What's in your Tool Box?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Bro

Reaction score
So I've just recently purchased an RV close to 50 years old (71 E300 Ford Mobile Camper)..  and am packing a tool box to always have on hand.

What would you say you use the most? Like your top 5 tools that you couldn't live without?

@Joe_Bro

You're going to need a lot more than a little box of tools for that rig. I'm a mechanic, and I carry everything I could possibly need, too much by most standards, but that's me. You are going to need all of the basics. A good set of sockets, both 3/8 and 1/2 drive with rachets and extensions, combination wrench, set to 1" along with a few metrics. Pliers, vice grips, needle nose, and side cutters for a start. Screwdrivers, hammers, at least one good ball peen, and a pry bar or two. A good hydraulic jack is a must with a heavy-duty 4-way tire iron. Duck Tape, fix-a-flat, WD-40, a good flashlight/LED work light. A good multimeter. Hand cleaner and lots of rags. Wire cutters, wire strippers, electrical tape, wire nuts and connectors, a good selection, and if you solder, it's a handy item to have too. And I could go on.

Lol, . . . Wolf, your tool box sounds like mine! I even have repeats in any other rig that I own, and I'm not including wood working tools, landscaping tools, etc.
Even so I had to buy a set of torque bits/sockets (what do they call them when they go on a driver?) to replace an idler pulley on my '93, E350 yesterday.

number one must have tool is a shovel, then the tools to change a tire. from there the sky is the limit. highdesertranger

speedhighway46 said:
The most effective toolbox is a cell phone.
I go loads of places that the cell signal is nonexistent. And even if it did work it usually results in handing out money.
Everyone is different, but I don't live this way to count on others.

I probably use my 10 in one screwdriver the most.I agree with these guys. I have a rolling 3 tier tool chest. The top is all my hand tools. Pliers. Linesman. Channel locks. Electrical testers. Various types of tape. Wire strippers. Etc... the middle compartment is like a tacklebox I use to keep screws, connectors, hardware, the bottom is where I keep the bigger stuff and more parts like wire, chains, bungie straps. Caulk gun. Hammer. Trough. Not that I ever need the trough for van repairs lol.

Ps definitely get a socket kit

I also have a big dewalt duffle bag full of cordless tools that is slowly growing.

I recently picked up one of them cordless dewalt wet/dry vacs and I fing love that thing so much. I can't imagine life without it. My rig is so much cleaner.

I would say 10 in 1 or cordless drill
Utility knife
Needle nose/pliers
Socket kit
Cutter/strippers

I always have a corkscrew in my toolbox.You never know when a party might break out.

I have two 3 drawer mobile boxes and 2 15" bags full. I had to buy a $50 swivel head long reach ratchet the other day to change power steering belt.

To properly work on a vehicle mechanics have very large roller boxes for a reason.

If i were you id buy the biggest kit box i could afford and thats just a start.

gsfish said:
. . . and a piece of cardboard to lay on while working under the vehicle.

Guy

I've found I prefer a canvas drop cloth. It's not so slippery (I hate when I slide away trying to tighten something) and folds up smaller. Plus I can find multiple uses for it.

Apart from stone working hand tools and what others have mention I've found an infrared temp sensor gun handy for helping diagnose bearing, tyres, brakes and cooling problems.

I you have the tools sorted now it time to make up a spares list for the 71 RV.

This is what I worked on, and these are small V-10s, 10,000 BHP at 290 rpm. These TCVC-10s were made by Clark Brothers, Olean, New York in 1932.  Clark made them up to 20 cylinders and 20,000 BHP: these are a massive beast. They are integral gas engine compressors, pipeline units that move natural gas all over the country. You might have been driving along somewhere and noticed a series of long metal buildings lined down one side with big two or three-story exhaust stacks. Those are compressor booster stations. The three are outside of Damon, Texas, and move gas to the Houston Power & Light turbines in Clear Lake form offshore oil and gas platforms. You will have these compressors about every 150 miles or so to maintain pipeline presser. I ran the crews, and we went all the world working these and many others make and configurations. I also spent five years with GE working on up to Frame 7 gas turbine generators. I carried some dangerous tools around with me too. Ever handle an IR 1.5-inch spline drive impact wrench while inside a crankcase? It's a trip I can assure you.

