What type of laptop do you recommend

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That depends on what you plan to do with that said decive...

Phones are great for phone calls. Some can do other things, but none will do it as well as a laptop.

Netbooks are a great compromise system. You can do it all, but not well. Dont expect to play games or even to be able to load too much software (limited hard drive pace), but you can browse the Internet and answer your emails just fine.

Tablets are much like a netbook, but most cost more (!) and are capable of doing less (!). The Android operating system is great for ease-of-use to install apps and such, but you will find massive limitations on these devices. Microsoft Surface uses Windows 8 as it's operating system so you can load anything that you can on a normal laptop, but it has a big cost too it too.

A true Laptop is the best all-around device, but it will consume the most power (I assume this is a concern for you). While other devices can go many hours to days on a single charge, a laptop will only get you a few hours at best. You will spend more energy charging it than any other device, but it will do everything you want it too do. Budget laptops will not run hard-core games of course.

Personally I have three of the devices; A standard cell phone for emergencies, a 10" netbook ($300) for my GPS program while driving and watching movies while boondocking, and lastly a monstrous gaming laptop ($1400) since my work demands such a powerful machine. The gaming laptop uses 90-140 watts, while the netbook uses about 20 watts.

I have tried multiple tablets and found all to be completely and utterly worthless unless you are looking to show off to the peeps in a coffee shop. The ONLY thing they have going form them is the low power consumption (near the same as a netbook) and portability.

Sorry for the typo's, I can not edit the post now that 5 minutes have passed.

If you are only going to have one device I think a full power 13.3 inch laptop is a great compromise. I've had Acers and they are good solid machines at a good price. But I think Asus tends to be a higher end, faster device.

But really, they are all good anymore. Mainly I buy on price and the current sale price for the features I want.

I do think you should buy as fast and full-featured as you can afford. You might own it for 3-5 years so you want to be ready for a new applications that may be coming.
Bob

i have a acer Aspire. had it for a long time. windows 7. No problems web, office applications, even movies from amazon.

Sometimes a coworker will ask me my opinion on a "Chrome" laptop/netbook. My response is not simply no, but heeeeell no. That's because such a laptop/netbook has minimal internal storage space and instead relies on storing your files in the "cloud". Well that's all fine and dandy until you are parked somewhere in the boonies with no internet connection, and then you are SOL.

That's why I prefer a laptop with the largest internal drive as possible so I can fill to my heart's content. That usually means at least 750GB, or preferably a Terabyte or more. I also want more RAM memory as possible even if I have to add more at an optional cost. That means a minimum of 4 to 6 GB of RAM memory, preferably 8 GB or more if the laptop can handle it. More RAM memory means you can run multiple apps simultaneously with less risk of crashing, buffering, freezing, getting the "blue screen of death", etc.

If I could have my pick of any laptop, I'd be tempted to get an Alienware laptop. Alienware laptops are made for "gaming", but I'm not so much into gaming, I'd get the laptop because of its high end tricked out specs. Here's a link for Alienware laptops:http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx

I've also had good luck with Toshiba and Sony laptops. Whatever you do, make sure to get a laptop with USB 3.0 because it truly is blazing saddles for transferring files. I can no longer stand the slow(er) USB 2.0 speed. Fortunately, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 stuff, but not the other way around.

EDIT: Although I usually prefer a full featured laptop for its power and versatility, the main downside is that laptops are usually power hungry and will drain in 4 to 6 hours. That's why I also use tablets that are Windows and Android based. My Android tablets are simply for entertainment and media consumption purpose, in other words for fun. My Windows tablet is for true "work" purpose, and the fact it can accept all my legacy Windows programs that I've accumulated over the past dozen plus years.

I have a 13-inch Mac. Love it. I like the compact size. I like the ease of use (once you make the transition from PC). I like the fact that I can walk into an Apple store 10 years from now and get free tech advice. I like the long battery life and the backlit keyboard and the extra safety from viruses.

I don't like that it won't talk to my Galaxy phone until I download an app. I don't like the clumsy way I have to upload my Youtube videos. I don't like the fact that 17-inch screen have been discontinued, which means that DH won't buy a Mac when he replaces his PC, even tho he prefers a Mac. I don't like that they no longer include a disk drive in the laptop, so you need to buy a seperate disk drive.

One big advantage is that tablets can last a good long 8 to 10 hours of battery life on a single charge. Plus the fact that I choose tablets that can be charged using a Micro USB cord, which is the same cord that charges my smartphone. Very convenient.

I have a Nook tablet, which I have had for years. I might pick up a Kindle, instead, or another type if I was buying, now. There is too much online that the Nook won't do that even my phone will do.

