What's for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m using safari...it won’t let me upload photos here on my laptop, but it lets me on my iPhone....on my laptop I go to Chrome to post photos... maybe try a different browser ?   That sure is strange when you could do it before....

I didn’t have anything to eat all day... was at the V.A. all afternoon... so when I got outta there I stopped at a nice neighborhood restaurant for a burger & fries

Attachments

• E8A51F47-FE3A-4BC5-A77B-56534A2AED2B.jpeg
    E8A51F47-FE3A-4BC5-A77B-56534A2AED2B.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 5
Looks good! I was at the VA on Tuesday and indulged in a burger myself. I don't know what's going on w the site but I had to override my security to post this. The site admin might want to look into what's going on...

Cheers!

weird   how about clearing your caches ???

How to Fix Your Connection is Not Secure in Firefox
1 Make Sure Date and Time are Correct. Security certificates are used by our web browsers and computers to make sure a particular site is safe. ...
2 Clearing the Browser History and Cache. ...
3 Try the Webpage Again.

How to Fix Your Connection is Not Secure in Firefox - Support ...

https://www.support.com/how-to/how-to-fix-your-connection-is-not-secure-in-firefox-12881

Good suggestion! However, I have the browser set on deleting everything when I sign off... I hate technology when it doesn't work!

:D

Good evening all.

Tonight I went around the OTHER side of the world from Germany and that huge Schlacht Platter I put together the other night. Delicious with spicy brown mustard and meerrettich but HEAVY! I was definitely in the mood for something lighter tonight. I had taken out a package of ground chicken to defrost the other night and I was casting about for something to do with it - I spent a lot of time outside today - what a gorgeous day- and I noticed my mint is sprouting like crazy already (once you get it in your garden it's all over but luckily I love the stuff and use tons of it) and my lemon grass survived the winter in good shape (I bring it inside when needed). I also had some cilantro left and a couple of serranos.

What that said to me was: Thai Chicken Salad wraps! All I needed was to go and get hearts of romaine and a couple limes and that was it. The recipe is super simple to put together - just a lot of chopping, poach the ground chicken, put it in a bowl, add all the herbs and the dressing (fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar, salt, pepper, and chile pepper powder). Toss well, let marinate, then heap on romaine spears with slices of serrano and Sriracha sauce. DELISH! It's got such a great herbaceous PUNCH to it. However I'll probably be paying for it manana... Big Grin

I'm hoping that my pictures post tonight, if not, I'm not sure what else I can do? Hope everyone has a good and filling dinner tonight and stay safe out there!

Cheers!

Tried a different browser here and it worked. Albeit very slowly.

Attachments

• IMGP0142.JPG
    IMGP0142.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0143.JPG
    IMGP0143.JPG
  • IMGP0144.JPG
    IMGP0144.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Crofter,

this is my meat slicer. It really compacts to a small size and it's very handy to have.

Attachments

• IMGP0134.JPG
    IMGP0134.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMGP0136.JPG
    IMGP0136.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMGP0137.JPG
    IMGP0137.JPG
  • IMGP0138.JPG
    IMGP0138.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMGP0139.JPG
    IMGP0139.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Yesterday ( every year) I helped out at a large institutional Easter charity meal. Had a lot of fun and tried to give something back. I WILL give back anyone trying to foist ham off on me for quite a while though. Baked 6 large pineapple glazed hams for the dinner(good thing we had large ovens). The recipe is from Donald Link, the James Beard Award winner who's based in NOLA. Delicious but I don't wanna look at ham for a while! :s

So tonite, went with super simple. Chargrilled burgers with the works dressed w spicy brown and leftover curry sauce (no fries). Worked very well together. Been a long day working in the yard. Spring cleanup is always SO much fun... :D Hope everybody has a great dinner themselves.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMGP0145.JPG
    IMGP0145.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Leftover meatballs from Easter dinner.

Swedish Meatballs
1 pound ground beef
1 pound lamb
2 slices bread cubed
2 eggs
Allspice
Nutmeg
1/2 onion minced
---------------------------
Olive oil to fry in
OG Better than Boullion beef base for gravy
Flour
Water 1 quart

Set pot of water 1 quart on stove to simmer, add base.
Mix well ingredients above the line & form into small meatballs by teaspoons. Fry in oil turning on all sides. When firm, transfer to pot with 1 quart water simmering. Will need to fry in two batches. 
Time meatballs to simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

In fry pan, make roux with drippings, flour, and oil. Add water stirring to desired consistency and pour over meatballs. Thicken over heat for 5 minutes.

