What's in your kitchen?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevesgonewalkabout

Reaction score
Hey all, 

I'm putting together a van conversion and as part of the electrical system I bought a 600w PSW inverter. Now I realise that may be very small to power any kitchen appliances. Having a gas stove is all well and good, but some morning you just want a slice of toast right? 

Can you helpful people list your favourite low wattage appliances? As mundane or exotic as you like. a 1500w microwave is probably no use to me! 

Thanks all

stevesgonewalkabout said:
Hey all, 

I'm putting together a van conversion and as part of the electrical system I bought a 600w PSW inverter. Now I realise that may be very small to power any kitchen appliances. Having a gas stove is all well and good, but some morning you just want a slice of toast right? 

Can you helpful people list your favourite low wattage appliances? As mundane or exotic as you like. a 1500w microwave is probably no use to me! 

Thanks all

Hello,  I've only been a member since 12/25/15 so I am the wrong one to answer this as I am currently an apt. dweller.   Have you looked in the "Electrical: generators, solar and batteries" forum?  There are over 50 pages of threads there.  I know there have been many postings on these subjects including appliances and how much elec. some of them use.  Maybe this will help some.  Good Luck on your quest.        Texas Jbird

Hey all, 

I'm putting together a van conversion and as part of the electrical system I bought a 600w PSW inverter. Now I realize that may be very small to power any kitchen appliances. Having a gas stove is all well and good, but some morning you just want a slice of toast right? 

Thanks all

For that toast you want - use a Coleman camp stove toaster - they fold flat to about 3/4", are cheap to buy and can be had in any W/M camping equipment dept.

The only small electrical appliances I brought along were an immersion blender and a small food chopper. Neither have been used in the first 6 months but I still think I need to have them at hand. Each will run off of a 200 W inverter.

My favorite kitchen appliance that is new is the butane stove I bought. My counter space wasn't quite big enough to handle the 2 burner propane stove and leave room for prep work. The butane, while more costly to run than the propane, is wonderful. I can set it up on the counter and still have lots of room for prepping dinner. It packs wonderfully for travelling and is great for when the weather or location don't allow for cooking outdoors.

Almost There said:
For that toast you want - use a Coleman camp stove toaster - they fold flat to about 3/4", are cheap to buy and can be had in any W/M camping equipment dept.

I have one of these and use it every time I camp, works fantastic.

And they're cheap too. Just a couple of bucks. That's the way toast was done before electric ones came along.

Kitchen appliances....solar...and invertors....usually depends on "What's In Your Wallet?"

WildTrappist said:
Slice of toast? Roasting fork, Propane bottle with torch tip attached. Voila'!

My thoughts precisely. Heat is made in many ways more easily than with electricity! I understand there's a learning curve there for people transitioning away from brick and mortar life, but, the learning curve includes high electrical draw appliances like toasters becoming obsolete...

I really enjoy cooking, and a couple years ago getting into the vehicle life, I was afraid that was going to be a source of difficulty for me. It isn't. I travel with a stove top, cast iron, dutch oven, pressure cooker, grill... I don't have an oven, but I never baked anyway. The only thing I sometimes miss is a slow cooker, so I have to get someone else to make my St. Patrick's day meal.

A blowtorch is much more versatile than a toaster!

Mr. Coffee 4 cup coffee maker = 535 watts. (Label says 600)

Igloo brand thermal Electric cooler. It was cheap, and it kept fresh food reasonably cold in my van in 100 degree heat for two days. Its 12V and used like 4amps.

All I had was 200AH of batteries, 100watt solar, and a 1000watt inverter.

That's all the electrical appliances I had when I was still living in a van. Didn't see the need for a microwave, and the such.

Hi from my camping experience a Melita drip filter or a French Press works great for coffee. Also I second the Coleman toaster works great. none of these require electricity. Bast

Look up a bachelors toaster. It is single slice and pulls 400w. We use the coffee maker, microwave and even a hotplate but no toaster.

We have the camp stove toaster, before that it was a coffee can with both ends taken out and wire on one end to hold the bread. One slice at a time but faster than the campstove toaster.

TMG51 said:
. The only thing I sometimes miss is a slow cooker, so I have to get someone else to make my St. Patrick's day meal.

A blowtorch is much more versatile than a toaster!

In place of the slow cooker, have you considered a solar oven?  (Maybe too bulky to transport.)

Fantastic suggestions, thanks everyone!

I'm putting together a list of suggestions for when the time comes, and I can honestly say the toaster is covered. Any other appliances (even ones that don't toast bread) are more than welcome. :D

Tjaybird said:
 Hello,  I've only been a member since 12/25/15 so I am the wrong one to answer this as I am currently an apt. dweller.   Have you looked in the "Electrical: generators, solar and batteries" forum?  There are over 50 pages of threads there.  I know there have been many postings on these subjects including appliances and how much elec. some of them use.  Maybe this will help some.  Good Luck on your quest.        Texas Jbird

http://www.walmart.com/ip/35395560?...0642434&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=176026403074&veh=sem

heres your toaster

Fantastic suggestions, thanks everyone!

I'm putting together a list of suggestions for when the time comes, and I can honestly say the toaster is covered. Any other appliances (even ones that don't toast bread) are more than welcome. :D

a propane stove and a 12 volt eletrical setup would be the way to go!!!

ggwoman said:
And they're cheap too. Just a couple of bucks.  That's the way toast was done before electric ones came along.

I tried this and don't particularly love it.  Plus it seems to get some of the un burnt fuel taste on the bread.  I think the original way toast was done was in a frying pan with a little butter spread on it.  That's the way I do it at home and on the road.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I tried this and don't particularly love it.  Plus it seems to get some of the un burnt fuel taste on the bread.  I think the original way toast was done was in a frying pan with a little butter spread on it.  That's the way I do it at home and on the road.

Ohhhh.. you just reminded me of my neighbor's grandmother.  She made the WORLD'S BEST TOAST.  Still not sure how but she'd butter if first, and use the broiler. :)

I bet a skillet (iron, especially) would come close!  Thanks

Wow. We are really focusing on the toast here. I didn't realise just how important toast was to the RV community!

Maybe I got so excited cause I rarely eat bread anymore. ?

Latest posts