Attachments

• damon_tx_tcv_a05.gif
    damon_tx_tcv_a05.gif
    306.7 KB · Views: 6
  • damon_tx_tcv_a04.gif
    damon_tx_tcv_a04.gif
    411.5 KB · Views: 3
  • damon_tx_tcv_a10.gif
    damon_tx_tcv_a10.gif
    227.1 KB · Views: 3
  • damon_tx_tcv_a08.gif
    damon_tx_tcv_a08.gif
    321.4 KB · Views: 4
  • damon_tx_tcv_a02.gif
    damon_tx_tcv_a02.gif
    462.7 KB · Views: 3
  • damon_tx_tcv_a13.gif
    damon_tx_tcv_a13.gif
    249.2 KB · Views: 4
LowTech said:
I've found I prefer a canvas drop cloth. It's not so slippery (I hate when I slide away trying to tighten something) and folds up smaller. Plus I can find multiple uses for it.

^That right there is the tip of the year. Leave folded to kneel on too. When done just pick it up, shake it out and fold to store. I'm cutting up an old paint tarp to a 4x8 size as soon as the sun wakes up. :thumbsup:

rokguy said:
Apart from stone working hand tools and what others have mention I've found an infrared temp sensor gun handy for helping diagnose bearing, tyres, brakes and cooling problems.

I you have the tools sorted now it time to make up a spares list for the 71 RV.

Even more useful is using it on a manifold to see if all cylinders are equal.

Special tools - vacuum gauge, fuel pressure tester if efi, compression gauge if older vehicle, OBD I/II

Also carrying common spare parts; water pump, fuel pump (probablly need good snap ring pliers), alternator and belt(s), hard brake line with cutting, bending, and flair tool or compression fittings, rubber brake line, any sensor that your model may have a common problem with.

Overkill but extremely nice to have; lithium brushless 1/2 impact, breaker bar, torch head, penetrating oil, 6" C-clamp, 4-5" cutting tool, quality tap and die set, quality jack, torque wrench, hammer impact, special bit kit

Cajunwolf said:
@Joe_Bro

You're going to need a lot more than a little box of tools for that rig. I'm a mechanic, and I carry everything I could possibly need, too much by most standards, but that's me. You are going to need all of the basics. A good set of sockets, both 3/8 and 1/2 drive with rachets and extensions, combination wrench, set to 1" along with a few metrics. Pliers, vice grips, needle nose, and side cutters for a start. Screwdrivers, hammers, at least one good ball peen, and a pry bar or two. A good hydraulic jack is a must with a heavy-duty 4-way tire iron. Duck Tape, fix-a-flat, WD-40, a good flashlight/LED work light. A good multimeter. Hand cleaner and lots of rags. Wire cutters, wire strippers, electrical tape, wire nuts and connectors, a good selection, and if you solder, it's a handy item to have too. And I could go on.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Wow yeah its a tough choice on what to bring with an old truck like that. I would say if the truck is fully restored (at least the drive train) you may be able to cut down some of that list. Im a product nerd, love to head off disasters... I never leave home without "Slime" (long term tire sealant, fix a flat for quick flats if you dont have air), "SUGRU" silicone putty, silicone tape for any leaks & MORE uses.... I would recommend redline engine coolant booster or some other brand in any hard working rig ESP in hot weather, it works. As with any products it pays to learn how to use them, what their limits are etc... Last year i helped a poor bastard by the side of the road with a blown headgasket... He was going to junk the car, told him to try "K seal", for about $13 its worth a chance since your about to junk it....It worked! It was a crap shoot but i like to carry "K seal" just in case. The #1 cause of break down is coolant probs so be prepared for all coolant probs. Happy Trails

Elbear1 said:
Even more useful is using it on a manifold to see if all cylinders are equal.

Special tools - vacuum gauge, fuel pressure tester if efi, compression gauge if older vehicle, OBD I/II

Also carrying common spare parts; water pump, fuel pump (probablly need good snap ring pliers), alternator and belt(s), hard brake line with cutting, bending, and flair tool or compression fittings, rubber brake line, any sensor that your model may have a common problem with.

Overkill but extremely nice to have; lithium brushless 1/2 impact, breaker bar, torch head, penetrating oil, 6" C-clamp, 4-5" cutting tool, quality tap and die set, quality jack, torque wrench, hammer impact, special bit kit
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
absolutely carry extra parts. If you know your rigs repair history its easier to figure out what to bring. These dayz 3rd world country Alternator, starter etc... are crap so def carry spares. If you really want to buy better elec parts send out an old one to a USA shop for a quality rebuild. happy trails

Thanks - oh, I have a rolling tool box and a TON of tools at home... but Im hoping to not be at home that much now that we have the RV...  and so it's a smaller RV where there isn't a lot of space to carry tons and tons of tools...  so I'm trying to pack what I may need and definitely need (but hopefully not of course if that makes sense)