Caseyc: same cord

Me: Yes, definitely an advantage. Everything I have has a different charger connection. That is a pain. I think when my Nook finally dies, I will look for a tablet with a connection that matches one of my other gadgets and maybe download an app that lets me load books.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Assuming if you get a new Windows laptop that is equipped with Windows 8 operating system, you might want to consider installing the above link for the free "Classic Shell" app. This free app will give you the same functionality of Windows 7 that many long time users are accustomed to using. I use this myself for my Lenovo Windows 8 tablet. I can't stand Windows 8, but Classic Shell offers Windows 7 functionality that I'm used to. Plus my Lenovo Windows tablet still retains its touch screen functionality. A total win-win in my opinion.

+1 on the Acer. I have a 14" Extenza with W7. I'm shopping for a tablet though, maybe a Nextbook? $79 at Walmart.

When it comes to laptops, I'm all 'business grade'. Right now I've got a Lenovo X220t convertible. Mil-spec for moisture/dust/drops w. a 3yr next business day warranty. Also has a matte IPS screen.
Now, if I were to go a cheaper route, one of those new Win 8 tablets w. the Baytrail Atom would be MIGHTY attractive. In fact, I'm rather looking at getting one as a backup unit. ..Willy.

I have an older Acer dual core laptop I got for free with a blown mainboard I fixed with a $55 mainboard I bought off Ebay.. :)

I ceremoniously tossed my much hated Iphone 4S into the fire box of a steam engine while maniacally laughing because I just got my upgrade Droid Ultra and I love it!

The best tool I found for deciding between laptops was cnet reviews. They run real life tests for battery life and power consumption under different conditions - at idle, watching a movie, etc. The numbers vary widely from one model to another.

What I did was come up with several possibilities based on deals I could find and specs that were important to me (in my case, 15" laptop with a 1080p screen) then looked at the power usage. The Sony Vaio came out on top for me.

Slow... I just replaced a Nextbook Premium7 ... It lasted about a year and a half....I loved it while I had it, I'm not completely sure that it's early death was the tablet's fault...I dragged that thing everywhere and used it daily. I also have a Nextbook premium10. It's about a year old, It works as well as the 7" but for some applications (my fav is e-reader).. it is a bit chunky. My Nextbook 7 was just replaced with a RCA tablet from Wal-Mart (69.98).. I have no complains with it except it seems more delicate than the Nextbook. Both have the SD capability, which is the most important feature to me.

Like a couple of other people said, I went with a high end workstation grade laptop to use for serious photography processing.

In my case, I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad 530w.

If you can do your own tinkering, you can save a bunch by buying a base model and doing your own upgrades. As an example, I bought mine with 4 meg of memory, pulled their modules out and replaced them with high capacity Corsair memory. Memory is now maxed out on that machine, and I saved 8 or 9 hundred dollars over what Lenovo would have charged to ship it with that much memory.

Btw, if you go to Amazon and search on "Windows 7 laptop" you will see that there are still a few machines available at very nice prices.

I would stay away from Windows 8 at all costs.

Regards
John

Van-Tramp said:
I have tried multiple tablets and found all to be completely and utterly worthless unless you are looking to show off to the peeps in a coffee shop. The ONLY thing they have going form them is the low power consumption (near the same as a netbook) and portability.

So glad to hear someone other than me say that! I tried a tablet so I could see what all the fuss was about. IMO the whole "app" environment is worthless for anybody who wants anything other than a toy.

If all the OP wants a computer for is to watch movies, send email, and surf (not all at the same TIME, of course, since you also can't multi-task on a toy), then the lower power requirements are a real plus. Otherwise, there aren't any.

Oh, and be prepared to have to live forever with the crapware that you can easily uninstall on a laptop, because unless you root it* there IS no "uninstall" available for the apps they got paid to ship their tablets with. (*And if you know enough to know how to do that, you probably wouldn't want one anyway.)

But I'm not bitter or anything... :rolleyes:

Am beginning to think this is a generational thing, and I'm just the cranky old lady telling the neighborhood kids, "In MY day, we had REAL computers that you could actually accomplish things with..."

I bought a laptop on Ebay very cheap $127.00. It has Windows 7 and wifi. I wanted a real keyboard and a nice sized screen. It is an older model of a IBM ThinkPad/Lenova. It is refurbished. I only do email- surf the web-use media player. I have a remote hard drive that I store pictures and other stuff on. I didn't want something fancy. It is just a simple laptop... http://stores.ebay.com/ATR-COMPUTERS-INC?_rdc=1 they have many models and good prices...low to high...I have had it for a year with no problem. "I refuse to type with my thumbs!" Hahaha!

I really like having a touchscreen with my X220t. Find that surfing the net is much faster than with a mouse and, yep, Windows 7. ..Willy.

I got a small Acer, maybe three years old now. Paid 199.00 does everything I want to do. I am not a gamer, I like to surf the net, email, participate in forums, store pictures, so it works for me. My wife has a Mac, it looks nice, big screens but I think the edges are too sharp and overall too big. I get about 4 hours a charge, I dont' spend hours on it so I charge it every couple of days. Charges up in an hour. At first I worried about the size of the keyboard but I have adjusted and it works fine once I got used to it.