What's for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
How to Caramelize Onions in Record Time

Thanks JCT.  I knew about the water tip, but never heard of the baking soda one.  

Oddly enough, I first heard about the water tip while watching an episode of America's Test Kitchen, the same people who put out this video.  But in the show, they didn't mention the baking soda.  

Personally, I use soy sauce both to help caramelize (all the salt does it) and to add liquid to help break down onion cell walls, as well as to help deglaze the bottom of the pan.

advances in the physics / chemistry of cooking have really been accelerating in recent years

Chili and cornbread!

I cheat - it was in the freezer, it's defrost and heat dinner this time. I make a big batch and freeze it in single size portions... :)

I made venison chili today. Nice hot bowl of chili with cheese on a cold day. Nothing better.

^^I'm with you on eating leftovers. I froze all the rest of the soup last night in pint jars. It's nice on days when I just don't have the energy to cook, to just defrost something. And I never really got used to just cooking single portions, so I still cook the same amount as before, I just eat 8-10 times.

Tonight im making Spanish rice. I never did it in a slow cooker before, so we'll see how that goes.

Speaking of slow cookers, does anyone else make their caramelized onions in their slow cooker? I started doing that way a few years ago, 5 lbs of onions at a time, and then freezing them in smaller portions (ice cubes, freezer bags). I haven't done it since I moved into the trailer though. I did find that having them premade made adding them to everything from eggs to pizza to steak to toasted bagels and cream cheese really convenient, so I used to eat a lot of caramelized onions on everything. Man, I'm making myself hungrier.

Here's a link that shows pretty close to the method I used, I leave the lid cracked the last half of the cooking time to evaporate the juice. https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-ca...cooker-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193413

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

I have the same problem, really only cooking for one but instead end up with enough for six. :(

I have a vacuum sealer, and also freeze individual portions so I otherwise don’t have to eat something til I’m sick of it, or throw it out because I am.

It’s good to have MRE’s in the freezer, but I always have a goal of learning to cook smaller quantities.

Had chicken fried deer backstrap,mashed potatos and gravy,green bean cassarole,home made cranberry sauce and wop biscuits.

I've started trying to cook enough each night for dinner to have leftovers for lunch the next day and i usually put it in my Hot Logic Mini in the morning to have heated by lunch. Works great for me when cooking for 1!

Tonight, grilled ham & cheese sandwich. Black Forest ham, cheddar, Italian bread.

With appropriate dishes, I always cook for a dozen no matter how many are eating the next meal.

Freeze flat in labelled ziplocs, save the cooking time when it's not convenient or you just feel lazy.

Helps keep the budget down to $1-2 per meal, and you eat much healthier and tastier food than buying anything pre-prepared.

AMGS3 said:
5 lbs of onions at a time, and then freezing them in smaller portions (ice cubes, freezer bags). I haven't done it since I moved into the trailer though. I did find that having them premade made adding them to everything from eggs to pizza to steak to toasted bagels and cream cheese really convenient, so I used to eat a lot of caramelized onions on everything. 

Sounds like a great idea, Angie.  Caramelized onions really are tremendous flavor boosters.  Never thought of putting them in ice cube trays.  That does sound like a quick and handy thing to do for small portions.

JCT, I do the same. I'm willing to make a big production out of cooking if it results in multiple meals, because then the time spent per meal quickly becomes very reasonable. And making it myself, I can keep it more healthy, with more of the flavors I like and very little of the stuff I don't like, like too much sugar or salt.

Plus having good home-made food at hand takes away the temptation to eat junk food. I can eat much better, healthier food if I make it myself, and it's much cheaper, too.

Nothing better than reaching in your freezer and grabbing one of your own homemade tv dinners.

So, yesterday I learned one way that doesn't work for making spanish rice, lol. I did freeze a couple of portions of it because hell if I'll throw away "good" food just because it has a strange texture. More than half of the rice had a baby cereal puree texture. Like eating spanish rice flavored mashed potatoes.

So, the leftovers of that got thrown into a pot with some beef, onion & garlic, corn, a can of rotel tomatoes and green chilies, kidney beans, and beef broth. I'm thinking a tortilla soup kind of deal, with disintegrated rice to thicken it instead of tortillas. We'll see. So far it smells delish.

~angie

Yes, rice in any form doesn't have the same texture after freezing so I use leftovers for stir fried rice or anything else that will help disguise it.

Couscous freezes and defrosts well without a loss of texture but it seldom makes it to my freezer. I use the leftover in a salad by adding finely chopped  red onion, green pepper to it and toss with a very small amount of a zesty lime vinaigrette dressing...yummmmm!

Chilli cheese (shredded chedar) dogs and sun brewed sweet tea!!! Great on a night it will go below freezing.

Lots of my frozen leftovers end up going into the current pot o' soup or stew, almost always in progress in winter.

But real brown rice, if you don't overcook it first time 'round, keeps its texture and great nutty taste more than the processed versions.

And stir-fry "melange" is a great final destination for nearly anything, either a mixed rice one-pot, or a filling to go into flatbread rollups or an omelette, over potato or couscous. . .

Re using that rice as a thickener, do you have a blender? That might work.

You can also fry rice patties.

I do have a blender, but the leftover rice was already really soft when I added it to the soup. It turned out really good, actually.

I use leftover rice (usually wild, but sometimes brown) to make "rice eggs and bacon." I grew up eating this often but every deer season we'd have it for opening day breakfast. The method is simple, chop and brown bacon, into the pan add your precooked rice, stir well until heated through, add eggs, enough for 2 for each person plus one 'for the pan' (what can I say, that's how my Gram cooked [emoji4]). Stir until eggs are cooked through.

If using wild rice it will turn the eggs just a bit green. We always had real wild rice, not that paddy rice, ugh. The real stuff is definitely worth it. Not trying to sound like a rice snob, I realize lake rice is not available everywhere.

Have you ever made rice patties before? If yes, how do you do it? Is it something you make yo use up leftovers or do you make it intentionally first?

~angie

I like to make rice pudding with leftover rice.

Cover rice with milk in a saucepan, heat slowly, add a little sugar to taste.

The rice will absorb some of the milk and soften.

When it looks done, beat an egg or two and stir in to cook and thicken, add a little vanilla and allow to cool.

Makes a great breakfast, good warm or cold. :)

Latest posts