What your dog can see that you cannot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok I can believe the ultraviolet light part but, but farts and the magnetic field of the earth. I don't know about that. highdesertranger

I would love to see farts! Not because of any fetish, but because I would always know who the the secret one fly!

Ghosts

Beef jerkey through a led lined box

The mailman 5 blocks away

It can also tell when the bath is being drawn for them, and when you are going to take them to the vet.   ;)

GotSmart said:
It can also tell when the bath is being drawn for them, and when you are going to take them to the vet.   ;)

And how the heck do they actually know this is one of life's great mysteries.  

My dog also knows which wrapper crinkle is something i'll give him some of and which ones I won't.  If I'm opening a candy wrapper he won't even lift his head because I wont feed him candy.  But open a ham, egg, and cheese from Dunkin donuts and he's at full attention.

Every Road Leads Home said:
My dog also knows which wrapper crinkle is something i'll give him some of and which ones I won't.
That might have more to do with their nose. If an item sits in a container for any length of time, the odor will penetrate the wrapper. They are not waiting for you to tell them what is inside. They already know.

My dogs love going to the vet; I have one of the world's best vet clinics in my town, just for the people more than anything (although they do have some state-of-the-art equipment too).

My dog knows my routes to certain places and freaks out if there is any deviation. That is going to be bridge I will have to cross once I start full timing. I have no idea how much of it is sight and how much of it is smell but she KNOWS. And she knows when I turn from the usual route up to the lake to go to the vet and I know she knows where we are going because she doesn't freak out but instead just gets all sad and depressed. Poor thing. She doesn't like going to get shots.

So, when Fido starts peeing with his head pointed opposite from normal, we'll know that the Earth's magnetic poles have swapped again.... :cool:

(Those with dogs, please take a compass with you on yer next walk and see which way his/her head faces.)   :rolleyes:

I looked some of that stuff up at a more *cough* reliable site. They actually line themselves up w/the N/S axis when they poop; when they pee, they line themselves us with the telephone pole.

Some of the things they can supposedly see wouldn't likely interest a dog: paintings, banana spots, glow-in-the-dark tattoos, money, quinine water, etc. Their night sky is probably only useful when breezes pass along an interesting scent.

But with a creature that has a sense of smell 70,000 times better than ours, and CAN see far better with ultraviolet, it makes me sad to see a dog on the end of a chain for most of its life.

Cry said:
I would love to see farts! Not because of any fetish, but because I would always know who the the secret one fly!

When I worked in a "Clean room" the joke was "How can you tell the worker farted?" The answer is "Watch for when the suit expands rapidly"

the north south thing is BS. I have been observing since I read the story. highdesertranger

My dog is most definitely a better judge of character than I am. When I had a cabinet shop, I had a few employees. I had several who were at least OK, and Scout got super excited when they came in. But one was shady, and Scout would cower in the corner and growl. For the record, he doesn't discriminate by race.

Sure enough, the shady one stole my best cordless drill and marked my building with his tag (you idiot, you had the same tag scrawled on your hat). After he disappeared one day, I got letters from the state that I needed to garnish his wages for child support.

There was another guy he didn't like, and he tried to screw me on a business deal.

Lesson learned: trust your dog.

I believe in God's account of creation and that in that garden man and beasts communicated. When the wrong occurred, man lost his ability to understand the animals but IMO animals still know what we are saying and even thinking. (Yes I think mind think was created back then too, telepathy etc.)

Dogs can see auras from a farther distance than I can! I need less than 20' on a good day.

Back in 1992 after Hurricane Andrew wiped south Florida off the face of the earth there were thousands of contractors who were eager to come "fix" your home... they had just finished ripping the people of SC off after Hugo 3 years earlier and needed work. One after another my Figaro (black lab with white on his chest) refuse to allow into the yard. The now-ex got angry because we couldn't get our home rebuilt so he made me keep my dog away...and yep, he was ripped off by the contractors he hired.

Dogs can sense smells in layers like we see colors in the rainbow only to the max. Humans have smelling ability to about 5 million scent receptors...a blood hound has 500 million!

As for color, dogs can mainly see visually blues and yellows. (So most of the toys I buy are in those ranges).

I have 41 years in scouting but could never do the cliche' of naming a dog that :)

Considering the number of other animals that navigate, or perform other activities, with magnetic fields; I'm not terribly surprised that dogs have some idiosyncratic behavior related to it too.

As far as bathing, I must just have the luck to have weird dogs; ... I have more trouble keeping them OUT than I do IN (hard/uncomfortable to try to take a shower when you have a 170# mass of wet fur & slobber either between you and where the water falls from the nozzle, or putting a cold wet nose up your bum every few minutes)

KMAG YOYO said:
My dog is most definitely a better judge of character than I am. When I had a cabinet shop, I had a few employees. I had several who were at least OK, and Scout got super excited when they came in. But one was shady, and Scout would cower in the corner and growl. For the record, he doesn't discriminate by race.

Sure enough, the shady one stole my best cordless drill and marked my building with his tag (you idiot, you had the same tag scrawled on your hat). After he disappeared one day, I got letters from the state that I needed to garnish his wages for child support.

There was another guy he didn't like, and he tried to screw me on a business deal.

Lesson learned: trust your dog.

Sadly that's the one thing my dogs suck at...they pretty much love everyone, even the neighbor who I ended up having to get a protection order against! They'll protect me if someone is threatening me, but they'd let anyone in the house just for a few belly rubs!

DuneElliot said:
Sadly that's the one thing my dogs suck at...they pretty much love everyone, even the neighbor who I ended up having to get a protection order against! They'll protect me if someone is threatening me, but they'd let anyone in the house just for a few belly rubs!

Yeah, I remember a story about when Mike Wendland (Roadtrekin[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]g podcast) had a couple [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]guys break into his class B Roadtrek while his do[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]g was in it --- the dash cam cau[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ght what the [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]guys looked like and sounded like as they petted Tai and told him what a pretty and [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]good boy he was while they were stealin[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]g all the electronics and pawn-worthy items ...[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]