What wind turbine do I get?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungVan

Reaction score
I live in Canada and I need tons of electricity. I plan to put on 4 100 watt solar panels. It get's dark quick, we only get sunlight for about 9 hours a day, and I won't always be on top of my rv cleaning the snow off my panels. because of this, I plan to get a wind turbine and a small quiet generator. What wind turbine should I get that can stand canadian winters and will produce enough electricity to compliment the solar panels. Thanks!

YoungVan said:
I live in Canada and I need tons of electricity. I plan to put on 4 100 watt solar panels. It get's dark quick, we only get sunlight for about 9 hours a day, and I won't always be on top of my rv cleaning the snow off my panels. because of this, I plan to get a wind turbine and a small quiet generator. What wind turbine should I get that can stand canadian winters and will produce enough electricity to compliment the solar panels. Thanks!

I don't know if there's anybody here with any practical experience using a wind turbine.  I don't remember the subject coming up here before, anyway.  Which leads me to suggest you should be asking about this in a forum devoted to alternate energy.  Here's one, there are probably more if you hunt around.

http://www.greenpowertalk.org/

I suggest you get some wind logging stats for the area before deciding to get one, at all. Many work in a narrow range of wind speeds and don't put out that much. Marine use favours them so I would go looking around the yachting shops to pick one. If you are getting a generator, maybe you don't need one. As said, alternative power forums and blogs might be a good place to search for info.

Air X is now branded under Primus. And six years later $550 is $895.

On Amazon:

Primus Air 30 Off Grid Wind Turbine 400W / 12V (Formerly Air X Land)
by Primus Wind Power, Colorado USA
$895.00new(1 offer)

31l6Kg0QuFL._AC_US160_.jpg

Visit www.primuswindpower.com for more comprehensive information regarding Primus Wind Turbines, Off Grid Wind Power, and to find out if your location has sufficient wind.

Attachments

• 31l6Kg0QuFL._AC_US160_.jpg
    31l6Kg0QuFL._AC_US160_.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 139
Unless you are in an area with a constant wind (like an ocean) wind power is not feasible. They are not very reliable and they are expensive. You could get a lot more reliable (much longer lasting) solar for the price of a wind generator. Just watch some YouTube on the wind generators. For the $600 or so for a wind generator you could pick up another 460+ watts of solar. Get some portable ground mounted ones and the snow will be easy to wipe off.

L tripper is right I've done some wind generators. They are higher maintenance than most realize. Buy more solar.!Commercial panels are recycled even though they still work so you might be surprised at what you can buy used.

The solar guy recommends solar. The generator guy recommends gasoline generator. Look at your location. If you are in Canada you will not have enough daylight to generate the solar. If you live on a mountain top you might have enough wind. Maybe. If you live where wood fuel is cheap maybe a wood fired steam turbine might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather than recommend a specific model, I'll just say that you should take a hard look at marine-type wind turbines. I'm talking about the kind for sailboats, etc. They are well built, lightweight, and pretty efficient as far as I know. Unfortunately, they are also expensive.

Tom

Wind Gens can work well for you but I hate the wind and having that much wind would make me want to leave and find a place less windy. The desert gets LOTS of wind in the winter, enough to justify it, probably the same thing with beach camping on the Texas Gulf. You'll get your moneys worth. The midwest gets tons of wind. The estimate is if e built enough wind gens in the midwest, they could provide power for the entire rest of the county. But, no power lines in place.

I'd buy one from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun just because I would trust them. If you don't know a subject, at least know the dealer.
https://www.solar-electric.com/