That's good meatballs! 
For Italian style substitute Italian spice for the Swedish spice, & add garlic.
-crofter

Sounds good! Oddly (or maybe not) IKEA store's cafeterias serve surprisingly good "Sveedish" meatballs, but if you have Italian meatballs then you can say: "Atsa SPICEE Meataball"!!! I loved that commercial... :D

This thread is too dangerous for me. It makes me hungry when I shouldn't be for things I shouldn't eat.

Today, I made seitan for the first time ever. Made brown gravy with onions and mushrooms for over the top, and had half a sweet potato on the side. Not fancy or even great, but satisfying AND I'm getting healthier by the day :)

How is seitan? I've always wanted to try it. I was vegetarian for 6 months or so and then went vegan for about another 6 months and in that entire year or so I wasn't eating meat I never had any oddly enough.

A couple years ago I was planning to move to Europe for 6 months and live in a bedsit I found in Birmingham UK which was gonna be my jump off point for my travels and I found a restaurant I wanted to try in London I think. It was called Temple of Seitan. Clever name :p

XERTYX said:
How is seitan? I've always wanted to try it.
It was just ok. The texture was satisfying. The only flavor was the seasonings mixed into the dough. In future attempts, I'll be throwing tons more umami into the dough. I'm rhinking it might be at its best made into imposters of highly spiced processed meats, such as pepperoni and hot sausages.

Ravella,

have you tried tempeh? It's a very good protein substitute and available at a lot of Asian and health food stores. You can do some fantastic stuff w it. I have an old Indonesian cookbook with lots of tempeh recipes. Here's a couple similar recipes from the net

Tempeh stew:

https://whattocooktoday.com/tempeh-stew-gulai-tempeh.html

Recommend you sub the green beans with any leafy greens, also leave out the shrimp paste and sub a long peel of lemon rind if you can't get lemon grass. Kaffir lime leaves can be left out too. 1" of ginger root peeled and finely chopped can sub for the galangal and add some fresh cracked pepper.

Spicy fried tempeh is super ono and do the same with subbing ginger root for galangal and leave out the shrimp paste as well.

https://whattocooktoday.com/sambal-goreng-tempeh.html

Aloha!

So tonight I had some chargrilled burgers left and I was trying to decide what to do w them. Another long day coupled with a grueling phiz therapy session (don't ask, comes with being a dumb*ss and jumping out of airplanes for decades). So didn't feel like a lot of cooking. However, I was really HUNGRY! Sooooo. Doing something I rarely do now, I cooked up a pot of Japanese style medium grain rice (watching those starches), made some mushroom gravy (local style w Asian components for extra umami - a little fish sauce, shoyu, and dashi- just a touch but makes a huge difference in the flavor profile), and heated up a couple of patties, and fried a soft set egg for......... (drumroll) The MIGHTY Loco Moco! The ultimate in local comfort grindz (food). 2 scoops rice with 2 hamburger patties, smothered in gravy w a runny egg on top!

This was originally conceived to feed hungry high school football players in Hilo on the Big Island but it's part of the Hawaii local cuisine landscape now and is eaten all over the islands at any time day or night and the restaurant with the best version is as highly contested as American Idol. Seriously, you want to start a fist fight at 2 am in the morning in a drunk food kau kau line? Just start an argument over who has the best Loco Moco in town (just ask Ravella)... There are dozens of versions out there but I always liked the classic (except for the mushroom gravy - the original has only brown gravy) and when I'm in the mood for comfort food, this is as good as it gets! I served it with a side of quick kimchee and a cold brew (too bad it's not Primo). The only thing I was missing was a side of potato mac salad but it's too much starch for a seriously heavy load of food... Still, I WHACKED that plate down in record time... :D

Hope all of you out there have a good and tasty dinner tonight.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMGP0146.JPG
    IMGP0146.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMGP0147.JPG
    IMGP0147.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
I have actual dreams featuring loco moco from Hanalima Baking in Lihue. Once you find your loco moco dealer, er.. eatery, no other place can make it quite right for you.

