What ya think?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of those old Dodges are still in good running order but it just depends. If you can find an older mechanic who is familiar with 'em and can check it out for you, it may be OK. You see those old Titans around on CL pretty regularly and I've thought about buying one before because I'm pretty familiar with Dodges. The MPG would be way worse than in a van, so if you didn't plan on doing a whole lot of travelling, it might work out. This one seems to be in pretty fair shape (from a distance anyway) and may have possibilities. The price is right, so it's not going to be on CL for long. If you go for it, just have plenty of reserve cash when you hit the road.

BTW: If it needs tires they are expensive!!

Grand Rapids MI is snow country, right?

If that things been sitting exposed to the weather, as the pictures certainly imply, pay extra special attention to the roof. Any sign there has been leaking issues, and I would RUN, not walk away from it, or you're liable to be dealing with rotting wood and mold in the walls.

Does it have plates on it? Can it be taken out for a nice long drive - say half an hour to an hour at highway speeds so you can get it good and warm, and you and your mechanic can feel how it handles?

Personally, I wouldn't buy something like this if I couldn't test drive it, But I'm sure there are some people here who might disagree with me about that.

Good luck!

Regards
John

Wow, I wouldn't take this thing even if it were free. You can see by this guy's yard that his nickname is not Mr Meticulous Maintenance. What else leaks, is broken, is dry rotted, is rusted or needs reupholstering besides the furnace? Of course, he still has the non functioning furnace if you want it. He put it out with the junk in the yard or tossed it in a corner of the garage somewhere under a pile of clutter because .... doesn't everyone? If you take this thing, it's going to cost you tens of thousands more than it will be worth, even if it were in great condition when you are done. You could take the purchase and repair money and buy something that has been well maintained and is not a mess.

Just my opinion.

That's real clean for it's age. A 440 wedge with no overdrive will get maybe 8 mpg.

jeanontheroad said:
He put it out with the junk in the yard or tossed it in a corner of the garage somewhere under a pile of clutter because .... doesn't everyone?

In Appalachia the answer is YES.

Scrap steel is $12/hundred so think of it as a bank account.

Mr.LooRead said:
In Appalachia the answer is YES.

Uhm, you DO know that Appalachian Hillbillies are usually NOT considered role models in the rest of the U.S., right?

Regards
John

Money in the bank is money in the bank. It earns interest, gives you investment options and makes your financial advisor happy,

Junk in the yard is junk in the yard. It houses vermin, lowers property values and pisses off your neighbors.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Uhm, you DO know that Appalachian Hillbillies are usually NOT considered role models in the rest of the U.S., right?

Regards
John

I get that same attitude when I snowbird in the coastal counties of South Florida, so that’s way I tend to stay north of Orlando where I can be with my own kind..

I was going to say something about the yard too. kind of a reflection of the maintenance of the mh. however you might make your money back scrapping it. he doesn't say how long it's been sitting, check the tires real good. a 76 with 41k that's like 1100/year which is believable, I think. but it sure has sat a lot. highdesertranger

The big question for you Katelyn, is how much are you thinking you're gonna drive it?? Whacha got it mind for it??

It WOULD make a good cheap home, but it's going to have issues...no 2 ways around it.
Lunfu is right...a 70's Mopar big block 440 is gonna get 6 mpg's...empty or loaded, it doesn't matter. (I've had several)

$650 IS a good price, as long as it doesn't have serious leaks. (and it WILL have some...so be ready) Soft wood is a NO-GO!!! (don't kid yourself into thinking that this is an easy replacement either. I've done several repairs to these guys, and it's ALOT of work!)

The furnace is an easy cheap replacement at the junkyard. $20 tops.

Patrick46 said:
The furnace is an easy cheap replacement at the junkyard. $20 tops.

. . . Because there's absolutely NOTHING scary about going to sleep with a fire burning inside something you pulled out of a junkyard for twenty bucks ?!?

Seriously, Patrick, you got a death wish, or what?

Regards
John

If it runs would buy it just cause it's cute. Great size for parking and the interior looks like it's been cared for. If in fact his parents owned it, the condition of his yard really doesn't matter. I had two 70s class Cs and got a lot of use out of both of them,

From a practical and logical standpoint (replies from the OC crowd not warranted) as a fixed dwelling that could move on occasion the math comes to about $4.30 per square foot.

A sunroom installer in my area advertises he will build you a new sunroom for $99 a square foot, which would give this MH a value of about $15k.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Seriously, Patrick, you got a death wish, or what?

John...

first, you gotta remember with whom you're dealing with.
I do this kinda thing on a daily basis. Also being a custom fabricator...I can pretty much build or modify anything I want to my liking.

second...a death wish???
Have you ever looked at a furnace in an RV in a junkyard?? (I love me some good junkyards!!) :) I've seen a number of them that looked darn near brand new!! (lotsa near-new stoves too!)
I'm certaintly NOT suggesting that the OP buy some rusty, leaky old furnace and see how well that works!! (lets not take everything to such extremes.....OK??)

Patrick46 said:
John...

first, you gotta remember with whom you're dealing with.
I do this kinda thing on a daily basis. Also being a custom fabricator...I can pretty much build or modify anything I want to my liking.

Patrick, I will happily concede that point. About YOU.

Given many of the questions we both see posted here, are you really comfortable putting that out as a general recommendation?

I'm handy with tools, and can almost always figure out how anything mechanical works. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with a junkyard propane furnace, no matter how "new" it looked.

But I'm a fairly cautious fellow. I don't know how I'm going to die, of course. But I can GUARANTEE you it won't be the result of a "Hold my beer. I want to try something." incident.

Stay safe.

Regards
John

Awwww......c'mon John!! Live alittle!!

Some of my best shenanagans were accomplished durring onna those "hold my beer" moments!! :D

...and I've had some dandy's too!! :p