking without them.  Greatly reduces heat gain, adds a lot of privacy (daytime) while still allowing one to look outside.   Also allows me to add a standard silver windshield sun shade--on the outside.   This is placed between solar screen and the glass--for additional privacy and shading.

That removable outisde solar screen sounds very intriguing. Where do you get it, Amazon? I don't think I ever heard of it.

Thanks in advance

The vent in my roof. It lets in light and fresh air, it cools the inside by probably 20°F, I can hear sounds outside the van more clearly, the screen keeps out mosquitoes and flies, and I can cover it with a black curtain if I want darkness. Only cost me about $35 to install. The best money I've ever spent!

My newest skookum addition is a Fellows monitor arm that I've modified to hold my tablet. Can use it lying in bed or sitting up. ..Willy.DSCF6024.JPGDSCF6025.JPGDSCF6026.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF6024.JPG
    DSCF6024.JPG
    1 MB
  • DSCF6025.JPG
    DSCF6025.JPG
    1 MB
  • DSCF6026.JPG
    DSCF6026.JPG
    1 MB
ilovemyvan said:
This is fun. I can understand why fridges and freezers are popular with their owners. I'd love to have one too. It's difficult for us to justify the cost, we're part timing and don't even have solar or auxiliary battery. It would be an absolute must if we were full time.

If I was to ask this question to my husband he would answer without hesitation: the swivel passenger seat.

(I apologize I can't show you the photos here, Google/Picasa are changing things and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'm suppose to do now, but the photos are still available on the link below. - What ever happened to "If it's not broken don't fix it"?)

It was silly to ask van owners only. What about cars, rv's, trucks owners. What bring a smile to your face every now and again? What's your pride and joy?

These answers might even help newcomers to choose there new rigs.

Beautiful van! The pics of the build out were VERY helpful!

Not having a fixed bed or couch, just a 4" thick foam trifold mattress on the floor. The floor having a layer of yoga mats and a soft removable rug on top.

You can then sit on the floor and lean on the folded mattress, fold out one section and sit on it like a couch without legs, or unfold it completely into a bed. It can be positioned to face forward or sideways. Sideways you can only unfold it into the couch-like position though.

When its folded up there are quite a few different ways to stow it. That makes it easy to use the van to haul larger things like firewood or a lot of groceries. You end up with more headroom too because you are pretty much living on the floor.

It would be ideal with a swivel passenger seat, that way you can actually get into a real sitting position at times.