Oh WHY do I keep opening this thread??? Way too many high calorie high saturated fat temptations here! I'm afraid I'll gain weight just reading!

Tempeh is on my grocery list for pickup. At Wal-Mart. In Pahrump lol

Mattar tofu and fried rice. Feeling a little indochinese cuisine today.

Fried tofu cubes in English pea curry served with homemade fried rice.

Ravella and X said:
I have actual dreams featuring loco moco from Hanalima Baking in Lihue. Once you find your loco moco dealer, er.. eatery, no other place can make it quite right for you.

Oh WHY do I keep opening this thread??? Way too many high calorie high saturated fat temptations here! I'm afraid I'll gain weight just reading!

Tempeh is on my grocery list for pickup. At Wal-Mart. In Pahrump lol

It's hard to get away from those local comfort foods isn't it? You have no idea the struggle I have in the mornings to NOT open a can of Spam, get out the eggs, and fire up the rice cooker! I could whack a serious mixed Teri BBQ Bento w the works everyday for lunch too. When it comes to healthy though, I really do try to stick to my Paleo diet and limit my starches which means white Gohan... Really tough for a person of Japanese heritage (I'm Hapa) - can't stand brown rice - tried and tried but NOPE. So I usually settle for quinoa... EXCEPT for some things like Loco Moco - it would be HERESY to sub quinoa for that.

I actually voted in the poll for the "Best 5" below. My fave for Loco Moco's is the Liliha Bakery's (the original on Liliha streeet - NOT the one in the old Sam Choy's on Nimitz). It's the gravy! Sadly, the Like Like Drive Inn closed last year due to COVID craziness... Can't believe that they and a bunch of others went down - did you know that Love's Bakery just closed too???. Last major bakery in the state... My fave bakery in Kaneohe (I'm from Kahalu'u just outside of town) did too... This whole pandemic thing had BETTER not be a FRICKIN hoax is all I can say...

https://www.honolulumagazine.com/best-loco-mocos-in-hawaii-our-top-5/

What I REALLY miss!

Best Japanese Mom and Pop takeouts...

https://www.honolulumagazine.com/best-okazuyas-on-oahu-our-top-5/

XERTYX said:
Mattar tofu and fried rice. Feeling a little indochinese cuisine today.

Fried tofu cubes in English pea curry served with homemade fried rice.

Almost like Paneer and Peas Indian style huh? Very tasty. My wife really liked that...

Cheers!

So,today's dinner had to be something a little liter than the major league gut bombs I've been chowing on for a week now (I guess when your bod wants something, the cravings won't go away till it get it). I had some ground pork that was coming up on 6 months in the freezer so it was time to use it but what to do? I've been all over the map food wise except for Mexican and Central American so I looked for something in that direction. Gypsy has been posting some very tasty pix of her fish tacos and I haven't had tacos in a while so I decided on some chorizo tacos for dinner tonite.

First, I had to make up a batch of my homemade pork chorizo taco filling (LOTS of extra chile powder please). Then a lot of chopping for the toppings - including a Yucatan favorite - red onions and cilantro marinated in fresh lime juice and a little salt. If you haven't ever had this you do not know what you're missing on tacos, chilli, eggs, - you name it - Killa! Tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream to offset the heat of the Mayan Recipe Yucateca hot sauce. it's literally a 1000 year old Mayan recipe that will knock your socks off. If you want to taste what Pre-Columbians were spicing up their beans, succotash, and baked turkeys, and Chihuahua's with, then try this! All finished off with my home canned serranos and carrots in escabeche (canned in an old pickle jar :))

I gotta say it was MUY deliciosa although I'm sure I'll be paying for it in the morning (if not sooner)! Half the fun is just making them. I have enough corn tortillas left over for a good batch of chiliquiles tomorrow (I'm sure you folks out there in the SW know what those are) and I'll dump all the leftover stuff in there too (I'm a glutton for punishment).I had a little strawbeery ice cream for desert to settle down all that heat (not homemade - I finished my last batch of Coconut, Peach, and Banana a while ago and don't dare make more since I'd EAT it). A scoop of fruit ice cream blended w rice milk make a splendid cheater's horchata by the way...

Hope all you have a great dinner and a full belly tonight!

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMGP0149.JPG
    IMGP0149.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMGP0152.JPG
    IMGP0152.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMGP0151.JPG
    IMGP0151.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMGP0148.JPG